Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-21-2019, 03:41 PM   #1

Electrical Mysteries

We've a 2018 Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK and have lost electricity in several receptacles inside in the kitchen and down the exterior right hand side. A retired electrician who is here in our campsite took a look but could not find more than one GFI plug. We searched inside and out but can't locate any others.

Any suggestions where the others might be located?

Thanks!
soperman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
They are usual daisy changed and look as a normal plug. They have a little sticker on them, but might have been rubbed off. Since RV plugs don't have screw on wiring but rather clamp on wiring, it is possible a wire broke off or let loose. Check and start from the GFI plug and go to the next logic plug which isn't working.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
They are usual daisy changed and look as a normal plug. They have a little sticker on them, but might have been rubbed off. Since RV plugs don't have screw on wiring but rather clamp on wiring, it is possible a wire broke off or let loose. Check and start from the GFI plug and go to the next logic plug which isn't working.
Just another thing to P me off about Jayco. Am so done with them! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soperman3 View Post
Most RV'S are built that way... Sorry... It's not a house.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Is the GFI located in an outlet or in the circuit breaker panel? Verify that you dont have a combo gfi/circuit breaker in the sub panel, These can be identified with the little white tab on it. If you have a gfi plug unit, does that one operate? if not go to sub panel and check for open breaker. IF it working, test the unit and while it is off see if any other outlets stop working. You could also ask Jayco for the electrical drawings for you unit and once you have them you can trace down the issue easier.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #6

Quote:
You'll find that the whole RV industry uses the same type of plug. What a lot of us do is change out all the electrical plugs ourselves.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Is the GFI located in an outlet or in the circuit breaker panel? Verify that you dont have a combo gfi/circuit breaker in the sub panel, These can be identified with the little white tab on it. If you have a gfi plug unit, does that one operate? if not go to sub panel and check for open breaker. IF it working, test the unit and while it is off see if any other outlets stop working. You could also ask Jayco for the electrical drawings for you unit and once you have them you can trace down the issue easier.
The GFI is a plug unit and it's operating. There are no open breakers . I'll call Jayco tomorrow and get the schematics. Thank you.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Id the GFI plug is working and the next plug isn't, that means there might be a loose connection in the GFI plug. Since you had an electrician working on it, I wonder his qualifications.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
You'll find that the whole RV industry uses the same type of plug. What a lot of us do is change out all the electrical plugs ourselves.
LOL.. good for you! I'm a retired banker and they didn't offer any training in RV electrical repair. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Id the GFI plug is working and the next plug isn't, that means there might be a loose connection in the GFI plug. Since you had an electrician working on it, I wonder his qualifications.
Geeze ALJO, he's a good samaritan. I didn't ask for a resume [emoji16]
Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #11

What were you doing when they quit working? What was the last thing you used in said outlets? If the bathroom gfi is functional and the kitchen and exterior are not then it's either a bad gfi or a bad connection @ the gfi or next recp. If you happened to be using space heater then I would put money on the bad connection. Either way you have to pull the plugs out and figure out if your chasing the hot or a neutral. Good luck !
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
LOL.. good for you! I'm a retired banker and they didn't offer any training in RV electrical repair. Thanks.
As long as your retired now I'm sure you'll be giving this trailer a good work out traveling about the country side so it might behove you to install better quality inlets. If I were you ( we are a friendly group & always willing to help our neighbors ) I would ask this camper that's an electrician to show you how to change these out. Their super easy and you'll find other things that need your attention form time to time and just like us say " Who was the stupid slug that did this".
Old 01-22-2019, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
What were you doing when they quit working? What was the last thing you used in said outlets? If the bathroom gfi is functional and the kitchen and exterior are not then it's either a bad gfi or a bad connection @ the gfi or next recp. If you happened to be using space heater then I would put money on the bad connection. Either way you have to pull the plugs out and figure out if your chasing the hot or a neutral. Good luck !
There is a two outlet retractable "tower" in the kitchen in which were plugged the coffee pot and toaster oven. The two receptacles went first. We plugged in a power strip to an under cupboard to replace the tower. No space heater.

New occurrence: woke up and receptacle #2 no longer works. Moved up over the sink to a GFI receptacle which is still functioning. And found a 15 amp breaker (bathroom) had tripped. Reset it and all is good in that area.

Calling Jayco today for a schematic, then will start replacing the receptacles.

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:59 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
As long as your retired now I'm sure you'll be giving this trailer a good work out traveling about the country side so it might behove you to install better quality inlets. If I were you ( we are a friendly group & always willing to help our neighbors ) I would ask this camper that's an electrician to show you how to change these out. Their super easy and you'll find other things that need your attention form time to time and just like us say " Who was the stupid slug that did this".
Yes, a lot.. wintering in Florida for 4 1/2 months, then home. Were planning on a month in the Canadian Maritimes this summer.

We will replace the inlets ASAP.

Our forum has been a wonderful source of information and I greatly appreciate each member who posts on an issue!

Thanks again [emoji41]
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #15

Glad to hear you are not camping on lake Champlain this week. It is cold in Vermont.
Best of luck in getting it sorted out. If you get the electricals it is a big help in figuring out the circuit layouts.
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #16

The GFI reset outlet on our 14 WHawk is located inside the cabinet containing the fridge and you access it via the outside wall vent/access. Remove the cover outside and the outlet is obvious. The fridge is plugged into it so when the gfi trips, the fridge switches to gas.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #17

This may help

If GFCI checks out, I would check the junction boxes.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia389 View Post
This may help

If GFCI checks out, I would check the junction boxes.
How nice of you to do that mia389, although that's not my floorplan. By God's Grace's we found a certified RV tech driving back to our site earlier. He's coming over when he's done.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Glad to hear you are not camping on lake Champlain this week. It is cold in Vermont.
Best of luck in getting it sorted out. If you get the electricals it is a big help in figuring out the circuit layouts.
We're sure glad we're here in Florida too. Relatives and friends have kept us updated and I've got the Channel 5 app on my devices. Not at all a good situation.

Thanks for the luck! We've located a certified technician and he'll be over later this afternoon.

Stay warm!

Joe
Old 01-22-2019, 11:59 AM   #20

My bad, I thought it was a MBOK. This might help the mobile tech.

mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote