Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #1

End to End Jayco experience, PDI / Delivery completed

Today, I took delivery of my 2016 27BDH.

Thanks to all of the awesome people on this site, I was well armed with the knowledge of what to expect, what to demand.

My walk through lasted about 4 hours (+ 2 more hours working with the finance guy) The employee that did my walk through was AWESOME. Backtrack about a week, when we first decided on this TT, we found a few minor issues ourselves. All, were as expected, fixed perfectly. Examples would be a loose trim piece, a tiny leak in the outside kitchen sink plumbing, and a blown fuse that prevented the propane gas leak 'alarm' from working. Turns out this blown fuse was a very big clue in solving an electrical problem that came from the factory.

After our lengthy walk through and finance, my wife and daughter were starving and ready to bail. While they were eating a mexican lunch / dinner at a nearby restaurant, I stayed behind and did my own final walk through with nobody else around. I discovered 1 problem. The led lights on my overhang could not be turned off. This problem didn't surface during the walk through because it didn't exist until the tech put a new fuse in the circuit for the carbon monoxide detector. I don't believe in coincidences, and pointed out the obvious 'every time you fix this, 'that' breaks.

Being a quality assurance manager in a tech industry, I wanted to make sure this wasn't a noobie error. I tried every imaginable combination of switches, along with the remote. No dice.

I walked back into the main building where I was greeted with 4 employees, all on a first name basis with me at this point, asking if I needed help. I explained the situation with the lights and their lead tech and I walked back to the TT so I could show him the issue. The factory had incorrectly wired up the led lights to the same circuit the carbon monoxide detector was on.. simple fix (for them). While he was looking over my TT some more, he noticed that mine still had the 'stability control' sensor installed. He explained that this system has been recalled and they needed to remove it now. He also asked me where the grill was that was supposed to be included in my TT. I was like I don't know what you're talking about. He explained that my outdoor kitchen came with a BBQ grill that was to be mounted on the bumper. Awesome!

Long story short, I made out extremely well at my dealership, was treated like royalty and am VERY Happy with my new Jayco.

We hear so many horror stories about how these experience go for some of us, I just wanted to point out how incredibly awesome they can also go when you go to the right place, staffed with people that really do care. Now the adventure really begins.

I'm sure there will be additional tweaks that need to be made. I anticipate they will be resolved just as everything else has been to date. I'm very happy with the overall experience. Just wanted to share.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #2

That is GREAT it all went well and you (and the techs) were able to find the issues before you left and get them fixed.
Think though, If this would have been a hurry up PDI, (like a lot are) how much would have been missed to be found out AFTER you got your new trailer home or were out for the first time.

ENJOY your upcoming back to back trips!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:24 AM   #3

Thanks

I think if people realize it's more like buying a new home than a 'car', they can set the stage (expectations) early on with the dealership and it just seems to go better. I was a little surprised at how long the financing part took, and that's with an 800+ credit score, it just seemed like an eternity signing all the papers.

Here in Denver, I have 72 hours to get my new camper off the street in front of my house before I get a ticket. Will spend the next 2 days putting my load balancing hitch on, packing the essentials and then we're out. Stinks that my daughter starts school the week after, or we'd probably be gone for the next 2 months.

Edit: I keep getting typos on the model of my TT.. I type 27BHS and it turns into 27XYZ or some other model that doesn't exist, probably my fault
Old 08-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #4

We just took delivery of our new Jayco 25BHS and it was an easy process. It definitely wasn't my first go round either. The dealership asked if I was in a hurry to take delivery and explained that they were backed up in the PDI department. Having been a sales and leasing consultant for the past 12 years, I knew the value NOT being in a rush to get our new toy home. I told them to take their time and call us when they were ready to get it "down the road". Exactly one week later we got the call and we could not be happier. Every aspect of our new trailer was/is flawless. They thanked us profusely for giving them the time it takes to properly prepare out TT for delivery. Moral: Good things come to those who wait.

Jayco 25BHS
Ford F-350 V10
Trailer? What Trailer?
Sparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:38 AM   #5

That's GREAT! That's the way it SHOULD be! Congrats on the new trailer.

Since you had such a positive experience at your dealer, you should consider sharing his name here on the forum. This is the best resource (IMO) we have to steer other members into quality dealerships. There's also a poll on the forum where you can share your experience:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-25639.html

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Thanks!

So dealer info:
Camping World (surprised?)
16000 W Colfax Ave, Golden CO

My dealer's name was Patrick, but honestly he didn't have too much to do with everything.. Not to discount his role, but it was the 'support staff' that really made the difference. I'll jump over to that other thread when I get a sec. Feeling too much like a little kid that just got their first really cool fort to be on the PC much

Cheers,
Mark
Old 08-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Thanks!

So dealer info:
Camping World (surprised?)
16000 W Colfax Ave, Golden CO

snip...
Honestly, yes I'm a bit surprised. But there are good CW's out there, it just seems they are the exception to the rule. I have a saying: "Even a broken clock is right twice a day"!

Have fun with your new "toy"!!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Congrats!!! We purchased ours on 3/15/2016 27RLS and couldn't be happier. I can tell you that we have had it out 10 times for between 1 and 7 night stays (varies each time), and all has been well.
ryounglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #9

Its always great to hear about positive experiences. My buying experience, specifically dealing with my salesman was not a positive one. I ended up dealing directly with the sales manager as there was clearly a personality clash between the salesmen and myself.

My PDI was rushed but I refused to allow them to push me. My tech had to leave me after about 90 minutes but I stayed in the trailer for about an additional 90 minutes. I didn't discover anything that needed repair and then I had the same experience as you where we spent a bit over 2 hours with the finance guy where he repeatedly tried to upsell me an extended warranty.

I've only found a few minor issues with my camper that I have remedied myself but I don't have a good feeling about my CW if I have to return for service

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #10

We spent 6 hours on our PDI.
Handled them the PDI checklist we were going to use when we put money down.

Scheduled pickup for 12 days later due to work schedule, let them pick when.

Arrived and was ushered to the Finance guy...refused to sign anything until after the PDI. Several times they said Finance was busy and I might have to wait until the next day, I said I would wait. No wait required, he stayed over "just" for us.

I asked for the Factory Invoice...had to push to get it. It showed my all options that were on the trailer when ordered, ensure items were not missing. I was told beofore I had the Invoice that the 2 propane tanks and tank covered was an option, during sales they were on the trailer. Take plenty of pictures of the rig before you put $$ down.

I had photos of Tires DOT dates, etc to ensure they were in date and stayed wit the rig over the week. I seen 2016's with 2 year old DOT dates.

Wanted on the roof to inspect it...they could not find a ladder...I had brought my own.

Tested water systems, A/C while cooking with Microwave. We took a cooler of drinks and lunch goodies to prepare in the rig while we worked.

We found a few items. The promptly went to another unit and and got parts.

Check all keys to find they did not work where supposed to. Using the VIN and Invoice # found locks had been changed because they had lost the keys, then found the factory keys putting them in "the file". The gave me the factry keys to use with the replacement locks.

We checked every outlet with outlet tester, operated every door and windows. Found a screen damaged. Check refrigerator on gas and electric.

We have been happy with it, had it hope a year this month. We do everything we can to keep it from going back to dealer. Spend sometime watching how they treat rigs in for repair, not a good thing.

Modifications list at https://www.stormpod.org
StormPOD is offline   Reply With Quote