Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #1

EMS-hw30 Installation

I'm looking at the Progressive Industries EMS-hw30 for my new 22FB. I would like to have the remote on the wall close to the controls for the appliances and the tank monitors. If I have to, I guess I coulf put the remote onthe panel next to the power distribution, but I would rather have it at eye level if possible. Has anyone ever installed anything on that wall? Is there an access where the existing wiring was snaked up the wall or does it look like the trailer was built around it?
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #2

I know I am coming in very late - but did you ever get it run?

On my unit, I pulled the control panel off the wall then cut a small hole under the cabinets directly below. I was then able to easily fish the phone cord up and install it directly above the panel. Very clean install and no exposed wiring.

As a secondary mod, I had some old sunglasses made from a plastic sheet that I got last time I was at the eye doctor. I cut out a square and put it over the display and it is not nearly as bright and annoying.

Let me know if you want me to send you some pics.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #3

I thought about fishing it up the wall like you did but I ended up putting the display on the plywood panel under the sink. It's out of the way and I can look at it when I want to by opening the cabinet door. I like it there because when I upgrade to another trailer, the EMS goes with me and I don't have a hole to try to figure out how to cover up. I just take the unit out, reconnect the shore power cords together and I'm done.
I really like the unit and I'm not going to give it away when I sell the trailer.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

Oh - the EMS is coming with me!! lol I just got it for Christmas so I have not tried it on the road, but so far it is working perfectly in the drive. I had two fairly major power incidents that were the result of bad pedestals last year. Luckily I didnt suffer any damage other than my plug, but this is good insurance for sure!

I think I will be able to remove mine without leaving much evidence. The phone cord actually comes out the top of the control panel - I just removed a bit of wood hidden behind the control panel right up to the very top edge. When I remove it, it should only leave two very small screw holes that are easily filled with putty.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Found a couple of pics to my install tonight --

Old 02-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

This is a good post for me because I'm putting that system in our unit when it arrives and plan to take it with me if we ever change trailers.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Bob,
Where did you mount the computer and did you have any problems with the 220 wire?
Joe
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam
Prodigy P2
Tanker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #8

The EMS-hw30 is for 30 amp systems. There are no 220V wires.
I mounted the box on the wall under the galley sink. I had alread replaced the "retractible" power cord with a Marinco 30A inlet and detachable shore power cord. I simply cut the power cord going from the inlet to the converter and put the unit inline.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 02-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #9

I mounted the main box under the fridge just behind the power panel - accessible by removing the drawer under the fridge.

For the install, you simply cut the power cord and insert the EMS in between. Just make sure you pull enough slack so that you can hook up the box outside of the drawer space and then "stuff" it in. Make sure you attach a strain relief to the cable so you cant pull the cable out of the EMS when you pull the cord from the outside.

One other suggestion is to do it when it is a little warmer outside. I did mine when it was cold outside and the cord was stiff and a little hard to work with.

As far as the reference to 220 - the HW30 is a 120 volt system. They have a HW50 that has two 120 volt legs. While it is a pretty simple system to install, I would recommend you have a good understanding of your power system before you start. You dont want to blow yourself up putting a blow up protection system in! :lightning:

I would also recommend that you bench test your system before you install it. I simply cut the end of a computer power cable for the supply and a short wire hooked to an outlet on the other. That way you get a better understanding of the install before working in the tight space. In addition, you can make sure it is working properly. In my case, the unit was reading about 5 volts off. I talked with Progressive and they were happy to recalibrate the unit. I shipped it to them on Monday and had it back by Friday - from all accounts they have great service.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:49 PM   #10

tafische said:
Quote:
I would also recommend that you bench test your system before you install it. I simply cut the end of a computer power cable for the supply and a short wire hooked to an outlet on the other. That way you get a better understanding of the install before working in the tight space. In addition, you can make sure it is working properly. In my case, the unit was reading about 5 volts off.
I have an HW30 on order. It disturbs me that their quality control let an error of as much as 5 volts slip by. Did they explain at all how that happened? Thanks for posting this - I'd hate to get it installed, and then find out I had to take it out again for repair.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #11

They didnt explain how it happened and I would not have expected they would. My concern was that it was showing 5 volts too low, which would have it cut off way too soon. Maybe I am just a little too picky - I measured mine with a calibrated Fluke true RMS meter.

In Progressives defense, I have heard nothing but glowing reviews from everyone that has had one and that they are very good at fixing and replacing anything that goes wrong. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt on this one and hope this was just an anomaly.

I always bench test things like this before I install them if I can. Again, I am super picky and want my stuff 100% so maybe it is a little overboard - but also goes with the tinkering gene I have.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 AM   #12

Is the hard wired system any better than just using the TRC surge protection power cord that you just plug in? That sure is a lot simpler and is supposed to do the same thing at about 1/3 the cost.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #13

The Progressive EMS does a lot more than surge protection -- it shuts down in the event of under or over voltage, reverse polarity, or bad neutral. It also comes with an optional display that shows voltage, amps, frequency, and error codes.

Basically you just plug the camper in and it will analyze the power and then turn on if OK. You no longer have to get out your meter and line checker to verify the pedestal before you plug in.

Old 02-09-2011, 07:53 AM   #14

You'll need to do some research. The Progressive Industries version protects against low voltage, surges, reverse polarity, accidental 220V plug in and about everything that can go wrong with shore power. I think the ones that plug into the pedestals are only surge protectors. It's also easier for the plug-ins to grow feet and walk off. I can guarrantee that when I sell my trailer, my EMS unit goes with me.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel