Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2014, 07:46 PM   #1

EPDM or TPO roof ???

I am going to have my insurance replace the roof membrane on my 2013 Jayflight due to some unexpected tears from something not sure what. Anyway the dealer said that they would put the factory TPO back on or they could put on the EPDM which is a little thicker. What would be best , I have never had a rubber roof replaced before so I need some insight from the ones who have.Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo-power View Post
I am going to have my insurance replace the roof membrane on my 2013 Jayflight due to some unexpected tears from something not sure what. Anyway the dealer said that they would put the factory TPO back on or they could put on the EPDM which is a little thicker. What would be best , I have never had a rubber roof replaced before so I need some insight from the ones who have.Thanks

Insurance? Shouldn't this be a warranty claim for unexpected tears? It's a 2013 and the roof is covered for 12 yrs.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:42 PM   #3

The Alpha-Ply TPO on my trailer has been great. Only 2 year old so I can't validate longevity, I do appreciate the fact it doesn't chalk the way my previous EPDM FUD. It seems to be a bit sturdier, at least it isn't "squishy", and not as slick like the EPDM was. I like the orange peel texture on the Alpha Ply TPO.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

The roof should still be under warranty, unless you done something to cause the tears, if you didn't I would call Jayco about the warranty.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #5

When i had my roof replaced last year(storm damage) it had a tpo on it. When the repair shop took off the factory roof they found lots of rotted wood. No apparent leaks could be found. The shop said it was from the roof "sweating". They claimed the felt backing on the tpo membrane was holding moisture therefore causing rot. We went back with epdm to stop that problem. Jayco had alot of problems in the years 06-09 tpo roofs. I think jayco quit using it(tpo) for some time. So do some research before deciding which way to go. Hope this helps.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22f/c View Post
When i had my roof replaced last year(storm damage) it had a tpo on it. When the repair shop took off the factory roof they found lots of rotted wood. No apparent leaks could be found. The shop said it was from the roof "sweating". They claimed the felt backing on the tpo membrane was holding moisture therefore causing rot. We went back with epdm to stop that problem. Jayco had alot of problems in the years 06-09 tpo roofs. I think jayco quit using it(tpo) for some time. So do some research before deciding which way to go. Hope this helps.
Great point...the Alpha Ply TPO I mentioned is not felt backed. Felt backed roofing can cause water to wick and create significant damage.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #7

Our new 2015 Jay Flight 23RB has Diflex II on it,

Diflex II™ is a new non-fleece backed TPO membrane from Dicor the RV Roofing Experts. Unlike standard TPO, Diflex II™ is extremely flexible and is as supple as most EPDM. It easily conforms to most RV roofing surfaces for a snug, tight fit. Diflex II™ is embossed with a light pebble pattern to dull harsh reflections and provide a classic look.

DiFlex II Non-Fleece Backed TPO Roofing System: All the Advantages of EPDM

• DiFlex II contains no plasticizers to migrate.

• DiFlex II remains flexible throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is UV resistant throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II remains flexible to resist hail damage throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is even flexible in cold weather and less prone to cracking.

• DiFlex II is easily repairable throughout its lifetime.

• DiFlex II is not effected by ponding water.

• DiFlex II is not effected by environmental contaminants.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #8

I did snag a limb or something not sure we did not find out until we got home from our last trip and I know it happened on that trip.

My trailer has the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane with no backing. I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
I did snag a limb or something not sure we did not find out until we got home from our last trip and I know it happened on that trip.

My trailer has the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane with no backing. I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?

I ask them the same question, this is what I was told, they said the Diflex II was much more durable than the Alpha systems TPO roof membrane. Most of the things listed in the other post I made about the Diflex II, Alpha systems TPO don't have.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #10

Quote:
I wonder why Jayco changed to the Diflex for 2015 maybe problems,or costs ?
I would say costs.
Old 08-04-2014, 01:36 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
I would say costs.
..... and it's a lighter material.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 04:43 AM   #12

After reading some info on the prices of different roof materials it boils down to costs being cheaper.
For my trailer a 35ft roll is needed as per the quote I have:

Alpha systems ( per my quote) $ 831.64

Dicor EPDM $ 1123.95

Dicor Flex 2 TPO $ 588.95

These prices are just the roof material only.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 AM   #13

I am still waiting on the insurance company to approve the roof material replacement on my trailer. Did not know it would take this long. During this time though my policy has come up for renewal and come to find out that my snags in the roof claim has caused them to put 3 pts on my liscense and they are saying that this incident is an at fault collision since a stationary object was struct. If I had known I would have to wait this long and get points put on my DL and still not even sure they will approve the repair I might have done something different.
By the way the coverage is through Good Sam and there underwriter is NGIC.

Has anyone else had this much difficulty with Good Sam or other insurance companies when it comes to claims ???
Old 09-10-2014, 06:14 AM   #14

Quote:
I am still waiting on the insurance company to approve the roof material replacement on my trailer. Did not know it would take this long. During this time though my policy has come up for renewal and come to find out that my snags in the roof claim has caused them to put 3 pts on my liscense and they are saying that this incident is an at fault collision since a stationary object was struct. If I had known I would have to wait this long and get points put on my DL and still not even sure they will approve the repair I might have done something different.
By the way the coverage is through Good Sam and there underwriter is NGIC.

Has anyone else had this much difficulty with Good Sam or other insurance companies when it comes to claims ???
I would drop them asap! the bad thing is the way they handled the claim, you may have a hard time getting other insurance at a good price.

Most insurance company's love you until you have a claim, I bet the renewal price will be higher due to your claim.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:22 AM   #15

You are exactly right the renewal premium is now $ 226.00 more than last year and the claim has not even been approved and they have put 3pts against my license for an incident that did not involve another vehicle.

I don`t know if this will make my auto ins rates go up or not but I sure hope not.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #16

How does the insurance company know what the cause is?
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:51 PM   #17

I told them that this happened while traveling on our last trip . We were having to ride at night after we got off from work so it was dark and I do not know where or when it happened. Probably a low hanging limb I did not see not sure.

I knew there was no need in lying and saying it happened while parked.

But I do not understand why they add points to your DL if you did not hit another vehicle or someones personal property.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:07 PM   #18

Quote:
I don`t know if this will make my auto ins rates go up or not but I sure hope not.
You can count on it.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheGo View Post
How does the insurance company know what the cause is?
I was just curious - didn't know if you knew. The reason I asked was while camping several seasons ago I saw a flying toy land on the roof of a TT while the owner was away. It came in rather fast and I wondered if there was any roof damage. Later, the family playing with the toy contacted the TTs owner and told them what happened.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
But I do not understand why they add points to your DL if you did not hit another vehicle or someones personal property.
I'm confused here as well. How does the DMV or DOT (or whatever Georgia's equivalent is) even know what happened? You made an insurance claim right? Can insurance companies add points to licenses in Georgia? I would have thought only law enforcement would be able to do that, and only as a result of some kind of citation.

Weird...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote