Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-19-2018, 06:52 AM   #1

Electrical problem - Eagle TT

Good morning, All,

My retired father lives out of state and recently purchased a used Jayco Eagle travel trailer, I believe around a 1999 or 2000 model, on a seasonal site about 45 min from my home. I'm getting his TT ready for his arrival around Labor Day. I have owned two TT's, different make, over the past ten years and do quite a bit of moderate DIY stuff for myself.

His trailer has been in this campground, on seasonal sites for its entire life. He is the 3rd owner. Everything is in pretty decent shape. It is plugged into 30 amp service all season. It has two original equipment batteries, but they've been disconnected for nearly the entire life of the trailer. I questioned this with the previous owner, but it was reinforced to me that they've never had batteries connected, have never had a problem and its "OK to do that with a Jayco."

Yesterday, while I was there delivering some things I picked up for him and installing a new shower head, the air conditioner (with wall mounted thermostat) and all the interior lights suddenly turned off. My son went to check the breakers at the 30 amp campground connection. The 30 amp breaker was NOT tripped, but he turned it off and back on anyway. No change, lights and air conditioning still off. I then noticed the microwave display was still on. Power to the microwave made me look around some more and I realized everything 110v was working (except the air conditioner), but everything 12 volt was not. I checked fuses, all good. Checked converter (45 amp), it wasn't hot to touch, but the fan was not running. I plugged a lamp into the 110 outlet where the converter is plugged in and the outlet was working.

I backed the truck up to the tongue of the TT, plugged in the 7 way RV connector and all interior lights and the air conditioner resumed normal operation while plugged into my truck (with the engine running so I didn't invite another problem into my day). I unplugged the truck, triple checked fuses, connections, etc. in the camper, still no lights or air conditioning with only shore power attached. I'm guessing the air conditioner wall thermostat needs 12 volt to operate, hence when my truck was plugged into the camper and the shore power was still connected, the air conditioner worked. Without my truck plugged in, neither it nor the lights work.

So, I'm thinking the converter is done? I removed it to bring it along home to aid in my search for a replacement. 12 volt electrical is probably the thing I know the least about, so I haven't done anything else to evaluate it. I have a test light and a multimeter if anyone can offer guidance on how that may help me to determine for sure that the converter is shot.

I'll also gladly accept other advice and recommendations on a converter replacement if that's the issue.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Jake8147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Take the opportunity to upgrade the converter. Call Progressive Dynamics inc and splain what you have. They have new and rebuilt units that will do a much better job of providing 12vdc to your dad's unit. Also it will maintain the batteries better when you get new ones. The old ones are likely shot after years of sitting dead.
https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/

Your refrigerator if original, needs 12v to work also.
The converter should be a easy change out.

Another option would be to contact the mfg of the OE converter and maybe get a re-built one from them.

Look inside the old converter for a blown fuse on a board inside before going to much further.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 08:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Take the opportunity to upgrade the converter. Call Progressive Dynamics inc and splain what you have. They have new and rebuilt units that will do a much better job of providing 12vdc to your dad's unit. Also it will maintain the batteries better when you get new ones. The old ones are likely shot after years of sitting dead.

Another option would be to contact the mfg of the OE converter and maybe get a re-built one from them.

Look inside the old converter for a blown fuse on a board inside before going to much further.
Thanks! Would you concur that it is most likely a bad converter?
Old 08-19-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

Update - removed the converter cover & found a glass fuse, intact. Visualized with my old eyes the thread of wire running thru it and confirmed the continuity of the fuse with ohm meter. 110v power cord to converter checks out fine with volt meter as does the connection immediately inside on the 110v IN side, but according to the volt meter, there is no 12v coming OUT the other side.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:52 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
If all fuses on the converter check OK and no 12 volt power out it is toast.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #6

Converter & make sure you connect a new battery ! You should not use these rv's without a battery that is what ruins the converter. Make sure you replace it every 4 or 5 years to prevent another failure.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #7

Agreed. I'll argue that point with him again. Thanks