Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2021, 06:33 PM   #1

EMS/Surge Protector

I am buying a new camper Thursday and 2021 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE, I have been looking at EMS hard wired, portable and portable surge protectors, I have no idea which to buy, please can yall help with what yall think or know is a good one and why you choose that one? I can hard wire it if the wires are easy to get to and I know a lot less likely to get stolen
firemanst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

First off I have never heard of anyone having one stolen. Not saying it couldn't just never heard if it happening. I have the portable 50 amp Hughes Watchdog. I really the the BT feature. Can see on my phone the voltage and amp draw on each line.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:06 PM   #3

Thanks

Thank you JaycoMLOC, I have been reading everything I can find on EMS and that was one of the bad things about the portable ones they was easier to steal
firemanst13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:52 PM   #4
Site Team

We have a portable EMS, and carry a heavy duty cable lock to secure it to the pedestal. We used the cable lock once. Both types have their advantages, and it's mostly a personal preference.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:08 PM   #5

I, too, have a substantial chain and padlock to secure it to the pedestal. We went with the Progressive Industries 30 amp portable and it has a heavy metal bracket attached to it. Just run the chain through it. We started out with a simple Progressive surge protector, but wanted the extra protection of the EMS. The surge protector is my backup if the EMS gets blown. With the portable, it would be an easy swap not having it hardwired inside someplace. Love the PI model. I can see the red LEDs from the trailer window and it seems well made.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:35 AM   #6

I have had the PI PT50 series starting with the PT50C ten years ago and now the PT50X. When my original PT50C took a hit a few years back PI replaced it with the PT50X. I now have two of them. One for every day use and one as a spare. I will never ever plug in anywhere without one of them inline.

Concerning theft of the portable units, I have been full timing for just shy of 11 years now and I have never heard of one being stolen. I too have a chain and a lock on mine, but I'm not too concerned about theft.

Challenge: Does anyone know of a theft of any brand or know someone who knows someone that heard of a theft? I'm not holding my breath for an answer here. I think the theft issue is non existent. Now forgetting your unit when you break camp is another issue. The only time I forgot mine was when I left my home base site and had to go back and get it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:55 AM   #7

I, too, have the Progressive Industries portable 30 amp unit. Bought it before my 1st outing in my Eagle. As everyone else has said, I've never heard of one being stolen, but (to be on the safe side) I keep a padlock on it while in storage. Almost every campground pedestal I've ever seen has a tab with a hole in it, that slips through a slot in the pedestal door. Once mine is hooked up and the pedestal door closed, I just slip the padlock through the hole in that tab.

One thing I might mention is make sure you shut off the breaker on the 30A or 50A outlet BEFORE you plug in the EMS and your trailer's power cord. Then flip the breaker ON and let your EMS do its count-down thing. That way, if there's a load inside the trailer (like your refrigerator), you won't get a spark when you plug in.

Congratulations on your new rig, and HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 03-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #8

Don’t leave home without one. Lots of choices anyone is better than none. Safe travels

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #9

Lots of good advise here so far, I agree with all of it.
The theft thing, yes, I've never heard of one being stolen either. But with all the "new" people getting into RV'ing, you just never know. Had I went with a plug in, I'd be locking it down, but sometimes we all have a bonehead moment and I'd prolly forget the thing at some point too. My Progressive Industries hardwired unit has a bypass button in case it does its job and blows something inside. I also have it set up for easy replacement with 50A plug ends installed. Nice thing with this unit I have is when it blows the parts are easily replaceable and PI is quick to get you the part(s) needed too. People I've spoke with that have dealt with their customer service say they are top shelf A+.

Again, only way you can go wrong is by NOT having something. Hardwired or post plugin is personal preference.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:59 AM   #10

We have the Progressive Industries 30 amp unit. First one died but they replaced it quickly and without question under their lifetime warranty.

