Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #1

Enclosing the underbelly

Hi everyone,

We just took delivery of a new Jayco Jay Flight SLX 245rls. We traded in our trusty 2017 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264bhw.

We just finished camping in the 245rls for 3 days and really enjoyed the large rear living area with the slide. My wife really likes the lighter interior colors.

The one option this new camper didn't have was the underbelly protection. My concern is not having this layer of protection for the wiring and plumbing against road grime and water.

The dealer said they could install it, but its about $1000.

Has anyone ever installed this underbelly protection themselves? Is it worth the effort? Where did you get the materials? I believe you use self tapping screws into the frame to hang it.

Thanks!
jmkdopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:08 PM   #2

I have never had an enclosed underbelly, and it has never been an issue. We frequently camp in cold weather, never has been an issue.

There really is no wires under the rig, except for the tank sensors. For them I bought a bottle of liquid electrical tape, and dabbed some on to each sensor to seal them. I did grab a few zip ties and secured the electric brake wires better to axles, and secured the propane lines a bit better too.

It is nice being able to crawl under the rig and see anything, or to fix a bad tank valve.

It is called "Coroplast" Do a google search. I saw Home Depot carries some. Sure there is lots of places were you can get it. Commonly used for signs.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #3

Thanks Jagiven. I am glad you haven't had any issues with the open underbelly.

You are right about being able to get to things if its open. Tying things up is a great idea.

Another thing I thought of for the wiring and water lines is to cover them in that plastic wire loom. See the below link.

https://www.cabletiesandmore.com/black-wire-loom-tubing
Old 06-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
CAG

It really depends upon how cold the weather gets or how cold you want to camp. The Cyclone with the enclosed underbelly and heat blown it was "rated" to 0F. We generally had no problems down to 10F but even with heat pumped in from the furnace there were some items that had to be insulated or water lines would freeze up. The duct work was in the floor so the area below in the underbelly had that heat advantage. Also there was a layer of pink insulation above the coroplast.

The Greyhawk in not an enclosed underbelly and to be honest I don't trust it not to freeze lines if it gets into the low 20s. We have been mid 20's and it is ok but the floor is cold to walk on so there is no heat protecting the water lines etc.

So, again, it depends on what temps you are expecting to camp in. Low 20's and down you are going to want the enclosed underbelly. At some point I plan to look at that option also. Coroplast is pretty cheap and it is not a big job just lots of work on your back.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I have never had an enclosed underbelly, and it has never been an issue. We frequently camp in cold weather, never has been an issue.

There really is no wires under the rig, except for the tank sensors. For them I bought a bottle of liquid electrical tape, and dabbed some on to each sensor to seal them. I did grab a few zip ties and secured the electric brake wires better to axles, and secured the propane lines a bit better too.

It is nice being able to crawl under the rig and see anything, or to fix a bad tank valve.
X2
Old 06-15-2020, 05:33 PM   #6

Underbelly

Here are some pictures of my underbelly. I do have wires and water lines exposed under the camper. The motor to the slide is also exposed.

Again, my concern is protecting these components. Keeping out the cold isn't a concern.

Thanks again everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4262.jpg   IMG_4265.jpg   IMG_4263.jpg  
Old 06-15-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
CAG

Pretty much the same situation. You can add the coroplast to the bottom to keep water and road dirt out but if you are not looking for insulation from the cold I am not sure what you gain. All of the others of your model have the same situation and probably have no issues with water and road dirt or Jayco would have modified it earlier.

Generally the enclosed underbelly is for low temp camping.

I would just be sure any long hanging wires and/or lines were tied up and out of the way.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Underbelly

Ok. If what you see in the pictures is typical, then maybe I will just secure things and leave it exposed. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #9

Coroplast would be easy to install and yes you could and use self tapping screws. If you still choose to have access a very inexpensive way to protect the wires, etc. is to use the foam insulation tubing for plumbing lines. It comes in various lengths, can be cut with scissors and you could use tie raps to secure it. If I was going to use this method I would purchase 2 sizes so you could double the layers. Based on your photos I would be amazed if you spent more than $50.00 using this method.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #10

I've never installed it but I have removed it to work on my jacks. Looks Pretty simple. Self tapping screws went into frame easily.
Adios Pantelones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #11

Thanks again everyone. I do appreciate all the feedback.

