Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #1

Electrical outlets

Weird. I have only two of my elec outlets working. And the GFI reset button won't work either.

Is this something I can fix myself??

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 06:50 AM   #2

You have checked the breakers, right? If they are ok then I would suggest getting the dealer to troubleshoot... especially if your TT is under warranty.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:41 AM   #3

I only have a handful of outlets in my TT, but if the gfci trips they all go down. With what you are describing it appears your GFCI is on a different breaker than your other 2 outlets. In that case I would check the breakers, if all breakers are not tripped you may want to pull the GFCI out and look for a loose wire/connection. The next step may be to replace the CGCI.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #4

I have a similar TT to yours, and the GFI affects only 2 recepticle locations, the bathroom and the kitchen counter. If the GFI reset doesn't fix it, then you likely have a bad GFI. For mine, that's the one in the bathroom, which controls both. In other words, the kitchen counter is a regular outlet wired to be a slave to the GFI in the bathroom.

P.S. come to think of it, I forgot about the outlet on the outside of the TT. It's labelled as GFI protected as well, and is also slaved to the GFI in the bathroom.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

Turn off and on all the breakers one by one, then try to reset the GFI. On my last camper, the GFI was also connected to the refrigerator just something to check.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

My trailer has three different locations for GFCI breakers... Usually anywhere there is a sink you should find a GFCI breaker nearby. I have two sink areas inside and of course the outside 120VAC plug is also a GFCI cirucit. It will trip my kitchen sink area GFCI receptacle

Unplug any and all things from your 120VAC wall sockets...

Some follks that have tried to use an external INVERTER (Not CONVERTER) has run into this problem as well. If you have one of those make sure it is switched out of the loop.

Just unplug everything that is plugged in and then try another RESET... Find the other two GFCI units as well and make they have not been tripped.

Sometimes if you are connected to your home garage 120VAC circuit using an extension cord and RV30A-15/20A adapter and all three wires are not being used this may trip on you as well...

Usually this always points back to something you all have done recently electrical wise... Added something new...

GFCI are tricky little things...

These GFCI receptacles are known to go bad as well...
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:02 AM   #7

Thank you for all the responses so far.

Since this is an electrical issue and I am still under warranty, I am taking it in this morning to have the pros look at it.

I think it may be the gfci in the kitchen. I cannot push the button in or reset it. Might be jammed.

The kitchen outlet, bathroom outlet and outdoor outlet will not work. And also the fridge is not cooling. I am wondering if they are all connected somehow.

I will let you all know the results when it comes back.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 06-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #8

It sounds like they are all on the same circuit. All of those outlets need to be on a ground fault outlet. I have one GFCI in my trailer and it is located in the bathroom. The outlets near the sink and the outdoor outlet are all connected to that gfci.

Tracy from Central PA

2010 Jayco 17Z Ex-Port
2004 Ford Explorer V8 with the tow package
2010 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 132 - Nights Camping in My Z 102
2011 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 107
2012 Camping Stats
Nights camping 133 - Nights camping in my Z 128
2013 Camping Stats
Nights Camping 66 Nights
tlhdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

Very typical in both home and RV installs - one GFI outlet controls multiple outlets. In my house, the same GFI runs the front and back yard outlets. Considering GFI outlets price it seems unlikely they saved money doing it that way.

All that said, it's not hard to troubleshoot with a little electrical know how. The easiest thing to do is probably to pick up a new GFI outlet and replace the one where the button is. Should it continue to pop - then you likely have a problem. The RV AC system is the same as your homes in most cases, so take a look at this stie for some ideas.

I'd also consider looking at the wiring and see how hard it would be to give the fridge it's own GFI. As the outlet is somewhat exposed in most cases it should have a GFI, but I personally would rather it have its own rather than being shared with the rest of the trailer.

-Chak

My Write-up on managing 12V and batteries
LED Bulbs and what I did
Chakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chakara View Post
Very typical in both home and RV installs - one GFI outlet controls multiple outlets. In my house, the same GFI runs the front and back yard outlets. Considering GFI outlets price it seems unlikely they saved money doing it that way.

All that said, it's not hard to troubleshoot with a little electrical know how. The easiest thing to do is probably to pick up a new GFI outlet and replace the one where the button is. Should it continue to pop - then you likely have a problem. The RV AC system is the same as your homes in most cases, so take a look at this stie for some ideas.

I'd also consider looking at the wiring and see how hard it would be to give the fridge it's own GFI. As the outlet is somewhat exposed in most cases it should have a GFI, but I personally would rather it have its own rather than being shared with the rest of the trailer.

-Chak
Chak, thank you for the response. I was wondering if the fridge problem is somehow connected to my elec problem.
I will let you know hopefully by Friday.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 06-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #11

Just got my TT back and it was a loose wire in the back of the breaker box. It came loose and effected some of the outlets and the fridge.

Works great now and didn't cost anything!! WOOT.

Kathie

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 06-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
Site Team

Glad to hear it was a simple fix...........
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #13

i think one of the reasons they run multiple outlets off of just one GFCI at least in residential use, as it doesn't really require more, and you won't have to run around checking every room if one trips. i have a small house, and it only has two... well, maybe three now that i think... but if one trips, i usually know which one... (teenager with a 'straightening iron', whatever the **** that is)...

funny i haven't had that problem since she went to college... i have an entirely different problem(s) now!

yeah, i have plans for retirement... i plan to turn my on-off switch to 'off'.....
squidmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #14

The reason they only use 1 GFCI instead of multiple is because of cost. You can the same safe protection from 1 GFCI outlet that is used to protect multiple outlets. A regular receptacle costs abou $1.50 while a GFCI costs around $8.00
Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #15

With the price of copper now, it may be cheaper to install another GFCI than make a long run from one side of your house to the other. It would also depends on where your panel is located.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote