Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #1

Enlighten me-water pressure regulator?

Other than self explanatory, not sure I understand the need. Does the water pressure in a TT tend to fluctuate? I thought it was as simple as turning on the faucet at you hook ups to the desired flow.
Thanks for the input
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Site Team

The water pressure regulator is to protect your plumbing from extreme pressure or pressure spikes from an unknown water system like in a campground.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Some CGs have extremely high water pressure. The pressure regulator, when connected to the city water hose, protects the plumbing system from damage due to high inlet water pressure.

Internally, the water pump does not produce much water pressure.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Other than self explanatory, not sure I understand the need. Does the water pressure in a TT tend to fluctuate? I thought it was as simple as turning on the faucet at you hook ups to the desired flow.
Thanks for the input
Since a lot of campground use a pump to send water to the I individual site ,the water pressure can vary . Most trailer have the water piping rated at 50lbs. Even though if you take a quick look at the tubing you might think thatnitnis PEX piping .true but it is not rated to same as what is installed in modern day homes. I personally have changed out all my tubing to 120 lbs PEX as well as 'll the faucets. .Even so I use a regulator and a filter when connected to unknown sources

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 03:25 PM   #5

We stayed at one campground that would rent you a regulator if you didn't have one because their pressure was high.

David & Sandy Hinkle
2014 X23B
2007 Honda Ridgeline Traded
2016 F150 Max Tow, Tow mirrors
dhinkle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 PM   #6

Just a quick tip...

Put the regulator on the "upstream" end of your supply hose, right where it connects to the post.
I've had a standard hose blow out from water pressure surge.

Ian, the damp man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

Here's a good example. I had some parts left over after repairing an air compressor, so I bought some more and made my own water pressure gauge:

I hooked it up to our city water supply at home and to the trailer and here's what it showed:

About 70 PSI. The trailer's water system is rated for 50 PSI, so if I kept it there for any length of time, I'd be dealing with leaks pretty quickly. After hooking up the gauge after the 45 PSI reducer, here's what I got:

The pressure reducer decreases the incoming water pressure to something that the RV's water system can handle. Now I know that my household water supply is 70 PSI, but I have no idea what kind of pressure the campground is supplying, and since we camp at a half dozen different campgrounds throughout the summer, then it's anyone's guess. With a good pressure reducer, the guesswork is gone, and I know my water system is protected.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:59 AM   #8
Site Team

We have found wide ranges in water supplied from a public waterworks. Most cg’s we have been in will notify you and even sell or rent you a regulator. I prefer a good one so we carry our own and slways use it. That way it keeps the pressure at a safe psi for the RV.
If it’s lower than the incoming supply it has no affect as long as the regulator is the same or larger than the incoming line.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:12 AM   #9

The water pressure at a campground varies a lot depending on how close or far away your site is from their well or their connection to the city main. If you're close, you could be 90 lbs plus. If you're way out, the pressure might be 30 or less. A lot depends on how big the pipes are in the water runs to their sites and how many campers are using water.
retiredtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

We stayed at a CG this summer and was told “you NEED a pressure reg”. Their water pressure was over 100#! If I didn’t have one they could loan one to me. I used a cheap one for a couple of years before spending a little more for an adjustable one and I believe the cheapie was restricting the water flow more than my adjustable one.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:28 AM   #11

I also recently went to an adjustable water pressure regulator.
IMO the adjustable water pressure regulator works better then the standard ones.

We camp regularly at a campground that its water pressure is 80 PSI.
The local RV dealer says he sells a lot of water pressure regulators .
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5429.jpg  
Old 11-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #12

All very good comments. We just returned from a 2 week trip, water pressure at one campground was 70 PSI. Previously had fixed some minor leaks with pressure at 40 PSI. Think what might have happened with higher pressure.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote