Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #1

Experience towing with Eco in western mountains.

I'm seeking real world experience of folks who tow with the Eco Boost engine, pulling a medium sized trailer in the Rockies and/or Sierras.

I have a 2014 F150 HD w/ Eco Boost engine and pull a 23RB trailer which has a 6500# GVWR.

I've read this engine will pull this size trailer up the mountains very well, but lack of engine size provides less engine braking. Is this so? And if it's so, how do you compensate?

I'm looking for folks who have actual experience, not what they think might happen. Also, I don't need to be advised to get a diesel or a big block V-8, because neither is going to happen. My combo of truck and trailer is what I will be using next spring to go to Utah, Idaho, Yellowstone, and the Black Hills.

One last thing. I will be putting new brakes on the truck before leaving for the Rockies. I'll be putting on better than OEM brakes. I highly value the ability to stop my truck and trailer.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:22 AM   #2

That'll be a great trip
Old 11-03-2017, 06:54 AM   #3

Try looking at some Ford truck forums. Lots of people have the Ecoboost and its a fantastic engine for pulling small to medium sized trailers/5th wheels when properly equipped. You are right about the lack of exhaust brake though. You have a pretty small and light trailer.

I don't have any real world experience with an Ecoboost that I can offer, but I can tell you its like any other vehicle coming down a hill... you have to drive appropriately for the conditions. Keep your speed controlled as you crest the hill, down shift to allow the transmission to help control speed. Don't ride the brakes, use firm pressure to quickly scrub speed when needed, then get off the brakes. 6500 lbs shouldn't overload your brake system though. Change the fluid when you get new brakes too. Drive smart and you won't have a problem. That Ecoboost engine will pull that weight at those grades without a sweat!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Another suggestion is to make sure your trailer brakes are working in tip top condition before leaving. That will make sure your truck brakes won’t have to carry more than it’s share of the braking the load.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:12 PM   #5

Towing in Rockies

This is my experience as it relates to me regarding your question. I’m not offering any advice. I tow in the west, including various grades from moderate to steep hills. I had a 2014 F150 3.5 Screw Eco with max tow and towed a Jayflight travel trailer (27RLS) of around 8,000 lbs loaded without problems. I now have 2017 F150 3.5 Screw max tow Eco and pull a smaller White Hawk travel trailer (24MBH) of about 6,000 lbs without problems (we downsized to a smaller tt). My towing is during the summer months with good roads. In my experience, both vehicles towed/tow very well with plenty of power up hills with the ability to stop when wanted and as needed. I’ve always had good braking ability going down hills. I have not experienced any problems so far ascending and descending hills. The descent on some very steep hills always demands that I be extra alert and cautious. I feel the going down hill on those steep hills creates more of a potential for problems. I tow in the west including the Rocky Mountains on interstates and on highways which include flat areas, moderate hills and some steep hills. On some very steep down grades I manually shift down before the descent. On the descent I will press fairly heavily on the brake pedal for short periods of time when needed (when RPMs race uncomfortably higher or speed is uncomfortably faster) and then let off the brake pedal as soon as I can and this keeps RMPs lower and my speed at a safe level. I keep my foot off the brake pedal as much as possible to keep from overheating the truck brakes or trailer brakes, but I’m not afraid to apply the brakes as needed. I try to be proactive - acting before there is an unsafe condition. I’ve not had a problem slowing down, stopping or overheating brakes in my towing experience with these vehicles. I have always had plenty of power too. I suppose there are some very, very steep grades that I would go out of my way to avoid, such as the trip from Victor, Idaho down to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That one is just plain scary to me, but I’ve seen motor homes on that hill, and fifth wheels and travel trailers being towed on that route and they go very slow and cautious and don’t seem to have problems. I suppose any rig can experience problems towing through steep mountains like those in the Rockies, but I’ve had good towing experiences with these vehicles in such conditions. Good luck with your trip!
Old 11-03-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
Site Team

I have a 2012 Eco HD/Max Tow. mmwhit has a lot of good information in his previous post. A few years a go we towed from Central Fl, to Colorado. We spent a month traveling around Co, actually spent the time avoiding all the fires that year.

