Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #1

Expectations of your RV dealer

My wife and I have ordered a 2015 Jayco Jayflight 26BH from a local dealership. The sales person was rather helpful in recommending different models based on our requirements; no slide out, bunk beds, a separate bedroom, and within tow limits of our vehicle. They didn't have a unit available locally, but had one listed in Buffalo. Unfortunately they found an issue with it when they were preparing to bring it to the local sales office, and ordered one directly from Jayco instead. All this was great, except we had to call each time to get an update on the trailer. We were ensured the unit would be ready well before Columbus Day weekend. Today I called for an update, again not having heard any status even though the estimated delivery was the end of this month, only to be told it was pushed back to October 27. While I understand things happen, I expect to be kept informed of changes, especially when the place is well aware of our planned Columbus Day outing. This is the first new trailer we have purchased, the previous being a used 2004 Coachmen 248TB from the same dealer. I am getting frustrated with the lack of communication from the dealership. I don't want to be unreasonable when I talk to the dealer again, but I feel something needs to change. Is this typical or have y'all had better sales service when having to order something? Thanks.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #2

If this is the kind of treatment your are getting BEFORE you hand them your money (you have not paid yet, I hope) I hate to think how they will treat you AFTER they have it.

Tell them goodbye. Drive a few miles and find a dealer who really wants your business.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #3

Thanks, Chuck. There is another dealership about 30 minutes north, but unfortunately this one is the only dealership anywhere close that sells Jayco, and I am set on a Jayco due to their plywood flooring. There is another one about an hour and a half from here. I'll take a look at their inventory.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Forest river uses tongue and groove plywood in their trailers. There is no question that is what brand my next trailer will be
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:08 PM   #5

Great to know. I'll have to see if the dealer north of us has any.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
Lost in the Woods

We bought a new 2014 Eagle on New Years Eve from a large dealer that we have bought from before. I am totally baffled that we have not heard one word from the salesman or anyone at the dealership since we took delivery which they did the same day. I plan on having the unit for a while, but I may think hard about buying from them again. I guess they don't know that I plan on buying a new 45' Motor Coach when I retire in six years. Maybe that is a good thing. I don't want my phone ringing off the wall.
wwsmith111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:39 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

My dealer or salesperson hasn't been in contact with me since I bought either.

Any communication before I picked it up was all initiated by me as well. Typical behaviour though. I have been in the Automotive industry for almost 30 years and it gets bad there as well
Old 09-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

I don't mind a quiet phone after the sale, but I expect to be informed about changes in the delivery date. They are trying to get one in sooner and will let me know by Saturday. They will have to make additional price concessions if it can't be ready for the Columbus Day weekend. The current camper needs brake work before it goes anywhere other than the dealership for trade in.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #9

Thanks, Nbhybrid. I will give them some leeway if this is typical. I did get a reasonable price ($15,599 minus trade in). I don't know why they couldn't just give a call. It would make all the difference.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcs1776 View Post
Thanks, Nbhybrid. I will give them some leeway if this is typical. I did get a reasonable price ($15,599 minus trade in). I don't know why they couldn't just give a call. It would make all the difference.
I agree...I always called my customers. maybe too much but I didn't care. When their friends would say they were thinking of a new car and who to call, they always thought of me first.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:16 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Maybe your best bet is that when they do call answer the phone and say,"Who is this? You must have the wrong number. Oh yea, now I remember you. I thought you were dead so I bought an RV from someone else."
Old 09-25-2014, 06:21 PM   #12

I think they were afraid to talk to you about the date change. They probably were also hoping (rightfully or not) they could improve on the new date if they worked on it for a few days. They chose to let sleeping dogs lie.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #13

You may be right, David472. I am not a shy person, although I do believe I am fair and generally fairly flexible.

Wwsmith, that might not be a bad idea. I will, however, suggest to the salesman that he would ease a lot of concern by keeping his potential buyers informed.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightcs1776 View Post
My wife and I have ordered a 2015 Jayco Jayflight 26BH from a local dealership. The sales person was rather helpful in recommending different models based on our requirements; no slide out, bunk beds, a separate bedroom, and within tow limits of our vehicle. They didn't have a unit available locally, but had one listed in Buffalo. Unfortunately they found an issue with it when they were preparing to bring it to the local sales office, and ordered one directly from Jayco instead. All this was great, except we had to call each time to get an update on the trailer. We were ensured the unit would be ready well before Columbus Day weekend. Today I called for an update, again not having heard any status even though the estimated delivery was the end of this month, only to be told it was pushed back to October 27. While I understand things happen, I expect to be kept informed of changes, especially when the place is well aware of our planned Columbus Day outing. This is the first new trailer we have purchased, the previous being a used 2004 Coachmen 248TB from the same dealer. I am getting frustrated with the lack of communication from the dealership. I don't want to be unreasonable when I talk to the dealer again, but I feel something needs to change. Is this typical or have y'all had better sales service when having to order something? Thanks.
In August we bought a Jayco from a Buffalo dealer, who also has an upstate location, so my guess is it might be the same company as yours. We were just amazed by the professionalism of the dealership and the huge amount of follow-up calls and contacts made by them, by every department in the organization. We had it delivered and set up and not only got calls from the transportation manager (located upstate), but his driver that was to pick up the unit. Maybe it was just your salesperson that dropped the ball. Ours was a young girl and she was just fantastic.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #15

Good to know Gypsjim. Yes, likely the same collection of dealerships. I had a great experience purchasing the used trailer but was really surprised at the current level of service. I hope a short conversation with the salesman will resolve the issue.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 PM   #16

We recently bought our second TT. We went to our local dealer and asked about a specific Jayco model that we were interested in. After trying to sell us a unit in his inventory, he finally just passed us a piece of paper that was a Jayco White Hawk order sheet. He never bothered to call Jayco to get order dates, rather just said "we can order one and have it here in about 14 weeks". We found exactly the unit we were looking for about 60 miles away and have not regretted the purchase from them. The original dealer has never called us back. If I was the dealer, I would have tried harder to make the sale and, if not, would have called to find out what we bought and why. I guess he didn't want to hear the bad news.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
Forest river uses tongue and groove plywood in their trailers. There is no question that is what brand my next trailer will be
It was my understanding that Jayco also uses tongue and groove plywood. The 2015 Jay Flight models, for example, say that 5/8" tongue and groove plywood flooring is standard.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #18

Yes, the Jayco uses 5/8" plywood. I may contact Kingston RV to see what they can do. They are an hour and a half away, but perhaps they can make a deal.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:53 PM   #19

My buying experience was as expected. All poops and grins. But in a word...what do I expect from my dealer after the sale...Not Much. They performed warranty repairs on my previous RV, even had to send back to factory and they performed other stuff I assume at the same time. Anyway I traded that RV into them (2012 fiver avalanche). They said they would have to inspect when we did actual swap. Wanted to lower trade in by $5000 as crappy repairs....I said...well your other store on the other side of town did all the repairs....they did the original trade value after the red faces.
Ustabslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #20
Lost in the Woods

I think many RV sales people are one step away from being vagrants on the street. Every time the wife and I go shopping for a new RV we visit the same 3 - 4 dealers close to where we live and every time there are totally different sales people working there. They are usually only interested in making the sale. Other than that they wouldn't give you the time of day. So I treat them as such. I have no expectations from them. We recently spent 50K on a new Eagle and never got any follow up calls after the sale. I have just assumed our salesman is dead.