Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #1

Emptying a sewage tote.

When using the sewage tote out camping I am guessing that you keep this tote in the back of your truck. Once you fill it how do you get it back in your truck or remove the tote from your truck to empty? It has to weigh well over 200 lbs. Too heavy for lifting. Once on the ground no problem but getting it to the ground or into the truck is another matter.
mnsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #2

After it is full. you hook it to the back of your truck and travelling slowly you take it to the dump site empty it then pick it up and put it in the back of your pickup. And now it's ready to be filled again..
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #3

Most totes have a bracket that goes over the hitch ball so you can tow it to the dump station, no lifting required
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsiu View Post
When using the sewage tote out camping I am guessing that you keep this tote in the back of your truck. Once you fill it how do you get it back in your truck or remove the tote from your truck to empty? It has to weigh well over 200 lbs. Too heavy for lifting. Once on the ground no problem but getting it to the ground or into the truck is another matter.
If you're going to do this often I'd suggest purchasing a FloJet macerator ($213 on Amazon) or purchasing a macerator like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAFLO-12V-...ZYk4dn&vxp=mtr) on eBay ($100) and hook it up DIY. This way you can leave the sewage tote in the bed of your truck for the entire dumping process. Hopefully your sewage tote has a side valve that allows a gravity dump from your truck; otherwise, you'll need to use the macerator pump to upload the trailer's black tank to the sewage tote, then use the macerator again to download the contents of the sewage tote back down to the sani-dump.

If you don't want to use a macerator, then unfortunately, you're going to have to tow it behind your truck. If the campgrounds you visit are close to the nearest sani-dump, and have smooth roads, then maybe not such a hassle. If not, be prepared for a significant hassle on every trip. Been there, done that.

Your choice.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #5

Just don't forget its back there and go to fast. It makes a big mess. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
If you're going to do this often I'd suggest purchasing a FloJet macerator ($213 on Amazon) or purchasing a macerator like this (https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAFLO-12V-...ZYk4dn&vxp=mtr) on eBay ($100) and hook it up DIY. This way you can leave the sewage tote in the bed of your truck for the entire dumping process. Hopefully your sewage tote has a side valve that allows a gravity dump from your truck; otherwise, you'll need to use the macerator pump to upload the trailer's black tank to the sewage tote, then use the macerator again to download the contents of the sewage tote back down to the sani-dump.

If you don't want to use a macerator, then unfortunately, you're going to have to tow it behind your truck. If the campgrounds you visit are close to the nearest sani-dump, and have smooth roads, then maybe not such a hassle. If not, be prepared for a significant hassle on every trip. Been there, done that.

Your choice.
I have never felt I needed a pump for this operation. I drag it to my hitch hook the loop and drive slowly to the dump station, unhook it, get it in place, hook up the hose to the tote and dump opening, then pivot holding the handle to the upright position and its empty in a few minutes. Very simple no need to hassle with a pump.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
I have never felt I needed a pump for this operation. I drag it to my hitch hook the loop and drive slowly to the dump station, unhook it, get it in place, hook up the hose to the tote and dump opening, then pivot holding the handle to the upright position and its empty in a few minutes. Very simple no need to hassle with a pump.
I agree. Unless you are full timing in a spot without sewage and you are dumping often, then I could see where the pump would make life easier.

But for most of us who maybe use the tote once an outing, no reason to worry about a pump.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:44 PM   #8

The issue is if the campground doesn’t have a dump and you have to take it in town or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:45 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
The issue is if the campground doesn’t have a dump and you have to take it in town or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then absolutely. The pump makes sense in that case.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Just made a small low platform for the hitch. Easy to lever it up to the platform, then drive to the dump and reverse the unloading. Empty the contends in the sewer dump.
Had many positive comments. Simple and effective.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #11

X2 with CampNow. We have a macerator for just these issues. Camped in South Dakota, the dump station was a mile away. Two years ago the dump station was 500 yards away over 3/4" gravel. With the macerator you pump it up and into the tote that's in the truck on the tailgate. Only caution is the macerator moves everything slowly and will leave residue in the line, so I use a 5gal bucket of clean water down the toilet to clean the lines.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALJO View Post
Just made a small low platform for the hitch. Easy to lever it up to the platform, then drive to the dump and reverse the unloading. Empty the contends in the sewer dump.
Had many positive comments. Simple and effective.
Need picture. Can't understand what a small low platform for the hitch means.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:31 AM   #13

Trucks have the ball hitch for towing smaller trailers. The tote has a hole in the handle to fit on the ball of that hitch. Smaller trucks have a ball for towing in the bumper but can be used the same way. If your handle is to small you can just tie it off to the hitch hole or the hitch safety chain hole to tow it to the dump station.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

Some state parks in NY have the dump stations very far (more than a mile) from the campgrounds. That's why I opted for the macerator. I have only used it for gray so far in my tote that I leave in the bed of the truck.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #15

found this pic on the web.
Attached Thumbnails
bluetote2.jpg  
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
X2 with CampNow. We have a macerator for just these issues. Camped in South Dakota, the dump station was a mile away. Two years ago the dump station was 500 yards away over 3/4" gravel. With the macerator you pump it up and into the tote that's in the truck on the tailgate. Only caution is the macerator moves everything slowly and will leave residue in the line, so I use a 5gal bucket of clean water down the toilet to clean the lines.
When we have this problem it's typically a sign that we don't have enough water in our black tank to suspend or dissolve solids in the black tank. We found using more water during flushes takes care of it. We're able to pump/empty our 32 gallon black tank (to our 42 gal. sewage tote in our truck) in only 3-4 minutes with our macerator with no residue issues.

On those rare occasions when we may suspect some residue, pumping 2-3 gallons of grey water from our grey tank through the macerator and hose (to the sewage tote) quickly flushes everything out.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:58 PM   #17

In more visited boon docking areas you may fine a honey wagon is available for a pump out. That may be easier than hauling into town finding a dump station etc.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
I'd suggest purchasing a FloJet macerator
That's what I use with my 42 gal Barker and it works great. I also fashioned a 30' clear 5/8" tube/hose and also added shutoff valves on each end of the hose to help facilitate clean and dry connects/disconnects.

We camp on relatives property quite often in the summer and since there is no way to dump on their property, I simply attach the macerator to the RV, pump/empty my black tank into the barker and transport it to a nearby campground to dump where I just use my standard sewer hose and let gravity do it's thing. Or if we don't stay that long, I just haul it back home and use the macerator and hose to pump it from the barker and into the toilet in the garage.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:01 PM   #19

Thanks Sundancer, I learn something new every day. I had no idea of this product. Looks like something else to purchase, but worth it!
mnsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
That's what I use with my 42 gal Barker and it works great. I also fashioned a 30' clear 5/8" tube/hose and also added shutoff valves on each end of the hose to help facilitate clean and dry connects/disconnects . . . .
We also use a 42 gal. Barker--their largest. Although this discussion focuses on the black tank, if you're dry camping you also need to dump your grey water at some point, too. Capacity is key to reducing the number of trips you make.

Good idea about using a clear hose with valves. We may try that, thanks.

If anyone decides on a 32 or 42 gal. Barker, make sure you get the latest model with four (4) pneumatic tires (not the older version with hard-rubber tires). We prefer it to other brands because it's simple (less parts to break), tough as heck, plus it has gravity dump capability.