You did not mention what your rear axle ratio is. That will play a big part in mountain towing. I have a 3:73 ratio.

A few things I did while towing an Eagle 284BHS was:
- Make sure you are in Tow-Haul mode.
- Set up your internal brake controller before you hit the mountains.
- I used cruise control along with Tow-Haul mode (all the time). When you see the sign 6+% grade with the hill going down, get in the SLOW lane, set your cruise control to 8 mph lower than the TRUCK speed limit (before you get to the down-grade). Slow down to the 8 mph lower than the truck limit. This will max out your speed around the TRUCKs speed limit. It works with 8mph on mine, but you may have a different axle ratio and that will have an effect on the downhill max speed for you. You can test this out on the smaller hills. I do not remember exactly, but I believe the engine braking was between 4K & 5K RPM's. When the RPMs get up there, brake and slow down again... starting the process over again. The Eco has a REVing redline at 6 to 7K depending on year/size. Yes that is accelerating redline, but you know that they can rev to that limit safely.
- Braking will be necessary with the Eco, so brake way down to 35MPH, reactivate the cruise control after using the brakes and start the process over again. You will only need to do it a few times.
- If you are catching a Semi on the way down, you are going to fast.

You may want to test your brakes on some of the smaller hills to get a feel of the TV/TT braking characteristics.

Ignore the IDIOTS that are blasting past you... Keep an eye on your mirrors for any other vehicles behind you.

After the first hill, it is a piece of cake.

Have FUN and go slow!!

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #7

Maybe I don't understand something around using cruise control going downhill. In my car cruise control uses brakes to slow down, if necessary. I prefer to use the brakes myself to control the heat. I would not use cruise control on downhill, at least in my car. I switch the transmission to sport mode to increase engine braking.
bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:57 AM   #8

Thanks to everyone for your comments so far. Seems like if I drive very carefully, and use my head I should be fine.

I've read a lot in the past about making sure you go down the mountain in the same gear you went up in. But I get the feeling that with my Eco, if I go up in 4th, I should be no higher than 3rd going down.

I have know about not riding the brakes. I know to brake hard to drop my speed below what it needs to be, and then let off to let them cool off.

I have to put new brake pads on now anyway. I'm going to replace them with some heavy duty brakes, including the rotors, if need be.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:31 AM   #9
Site Team

Not sure about the newer models, but my 2012 F150 only uses the transmission to slow down. I would ASSUME (that word again) that when the truck is in tow-haul mode it will use the transmission for stopping, but that is only my thoughts. The newer trucks may not.

Go to the F150 Ford Truck owners forum and ask the question. Let us know what you find out.

Anyone with a newer F150 that has tested this?

As for automatically downshifting, it has never dropped below 3rd gear on the downshifting with the TT in tow, in the mountains.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 11-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #10

Apologies for confusion. I am not touring with F150. I just thought that cruise control always uses brakes to slow down, regardless of brand/ model.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono View Post
Apologies for confusion. I am not touring with F150. I just thought that cruise control always uses brakes to slow down, regardless of brand/ model.

I know of no vehicles that engage brakes as part of the cruise control system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #12

Actually, I know a couple... BMW, Mercedes, Audi. I thought this is normal in other cars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repacs0103 View Post
I know of no vehicles that engage brakes as part of the cruise control system.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #13
Site Team

My son's new Nissan automatically slows you down when using cruise control and approaching a slower car, it did not downshift, so I believe that it controls the throttle/brakes.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 11-04-2017, 11:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
My son's new Nissan automatically slows you down when using cruise control and approaching a slower car, it did not downshift, so I believe that it controls the throttle/brakes.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR

Very True- my wife’s Volvo does the same. But they won’t apply brakes purely to maintain a set speed, as in on a grade.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

Attlee great questions thanks to everyone for the advise I am heading to Glacier National in a 2018 F150 ( cant wait to get it)

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #16

The 2018 F150 uses the brakes on it adaptive cruise control. It will even bring you to a complete stop and then start driving again without any driver input, as long as traffic hasn't stopped for more than 3 seconds.