I have known of one stolen. A Canadian couple and their class B were on the adjacent site at Myrtle Beach State Park in October 2019. They unhooked and drove off for the day. When they returned, it was gone.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:31 PM   #11

We have the portable "Surge Guard" 30 amp surge protector. It's simple, works great, tells me what I need to know before I attach power to my trailer and is relatively inexpensive.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 PM   #12

Theft of a portable unit is always a concern. I have a portable PI 30 amp EMS that gets locked to the pedestal but if they want it, they're probably gonna get it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #13

I use the Hughes Watchdog. In fact, it protected me just this past weekend from throwing breakers. Had the perfect storm of both AC units trying to start while the water heater was trying to heat, and the ice maker was going. I was cooking dinner when DW says "the power just went out". I pulled out my phone, saw what the error was, and hit "restart". It cut back out almost immediately; same error. I went inside, told DW to turn off one of the AC units and turn the water heater off (we were running low on propane, normally I keep that power hog on gas to prevent this very thing). Hit restart on the phone, and voila, back in business!

Mine came with an anti-theft "ring" on the wire, but I don't use it because I have it inside a locked compartment. If I were hanging it on the post, I would have it locked to the post using the locking ring and a piece of cable or chain. We've never had anything stolen from our site (knocking on wood), but I would imagine it's at least partly because we keep things stored away when we're not using them... Don't want to give an "honest" person an opportunity to become a thief...

I like the idea of it being portable so that I can easily take it with me to my next rig. But that one will likely be 50A, so I may not need it...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 08:01 AM   #14

Portable Hughes Watchdog 30amp. Bluetooth feature is really nice.
If someone wants to steal it, they will. Probably take the same amount of time to cut through the wires as it would a chain. I don't lock mine. I thought about it as its a decent investment, but decided against it.

As far as perm or portable, I went with portable so if something ever did go wrong I could just plug straight in.
Old 03-29-2021, 08:39 AM   #15

Another vote for Progressive Industries. I’ve owned 2 of their EMS units, a portable 30A and a hard-wired 50A. I had a lock for the portable but don’t recall having ever used it.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini4mw View Post
Portable Hughes Watchdog 30amp. Bluetooth feature is really nice.
If someone wants to steal it, they will. Probably take the same amount of time to cut through the wires as it would a chain. I don't lock mine. I thought about it as its a decent investment, but decided against it.

As far as perm or portable, I went with portable so if something ever did go wrong I could just plug straight in.
I won't plug straight in EVER. That is why I have a spare PT50X. I do full time so my exposure is greater than those who part time. I think the risk of not having the unit inline is more than the cost of the spare. I have been saved several times at my home base. Once due to a failing power company transformer that killed many light bulbs at my neighbor's homes while nothing damaged at my rig.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:09 AM   #17

Another vote for Prog. Industries. I have the 50 amp portable version, had it for a few months before using the first time, plugged it in at home and it had a issue, I contacted them, sent a copy of receipt and pic of plugs on unit and they sent me a new one out, no questions asked, great customer service!
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:55 AM   #18

I have a 30amp Portable PI EMS. Works awesome. Just lock it up and don't take anything for granted. My new 50amp EMS is huge. It's like hanging a washing machine on the post but so worth the piece of mind.

I'm probably gonna list the 30amp in the classified section if you're interested.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:25 PM   #19

I use a 34950 Southwire EMS. I don't know which one is better but Southwire is a trusted brand and has served me well. It will cut you off if there is any problem. I also use a good size chain which is padlocked around the plug on the unit and another padlock around the post at campgrounds
mikehoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #20

We have hardwired

Hello. I installed a EMS hardwired surge protector on our 2019 Jayco. My thought was it’s one less thing to remember to bring and find and also theft. I recently took our camper on for some warranty issues and was told that installing this protector voided the warranty on my electrical system and appliances. I’m not too worried as our warranty is almost expired anyways but thought I’d mention it.
Amocoharley is offline   Reply With Quote