Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-29-2017, 02:19 PM   #1

Electrical protection

My wife and I have done some camping in the past but we are getting our first tat on Friday. I have been reading a lot on this forum and have learned a lot. However, I'm trying to understand what I need / how to protect my new tat from low/high voltage. I have read about surge protectors and progressive industries products. What do I need?

Our new tat is an SLX 29 QBSW. I am electrically challenged so any advice is appreciated.
98volfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:03 PM   #2

The small price you'd pay for piece of mind, I highly recommend the Progressive EMS units. If you don't feel up to hard wiring, the portable units are just as good functionally. I have the Progressive unit myself, great product and good company to deal with. The feature rich performance of these units are something I'm sure you'll be happy with in the time of need... and Made In USA!
WhiteHawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:28 PM   #3

You want an EMS Electrical Management System rather than just a surge protector... it will protect you against over and under voltage, surges and wrongly wired pedestals.

Happy Camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

Another vote for Progressive Ind. EMS.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's. There is a lot to choose from with Progressive Ind., does anyone have specific recommendations? This is going to be a hefty invest so I want to make sure to get what will work best. My TT is a 30 amp service. Is it better to hard wire or get a "dog bone". I hope I used that term correctly.
98volfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Both units work equally well.
The EMS units are so expensive, they are at risk for being stolen.
Personally, I would choose to hard wire an EMS device.
Here's what you need.
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...ive+ems+30+amp

Here is the portable option
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...sive+20amp+EMS

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #7
Site Team

We bought the portable 30 amp "dog bone" style. If (and when) we trade up, we can take it with us, without unwiring and rewiring. On the other hand, the hard wired units are completely out of sight, and out of the weather. It looks like the newer units are redesigned for better weather protection. Ours is an older version and works just fine. If you're keeping your TT forever, and follow the directions for installation, and aren't afraid to tackle a little bit of wiring, the hard wired one is good. Otherwise, the portable units provide the same protection. Happy shopping!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:06 AM   #8

I just installed a Progressive Industries 30 Amp EMS with remote monitor this weekend.

I don't mind doing electrical work but that isn't for everyone.

There are three options with them when looking at the 30A capacity and each has a pro and con.

EMS-PT30X
Pros - It is external so there isn't really an install to be done. You plug it into the outlet at the pedestal and your camper plugs into it. You are done.
If something goes wrong with it, you can send it in for service pretty easily.

Cons - It is exposed to the elements.
It can be stolen but risk it pretty low. I would mainly be concerned at a seasonal site where you might have it sitting out there for long periods when you are not there.
While they have a great warranty, if the pedestal has a crappy outlet which damages the unit it isn't covered under their warranty. Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea
If it gets hit by a surge, you will have to send it in for repair.

Then there is the internal units.

I went with the EMS-HW30C but there is also the EMS-LCHW30 which is a few bucks cheaper. The difference is the HW30C has a remote display with bypass switch. Because of my mounting location it is hard to access if I need to bypass the unit and the built in display isn't visible. While a remote bypass switch (no display) can be added to LCHW30, by the time I bought that it was about $15 more to get the one that came with it and the display. Pros and cons are about the same so I will put them in one.

Pros - Inside the camper and protected from elements.
Is field serviceable so if you take a surge, they can send out a new board which is plug and play replaceable. It isn't really clear if this is covered under warranty or if they charge for the board.
Can't be stolen unless they take the entire camper or rip it apart looking for one so better for seasonal sites.

Cons More of a headache to install it. Though it didn't take that long this weekend. I also replaced my mouse hole stored power cord and converted it to a twist lock so it took a few hours.
Not easy to move from one camper to another if you replace the camper.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:10 AM   #9

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #10

There is also another one called Surge Guard. They too have 30 & 50 hard wired EMS and portable unit also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote