Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Cool Electrical Power

I own a 2006 Jayco Jayfeather 29y. I am new to this forum. At the campground, all electrical appliances were operating normally (e.g., a/c, microwave, etc.) In the middle of the night, I noticed that the microwave and a/c stopped working. I re-set the 30 amp circuit breaker switch outside at the electrical post and I re-set the circuit breaker switches inside the TT located beneath the refrigerator. The a/c and microwave still did not work. I tried this several times. I tested the voltage and polarity of the electrical post where my shoreline plug was connected. All tested normal. I tested the polarity of the electrical post in the space next to me and it too tested normal. So, I am thinking the electrical problem is inside the trailer but I don't know what next to check. I was able to close the slide-out using DC power but there is no AC power inside the trailer from any of the 110 outlets. Anyone have suggestions for me? What could the problem be? What should be checked next? Thank you, Robert.
rstilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Try resetting all the breakers a few time inside the TT. Sometimes the do not reset on the first try. As for the outlets you need to locate the GFI outlet and reset that one. Good luck
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Did you check your fuses?
THABULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #4

The fuses appear intact...I did re-set the circuit breakers several times inside the trailer without success. I can understand if one fuse (e.g., microwave) was defective but I am suspicious when multiple fuses that operate different appliances all cease to function simultaneously. I have read something called a power converter that sometimes wears out? Could a defective power converter cause my described trailer symptoms? I did not reset the GFI outlet.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #5

Fuses control only the 12V system. So fuses can be ruled out. Breakers control the 110V system. The GFI does not affect the A/C. So that is ruled out. The converter converts 110V to 12V. So that is not the problem. Now you must use a test light (110V, neon) or voltmeter. Start checking where the power cord connects to the converter. It could be you are not making a good connection at the electric pedestal. I could be burned, overheated connections where the power cable connects at the converter.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #6

The jayco dealer repaired the problem. A small black "hot" wire, about 2 inches, burned out. This wire is found under the bottom bed (bed next to bathroom). This wire is NOT easily accessible because it is buried beneath the bottom bunk deep within the wood paneling. Extended warranty cured the problem.