Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2020, 01:47 PM   #21

Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #22

Hi everyone, thanks again for all your feedback.

I have tied up all the loose wires and covered them in wire loom covers. I also tied up the loose water line hose that hung a couple inches below the frame.

I just picked up a couple of sheets of coroplast (corrugated plastic) from Home Depot and plan to just cover the underbelly where the slide motor is. I plan to use stainless steel self tapping screws. My hope is to just protect that area from rain and road grime. And it will be easy to access that area if needed by removing the coroplast.

I was just rereading everyone's replies, and Adios Pantelones mentioned if I do install something like Coroplast, I should make sure the propane lines stay exposed. Why is that?

Thanks...Jim
jmkdopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #23

I watched the videos posted by Wireman, and it looks as though his methods far surpassed the factory work done on my Jayco 145RB Baja Edition with the plasticore/coroplast underbelly. One thing not mentioned is the persistent rodents of all types; packrats, mice, chipmunks, and squirrels. My TT is stored here at home in the high desert where such rodents are resourceful and can enter any tiny opening on the underside and can get into the cabinets by way of the floorboard holes left by the builders. I understand the all reasons for the using materials to cover the underside, but I removed the coroplast in order to solve all the rodent problems
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkdopkins View Post

I have tied up all the loose wires and covered them in wire loom covers. I also tied up the loose water line hose that hung a couple inches below the frame.

I just picked up a couple of sheets of coroplast (corrugated plastic) from Home Depot and plan to just cover the underbelly where the slide motor is. I plan to use stainless steel self tapping screws. My hope is to just protect that area from rain and road grime. And it will be easy to access that area if needed by removing the coroplast.

I was just rereading everyone's replies, and Adios Pantelones mentioned if I do install something like Coroplast, I should make sure the propane lines stay exposed. Why is that?

Thanks...Jim
As mjc29 mentioned, make sure to use the large fender washers also.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:04 AM   #25

Yup. Got the fender washers. Thanks!
Old 07-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #26

I just finished installing the coroplast to cover my slide motor. It was pretty easy. I used the existing fresh water tank bolts to secure one edge, and used stainless steel self tapping screws and washers on the other edge. I ran a piece of black duct tape on the leading edge to better secure it. I also used a piece of black duct tape to mark where the slide motor was in case I needed to access it. I have attached before and after pictures.

Thanks everyone for all the help!
Attached Thumbnails
Underbelly1.jpg   IMG_4995.jpg   IMG_4998.jpg   Underbelly2.jpg  
Old 08-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Coroplast would be easy to install and yes you could and use self tapping screws. If you still choose to have access a very inexpensive way to protect the wires, etc. is to use the foam insulation tubing for plumbing lines. It comes in various lengths, can be cut with scissors and you could use tie raps to secure it. If I was going to use this method I would purchase 2 sizes so you could double the layers. Based on your photos I would be amazed if you spent more than $50.00 using this method.
Plumber insulation only works to keep the pipes from condensing, If the water is flowing the insulation won't do much.
The under belly also helps prevent mice from getting inside
Zenar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #28
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have never had an enclosed underbelly, and it has never been an issue. We frequently camp in cold weather, never has been an issue.

There really is no wires under the rig, except for the tank sensors. For them I bought a bottle of liquid electrical tape, and dabbed some on to each sensor to seal them. I did grab a few zip ties and secured the electric brake wires better to axles, and secured the propane lines a bit better too.

It is nice being able to crawl under the rig and see anything, or to fix a bad tank valve.

It is called "Coroplast" Do a google search. I saw Home Depot carries some. Sure there is lots of places were you can get it. Commonly used for signs.
And you don’t need it unless you dry camp in temps down to or below 10F. I elk hunted for years at altitudes of 8K during December. Without an enclosed and heated underbelly we would have froze up in the first few days. There are times and places where it is absolutely necessary. If you are in a campground and the temps get to 25 your are probably fine but in real life back country camping you will be without water the first night without it.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:49 PM   #29

Quote:

Thanks...Jim
I think you done quite well! I like the protection under my Jayfeather, not only for those nights when the temps dip a few degrees below freezing (keeping me from laying awake worrying), but also the protection of grime, or in my northern area, gravel and mud. But one additional thing, if you are ever caught pulling your trailer in wet snow, that stuff can really accumulate around the wiring in particular which can pull on it with increasing weight and cause harm. With the belly pan that shouldn't ever happen.

As for why keep the propane lines on the outside of the belly pan, it is arguably a good idea in that if there is a leak in one of the fittings, since propane is heavier than air could settle and accumulate in the belly which wouldn't be a good thing for obvious reasons. You could possibly put in a few vents in the pan that would keep that from happening.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 AM   #30

Quote:

Thanks...Jim
I did mention keeping the propane line exposed. You want to make sure if there's ever a leak that the propane has a place to go. Propane can easily accumulate in the underbelly and you may not be able to readily smell it. One loose wire sparks or your water heater or fridge lights off it could be disastrous.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:02 PM   #31

This is great information. Thanks!