Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #1

Endurance Tire Question

I have a 2017 Whitehawk 27Dsrl. It has the Goodyear Endurance tires. They are rated at 65 pounds max. When I stored the trailer last winter I asked the dealer to make sure they were at 65 pounds when I picked it up. I just checked them and they are all 60. They must of misunderstood me. I have already taken one trip and I am leaving for a three day trip tomorrow driving 230 miles each way.

Questions is can I leave them at 60 until I get to the park and then air them up while I am there? The trailer is not heavily loaded. Tanks empty.

Thanks.

Steve
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #2

It is common for a tire to lose pressure over time. That's why it's recommended to check your tire pressure once a month. You can drive on 60 psi. You may see slightly warmer tire operating temp and more drag due to theoretical greater tire contact with the pavement. There is more to consider but those are the two most common pitfalls of low tire pressure. The third would be sway. Passing or getting passed by a semi will see more back and forth movement with low pressure tires (resulting in greater pavement contact and higher operating temps). That all relate.

All that said, 5 psi from 65 psi is not near at dramatic as 5 psi from 30 psi. You'll be fine till you find the air filling station.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:54 PM   #3
Site Team

I would purchase a compressor and air up and monitor my own tires. If you have to go to the trouble of checking behind someone, it's time saving to do it yourself.

Lot's more convenient.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #4

Hi all. Looks like I am a bit embarrassed. I hooked up a air compressor and the tires are sitting at 65. My digital air pressure gauge is off by 5 pounds. Looks like the same for my truck. Truck says one thing and digital gauge says something else. Need a new gauge. Any recommendations on a good one that can be used on my trailer tires and my truck? Thank you to everyone for their comments and suggestions.
Bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:04 PM   #5

I use the duel foot air pressure gauge like the truckers use. I have used them since I was a kid on my Dad's farm. Get the heavy duty type. All air gauges will get out of wack as they get older.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #6
Site Team

One thing that convinced me to get my own compressor years ago is that my tires need 80 to 100 psi and I found out the hard way that most service stations do not have that pressure available. This requires you to find a truck stop for routine pressure adds.

Much easier to have your own and not that expensive.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #7

Also temperature and sun will make a difference leave one in the sun and check it in a while. Or check the pressure in the morning, then in the afternoon withour moving the vehicle.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdomino View Post
Truck says one thing and digital gauge says something else. Need a new gauge. Any recommendations on a good one that can be used on my trailer tires and my truck?
To answer your tire gauge question...

I like the Milton brand tire gauges. Not all of the Miltons are USA made but if you specify USA in your search, you'll find one on Ebay for about $11. The one I have pictured here is made in the USA and ranges 20-120 pounds in 2 pound increments. Other ranges (like 10-50 pounds, etc.) are also available. It's a nice professional gauge in my opinion.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-06-21-23-05-32.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	41135

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote