Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2023, 09:15 AM   #1

Entry Door issue

Hey everyone,
We have a 25RB that was built in July of 2022. Our entry door is warped outward where the lock is. This causes us to have to slam the door when inside to get it to latch.
Has been like this since day 1, dealer had to adjust the catch plate so the deadbolt would work when we picked it up. It is really more of an annoyance than anything.
I think the doors were probably stored flat at the factory with something under them, causing them to warp overtime.
I talked to the dealer again, we checked three other trailers of my model he had on his lot that were built after mine and they are exactly the same way.
My question is, if I use some square steel bar on each side of the door with c clamps up and down it for several days, does anyone think I can get it to flatten out? I know I can do it with wood to get a warp out, but don’t know about how the structure of these doors are.

Thanks

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:22 AM   #2

Unless they've changed it's an aluminum frame with a foam core. Why isn't the dealer asking JAYCO for a new door?
Old 03-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #3

Basically Jayco is saying, the door works it’s fine. He offered to swap it with another one on his lot with the same decals to make me happy. That’s how I know they were the same as mine.
As a note the dealer has been very accommodating with every other issue and seems to want to do the right thing.
Rather than fight with Jayco, that is why I decided to just fix it myself. I wouldn’t mind it with no door in my driveway for a few days.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 03-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #4

I don't think your steel bar idea will work. What you'll need to do is have a space at the center of the warped are so you can squeeze the door beyond straight. That way when you release the clamps it should spring back closer to straight. Probably need some trial and error.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #5

It’s about 3/8” at the most. I used a four foot level to check it.
I was concerned about the fiberglass also, I work with wood and steel, but have little to no experience with fiberglass.

Thanks

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 03-14-2023, 10:00 AM   #6

I have owned many RV's over the years and have noticed this condition on most of them. If your concern is with slamming the door and the noise that doing so makes, you could try holding the latch open with one hand while shutting the door with the other hand and then releasing the latch. Also, plenty of lubrication helps. ~CA
Old 03-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #7

I have also, and normally I would do exactly as you describe. Hold the latch to pull it closed and release.
The issue is you can’t get the latch to catch that way, it needs the momentum of slamming if that makes sense.
From the outside is easy, just push on it hard enough.
Lol

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 03-14-2023, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
I have also, and normally I would do exactly as you describe. Hold the latch to pull it closed and release.
The issue is you can’t get the latch to catch that way, it needs the momentum of slamming if that makes sense.
From the outside is easy, just push on it hard enough.
Lol
I would try another adjustment to the latch catch plate, just a little further out and try again. I did have an RV that I suspect the door frame wasn't perfectly aligned and I could never find the happy spot for the catch plate latch vs the deadbolt portion, and I ended up filing away a little bit of the latch plate for the deadbolt to easily work while maintaining easy operation of the door latch itself. In any case, I would try everything else possible prior to trying to warp the door back straight. ~CA
Old 03-14-2023, 10:26 AM   #9

I am assuming you have two strike plates, one for the dead bolt and a second for the spring latch. On the spring latch plate there is a tab that is usually bent back at a 45° angle. Sometimes adjusting that to guide the spring latch in a little tighter will help.
Old 03-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I am assuming you have two strike plates, one for the dead bolt and a second for the spring latch. On the spring latch plate there is a tab that is usually bent back at a 45° angle. Sometimes adjusting that to guide the spring latch in a little tighter will help.
This unit has one large strike plate that both the spring and dead bolt go into.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 03-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #11

Although probably not the same issue but we had something similar with our 2022 White Hawk 27RB main entry door. After the dealer tried to adjust the door catch, we still had to slam the door to get it to latch. I started looking it over and found a small piece of plastic glued to the bottom of the door. It would stop the door from shutting completely. Without tweaking or bending the center of the door it would not latch. It was only about a half inch in size but it was enough to cause issues with the door shutting. I have no idea what it's purpose was but after i pulled it off with some pliers, the door shuts beautifully now. No slamming required.

Larry Simpson
L&LSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:24 PM   #12

I have a 2022 27RB and had the same issue. The dealer made several attempts at adjusting the striker plate which did not work. I had several conversations about them getting Jayco to replace the door with no result. So, I asked Doctor Google. I found found several you tube videos where owners used two 2x4. One each at the top and bottom corners and just pushed on the middle of the door. I shared this with the dealer. I thought this would work, but I didn't want to try it since I was still under warranty. They asked me to bring it in and magically the door was fixed. They told me they did exactly what I had found on you tube. Six months later with no issues. Mine was only about a 1/4 out in the middle, but enough that my wife could not pull or slam closed.

Good Luck.
SLGoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 05:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLGoff View Post
I have a 2022 27RB and had the same issue. The dealer made several attempts at adjusting the striker plate which did not work. I had several conversations about them getting Jayco to replace the door with no result. So, I asked Doctor Google. I found found several you tube videos where owners used two 2x4. One each at the top and bottom corners and just pushed on the middle of the door. I shared this with the dealer. I thought this would work, but I didn't want to try it since I was still under warranty. They asked me to bring it in and magically the door was fixed. They told me they did exactly what I had found on you tube. Six months later with no issues. Mine was only about a 1/4 out in the middle, but enough that my wife could not pull or slam closed.

Good Luck.

Thanks, at least I’m not the only one.
Will give it a try.
Thanks

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 03-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #14

Our entry door at the back of a light trailer takes a beating and often needs adjustment. Over the years I've adjusted strike plates, handles, and filed down part of the door frame. It's a nuisance, but just part of the trailer, I guess.
Hope you find a solution that works for you.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 01:44 PM   #15

Warped door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markb5900 View Post
Hey everyone,
We have a 25RB that was built in July of 2022. Our entry door is warped outward where the lock is. This causes us to have to slam the door when inside to get it to latch.
Has been like this since day 1, dealer had to adjust the catch plate so the deadbolt would work when we picked it up. It is really more of an annoyance than anything.
I think the doors were probably stored flat at the factory with something under them, causing them to warp overtime.
I talked to the dealer again, we checked three other trailers of my model he had on his lot that were built after mine and they are exactly the same way.
My question is, if I use some square steel bar on each side of the door with c clamps up and down it for several days, does anyone think I can get it to flatten out? I know I can do it with wood to get a warp out, but don’t know about how the structure of these doors are.

Thanks
This sounds like the problem that we had with our 2021 Jayco HT fifth wheel as well. While I thought it was a warped door and the dealer tried to adjust it multiple times, I discovered that the door was binding with the screen door hinge assembly. Look at it closely when you close the door and see if everything is lining up properly on the hinge side of the door when you are closing up. After I figured out what was really going in, it was a pretty simple adjustment to get everything working properly.
lsugarbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:12 PM   #16

I picked up a new 2023 Jayco Pinnacle on March 3, 2023. Before I left the Dealership, I noticed that as I tried to close the door it was difficult to push it to a closed latched position. At about 3-1/2 inches before latching, the door would stop and it was difficult to push it to a closed latched position. After further investigation, I found that the way the MORryde Exterior Steps Bracket lays up against the door frame, it prevents the screen door from closing properly. The Door Frame is designed for the Screen Door Frame to lay flat against the Door Frame but the Stairs Bracket has been placed between the Door Frame and the Screed Door Frame preventing the Door to function as designed. Jayco said there is no problem if the door can be closed.
Attached Thumbnails
MORryde Steps 1.jpg   MORryde Steps 2.jpg   MORryde Steps 3.jpg  
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:20 PM   #17

Thanks to all.
I did the 2x4 “adjustment “ that was in one of the Lippert videos.
Seemed to help a little.
Will work on it more when we get back to home base.

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Old 05-06-2023, 04:47 PM   #18

Thanks Guys. We have a 2022 265RLS with the friction hinges and the rear door frame can be seen moving near the bottom of the door as you open / close the door. I am afraid that the frame wall area will wear out and weaken over time. Currently the door needs to be slammed shut.

Any fixes?
ComputerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:50 PM   #19

Here is what was suggested that worked for me. The middle hinge is not friction, just the top and bottom. The hinges have a cap on the top. Remove the caps. Dribble 3-in-one oil into the hinges and replace the caps.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 09:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Here is what was suggested that worked for me. The middle hinge is not friction, just the top and bottom. The hinges have a cap on the top. Remove the caps. Dribble 3-in-one oil into the hinges and replace the caps.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I have also reached out to Lippert to see if they have a thought or two. I would prefer a few drops of oil do the trick over returning the rig for repairs.
ComputerBob is offline   Reply With Quote