I will post again with what I end up doing.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #12

Looks like HD sells 4x8 sheets for $22. They make joiners for them as well so I think it would be pretty easy to do. Make sure the propane lines stay exposed.
Old 06-16-2020, 07:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Pretty much the same situation. You can add the coroplast to the bottom to keep water and road dirt out but if you are not looking for insulation from the cold I am not sure what you gain. All of the others of your model have the same situation and probably have no issues with water and road dirt or Jayco would have modified it earlier.

Generally the enclosed underbelly is for low temp camping.

I would just be sure any long hanging wires and/or lines were tied up and out of the way.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkdopkins View Post
Here are some pictures of my underbelly. I do have wires and water lines exposed under the camper. The motor to the slide is also exposed.

Again, my concern is protecting these components. Keeping out the cold isn't a concern.

Thanks again everyone.
You have more wires on the underside than what I have seen in a looong time. For most part they are pulled up nicely. On your wire connection for your slide out, I would use liquid electrical tape on those crimp connections, and I would look at a way to take some strain off the crimp connections. The components are designed to get wet.

What makes me most concerned is that white hose? What is it for? Black tank flush??? The droop in it will collect water and will freeze and will be hard to winterize if you are somewhere with cold winters. Nice part it is a flexible hose so it can take freezing better than a ridge pipe.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 10:48 AM   #14

When we bought our 24RBS, I was very glad it wasn’t covered! Makes working under the camper much easer. Good thing too, because the water line from the fresh water tank to the water pump was kinked. After I get done with the underneath I am thinking about covering it up. I am hoping to try and improve gas mileage and pull a little bit easier. I don’t know if it would help or not. Does anyone here know what the difference between covered and uncovered would be? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #15

I was considering doing the same to my 2019 jayco alante 31v. Seems like a good move to me just get some high quality self tapping screws.
Choppered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppered View Post
I was considering doing the same to my 2019 jayco alante 31v. Seems like a good move to me just get some high quality self tapping screws.

I replaced mine on my 29n. One of my local rv dealers had the stuff in rolls that were 8 feet wide just got a little extra and had to cut out for tires. yes you need good self tapping screws and big fender washers to keep it in place.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #17

I think underbelly protection could be of value in certain situations. For one, it buys you a little extra time at night when the temps fall a few degrees below freezing, with frost on the ground. Another reason, one that is most important for me is the type of roads you drive on. I live in Alaska and camp in the Yukon Canada for several weeks in the summer each year. Lots of times, the roads are torn up, with gravel then being the norm. Having rainstorms in these areas can produce a lot of muck that will stick to all those cross members of the frame, adding considerable weight. Gravel can also damage exposed plumbing, particularly soft drawn copper propane lines. I had a older travel trailer with copper propane lines and they were almost flat from rocks pelting them!

Also there are times when going over the pass that there could be several inches of wet sticky snow which also packs into the frame, as well as pulling on any wires.

If you anticipate any of these conditions, I think it would be well worth it. If you do the work yourself you could make better accommodations for removing sections for inspection of the tanks etc.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle55 View Post
If you do the work yourself you could make better accommodations for removing sections for inspection of the tanks etc.
This is a great comment. My new to me 2015 23MBH has an enclosed underbelly - what I wanted for my old 174BH - but after a while I really appreciated having access to all the bad wiring and other little things.

I have no idea what is under the enclosure - I may remove it and make access areas like you mention to check the tanks, wiring and other abnormalities from the factory.

My local dealer in Abbotsford could order it in rolls when I was interested in enclosing my 174BH, so it is available as mentioned earlier in this thread.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:44 AM   #19

It doesn't seem to me like a big hassle to remove when needed. I've removed part of it to do some mods and it's just a few self tapping screws. It's not water tight so if anything leaks you would see it. And in theory you should have a lot less issues with wiring because it's all out of the elements and not getting caked with mud and road salt.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:23 AM   #20

Our 2014 jay flight doesn’t have an underbelly. I thought I always wanted an underbelly but I love having everything exposed! Easy to check on mechanicals. But if our camping brings below freezing temps then we will use the camper like a glorified tent and not use tanks.
rte1985 is offline   Reply With Quote