Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2021, 10:35 PM   #1

Electrical issue, outlet near TV and the TV outlet stopped working

So tonight I went and plugged in my laptop to the outlet in my 2020 24MBH, next to the TV and it lost power as well as out mobile internet device. The TV also doesn't work.

I have physically turned off and on every breaker (none were tripped) and the outlet and TV won't turn on. Every single other outlet works, as do all the other appliances and such. Only those two outlets quit.

I don't think a fuse popped. I've also checked all the GFCI outlets I know of.

I've also written to Jayco asking for a wiring diagram, so we'll see if they get back to me.

Anyone else have any ideas??

R
Old 11-19-2021, 06:18 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan B. View Post
So tonight I went and plugged in my laptop to the outlet in my 2020 24MBH, next to the TV and it lost power as well as out mobile internet device. The TV also doesn't work.

I have physically turned off and on every breaker (none were tripped) and the outlet and TV won't turn on. Every single other outlet works, as do all the other appliances and such. Only those two outlets quit.

I don't think a fuse popped. I've also checked all the GFCI outlets I know of.

I've also written to Jayco asking for a wiring diagram, so we'll see if they get back to me.

Anyone else have any ideas??

R

My first guess would be a bad connection in the outlet, and when you plugged something in it lost connection. The outlets used aren't of the best quality.

Probably Jayco won't send a schematic being under warranty still, their response will be to take it to your overwhelmed dealer in 6 months!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 06:34 AM   #3

You might want to check all your wire connections and make sure there all tight or maybe one is broken. This panel is on my yearly inspection check list as these screws do have a history of backing off.
Attached Thumbnails
19677B2F-0C3E-4981-B41E-38B2CCE54056.jpg  
Old 11-19-2021, 09:38 AM   #4

I have a 2022 166fbs. It has a hidden outlet in the water heater compartment for the heating element. I am thinking it is also a GFCI.
thedempseys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #5

This is what I'm thinking at this point. I've used my multi meter to determine all my fuses are still functional. I've touched every GFCI I can find as well. Unless it's physically behind a wall I don't think I missed any, but I'm still new (just passed my 1yr of ownership!).

I also wrote to Jayco and they sent me the electrical schematics which show me what and where the outlets are. According to their diagram the outlets in question are NOT GFCI protected.

On the diagram, I see that the affected outlets are designated with BB/CB. We're using 30amp service so BB is what we're going for. The breaker B is for Utility and I've reset that one several times. What is also confusing me a bit is that the diagram shows 5 outlets, 4 normal outlets and a single flush mount (for the fireplace). I have located 3 of the 4 normal outlets.

On the diagram snip I took you can see in the slide out area there are 4 outlets that link into a junction box. I can't get to that without taking down the TV and removing the wall it sits on (yay fun). But the outlet the TV plugs into does not work, the outlet in question nearest the table does not work, the outlet in the cubby on the right does not work. The fireplace outlet does work, but that one is on a separate circuit breaker.

Beyond pulling the TV down and looking in the junction box, what else can I try? I do not feel at this point it is a single outlet problem as 3 of the 4 don't work.
Attached Thumbnails
RV-Schematic-Outlets-Snip.png  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:41 PM   #6

Okay, so I decided to get squirrely and rip the wall apart, gently.

I took down the TV looking for the junction box, it's not behind the TV. I then decided I would try to look behind the wallboards where the cubby holes are, nope, junction box had to be behind the fireplace.

I found that if you gently pull on the headboard it comes right out, it's not screwed it. Just pin-nailed. As long as you're gentle you can pull it off and put it back on w/o issue.

From there, remove the two screws holding the glass on the fireplace off. Then gently lift it up and remove the glass. Behind it there are 8 screws, 4 on each side. Remove them and the fireplace just pulls right out, just don't pull too hard or you'll yank the power cord down from behind the tv, and out of the cubby, which would only make you mad.

From there, you can see the fireplace is held up/supported by a plywood structure held in place by two screws in the front. Remove them so you can pull out the support and access the junction box.

From there, I removed the cover from the junction box and was able to see the jumble of wires. I tried to move a couple of them by gently moving the red wirecaps. Soon as I did that I heard a sizzle and saw it illuminate. A telltale sign that the connection is bad.

Sure enough, once I secured the power and verified it off with my mutli-meter I removed the wire nut and saw that the main power wires that feed the outlets wasn't even screwed or twisted to the main wires, it was barely touching anything. (See pic).

I then untwisted the barely touching wire and dressed it back straight and wound it around the main twist of wires and rescrewed on the wire nut more securely. Before sealing everything back up I turned the power back and and tested the outlets, they all worked.

Then it was just a matter of reversing the order in which I removed things and put everything back where it was and secured it all up.

See all pics for what I had to go through for a single stupid wire.
Attached Thumbnails
rv-junction-box-miswired.jpg   rv-outlet-teardown.jpg   rv-outlet-teardown-powerverify.jpg  
Old 11-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
You might want to check all your wire connections and make sure there all tight or maybe one is broken. This panel is on my yearly inspection check list as these screws do have a history of backing off.
This is what lead me to think that the junction box might have a messed up connection. Sure enough, that was it. Thanks for inspiring me to dig into it a bit deeper. (I also checked the breaker screws that I could see and were okay.)
Old 11-20-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
Site Team

Every problem solved can make the next one easier.....sometimes!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:37 PM   #9

That’s great you found it. I feel for people that have to totally rely on the dealers for repairs. I’m always removing panels and stuff just to see what’s in them.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:53 PM   #10

Great sleuthing! Congrats on that find n thanks for the follow up.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #11
Site Team

Nice job! And all done with your arm in a cast, by the looks of it. I applaud your diligence!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:14 PM   #12

Just another example of “JAYCO” quality workmanship. Thier assembly line workers should be required to spend 3 nights in a RV that was built on a different shift than the one they work on…..(with their wife and kids in the middle of summer or middle of winter,,,I bet you workmanship would improve)…..
Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #13

I had a similar situation. Jayco was awesome and sent me all the electrical diagrams for my model, Huge help. anyway the problem was with that outlet that I plugged something into. I took that outlet apart, redid the connections inside (no cutting or wire stripping) put it back together and up and running fine.
Subchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:42 PM   #14

Is that a military issue brown t shirt?
Subchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #15

Suspicion is that problem is in the receptacle you plugged PC into? They type is "Speedbox" and wires push in; my Outdoor/Rec Ctr had the back missing that hold wires/ copper contacts in place; I pushed wires back into the copper and used silicone to hold all in place and all still good 3yrs later. You may/ may not need to replace? They make a special/ expensive tool to push wires in and snap back into place to hold it all together, but you may have broken plastic? Good Luck (Now see you found problem)

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group...ustrial&sr=1-4
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:40 PM   #16

I don’t feel wire nuts and solid copper wire should be used in RV’s. When I worked for the military all elect wires were stranded and the type wire nuts used were crimped with a special tool made for them. When I was a youngster I worked in a foundry and they one timevshipped their equipment by rail. When the equipment reached its destination and was installed it wouldn’t run. The wire nuts fell off. I always wrap my wires with the wire nuts with electrical tape for safety.
mrpavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:16 AM   #17

^ this. Any wire nuts that I use I wrap with electrical tape for extra security. If I have the space, and patience, sometimes I'll "J hook" the two wires together and solder then shrink wrap for low(er) voltage applications.
gobdeep is offline   Reply With Quote