Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Electrical problem

New to site: I purchased a Joyce eagle and am looking for some help as related to an electrical issue. I have a freedom x sine wave inverter that runs the refrigerator and one outlet. Our camper is located on a private location about an hour from our home and we visit that location on the weekends. Last week when we arrived the inverter had shut off and everything in refrigerator was thawed and quite a mess. We cleaned everything up and I turned the battery disconnect off and then back on. Inverter came on and all was well for the three days that we spent here. Went home and returned the next weekend to find the same problem. Can not figure out what kicks the inverter off but it will reset fine and has been running all day. Any help or suggestions as to what to look for would be helpful. Thanks
Johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:12 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Does the site you are at have AC power? I assume not because you are running your inverter and, I assume again, off a battery. Correct? So what are you using to charge your battery?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Does the site you are at have AC power? I assume not because you are running your inverter and, I assume again, off a battery. Correct? So what are you using to charge your battery?
Yes I have shore power. 220 / 50 amp to run both air units. When the inverter is on I have power to the refrigerator but when it trips off is when I loose power to the refrigerator. It only powers one plug in behind the refrigerator and that is the one that goes off. Everything else is fine.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
Yes I have shore power. 220 / 50 amp to run both air units. When the inverter is on I have power to the refrigerator but when it trips off is when I loose power to the refrigerator. It only powers one plug in behind the refrigerator and that is the one that goes off. Everything else is fine.
The camper is only two years old and has been fine until now.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
OK, I'm confused.... if you have shore power, why are you running the fridge off of an inverter? Why isn't it running directly off of shore power?
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:44 AM   #6

Sorry I’m new to this sight and got a little confused about how to post. This camper was purchased new and I have made no modifications so it is factory. There is a plug behind the refrigerator that feeds a plug on the counter and powers the refrigerator also. When the inverter trips off then this plug goes dead. It’s the only one in the camper that does that. I can then turn the battery disconnect off and back on and it restores power to that plug making the refrigerator work again. Why it’s going through the inverter, I don’t know. I thought that the shore power went through the inverter until you unplugged and then the inverter was to pull from the battery and convert that back to 110 for traveling????? This ones got me....it’s been fine now for two days but when I go home and come back it will probably be off again. When I’m gone from here we shut everything off including air conditioning and it’s been 93+ the last two weeks...could it not be getting enough circulation and overheating causing it it shut down ???
Old 07-20-2019, 07:44 AM   #7

If you are on shore power you should be able to turn the inverter off. Most inverters pass through the AC even with the inverter off. Inverters will shut down when voltage gets too low which should not be your problem with your rig being plugged in.
houstonstroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #8

Your fridge may use more power during the defrost cycle, causing the inverter to cycle off as a safety.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 10:23 AM   #9

I agree. This never happened before until a couple of weeks ago. I can’t figure why it shuts down and when it does why don’t I still have power being plugged into shore power. Crazy !! Can’t go on with defrosted food every weekend. Thanks for all the help to all post.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonstroker View Post
If you are on shore power you should be able to turn the inverter off. Most inverters pass through the AC even with the inverter off. Inverters will shut down when voltage gets too low which should not be your problem with your rig being plugged in.
I just went out and turned the inverter off and the power to the refrigerator and plug on counter turned off. Everything else was fine. Turned the inverter back on and the power to refrigerator returned. Go figure
Old 07-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #11

Is it possible we are misusing the word inverter? Are you possibly taking about a problem with your shore power supply? If unsure please post a pic of your inverter.
Badamache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #12

[QUOTE=Badamache;778306]Is it possible we are misusing the word inverter? Are you possibly taking about a problem with your shore power supply? If unsure please post a pic of your inverter.[/QUOTE

No, I have 220v shore supply and everything else works fine. If the inverter is shut off or it trips itself off then I loose power to the refrigerator. The inverter is not allowing the shore power to pass through it as it is supposed to. I will be visiting the camper location this week and am going to figure this thing out.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #13

Non of this makes any sense. My guess is that the problem is with the inverter. Plug the frig into another outlet. Use an extension if necessary. Then let the frig run and I suspect the problem will disappear. If so there is something wrong with the inverter. Could be the defrost cycle on the frig overloading the inverter and causing it to shut down. What you have been doing is resetting the inverter overload switch.

Is this a residential type fridge. If yes that is probably why that outlet is wired thru the inverter allowing it to run via the battery when the TT is not connected to shore power.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 AM   #14

Your inverter has two power inputs. It sounds like the 12V input is working, but what about the 110V input? Are you getting 110V to the inverter? Did a connection come loose? Is the breaker that supplies the inverter tripped? If you are getting 110V to the inverter, but it isn't passing through, you've got an inverter problem. Does the inverter have an internal 110V breaker that you haven't found?
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I agree. This never happened before until a couple of weeks ago. I can’t figure why it shuts down and when it does why don’t I still have power being plugged into shore power. Crazy !! Can’t go on with defrosted food every weekend. Thanks for all the help to all post.
You inverter should be shut off when plugged in to shore power. It will over heat if left on and shut down. Inverter should only be on when no shore power is available. As in when towing or dry camping
Farmboy98922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 02:02 PM   #16

Electrical problem

I had the exact same problem with my 2018 Jayco Eagle. The problem was with the wiring to the inverter. The wires are supposed to be inserted in a clamp type connector going into the inverter. When they installed the inverter, the factory never put the wires in the clamps. Just layed them in a hole above the clamp. My trailer was about ready to catch fire. I dropped the inverter down to gain access to the clamps. Installed the wires in the clamps and haven’t had any issues with that since.
solocanoejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #17

I had the same problem with my 2019 355MBQS with the frig shutting down when plugged into shore power. The wires going into my inverter had melted from loose contacts. My dealer reinstalled the wires into the inverter for better contact and we haven’t experienced the issue anymore.
Galuff is offline   Reply With Quote