That being said, if no one is in front of you, there is no reason for the cruise control to brake, so likely it will only use engine braking.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #17

The F150 EcoBoost I had didn't have that fancy adaptive cruise control, and ost o the new ones don't unless they are top trim level I think . . .

Anyway, here's my experience. In tow-haul mode, going down a hill, the transmission will downshift to hold your speed where it is, without cruise being set. If you want to go slower (because of an corner or something coming up), hit the brakes, and the trans will downshift even further.

This is pretty effective, but it's nothing like a true exhaust brake that some Diesels have. Still, if that's not your expectation, it's a very good system and very effective.

Two things sometimes bother people. 1) you have to hit the gas at the bottom of the hill to get it to stop trying to slow things down, it doesn't "coast" well until you do. and 2) the engine may rev up fairly high. It surprises some people, but it's not going to harm anything.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:49 PM   #18

The Ford F-150 w/ adaptive cruise control uses the brakes when you get to close to another vehicle only to slow down.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimFan View Post
The Ford F-150 w/ adaptive cruise control uses the brakes when you get to close to another vehicle only to slow down.
I was looking to see if I could locate if the F-150 while in Tow-Haul mode uses the brakes with the cruise on, or just the trans. Let me know if you find anything.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 11-10-2017, 07:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwhit View Post
This is my experience as it relates to me regarding your question. I’m not offering any advice. I tow in the west, including various grades from moderate to steep hills. I had a 2014 F150 3.5 Screw Eco with max tow and towed a Jayflight travel trailer (27RLS) of around 8,000 lbs loaded without problems. I now have 2017 F150 3.5 Screw max tow Eco and pull a smaller White Hawk travel trailer (24MBH) of about 6,000 lbs without problems (we downsized to a smaller tt). My towing is during the summer months with good roads. In my experience, both vehicles towed/tow very well with plenty of power up hills with the ability to stop when wanted and as needed. I’ve always had good braking ability going down hills. I have not experienced any problems so far ascending and descending hills. The descent on some very steep hills always demands that I be extra alert and cautious. I feel the going down hill on those steep hills creates more of a potential for problems. I tow in the west including the Rocky Mountains on interstates and on highways which include flat areas, moderate hills and some steep hills. On some very steep down grades I manually shift down before the descent. On the descent I will press fairly heavily on the brake pedal for short periods of time when needed (when RPMs race uncomfortably higher or speed is uncomfortably faster) and then let off the brake pedal as soon as I can and this keeps RMPs lower and my speed at a safe level. I keep my foot off the brake pedal as much as possible to keep from overheating the truck brakes or trailer brakes, but I’m not afraid to apply the brakes as needed. I try to be proactive - acting before there is an unsafe condition. I’ve not had a problem slowing down, stopping or overheating brakes in my towing experience with these vehicles. I have always had plenty of power too. I suppose there are some very, very steep grades that I would go out of my way to avoid, such as the trip from Victor, Idaho down to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. That one is just plain scary to me, but I’ve seen motor homes on that hill, and fifth wheels and travel trailers being towed on that route and they go very slow and cautious and don’t seem to have problems. I suppose any rig can experience problems towing through steep mountains like those in the Rockies, but I’ve had good towing experiences with these vehicles in such conditions. Good luck with your trip!
^^Yeah all this is perfect advice^^
I tow a 27' Jayflight (5-6k lbs) with a 2015 F150 3.5 Ecoboost but have only done so in the Appalachian range on pretty steep slopes but NO ice. It tows very very well so I think you'll do just fine. Do you have a trailer brake control? It is not only helpful but vitally important when traveling in the mountains. I use a combination of the engine and brakes to safely navigate the slopes. Pay attention and don't let other drivers impatience make you uncomfortable.
This is great advice: mmwhit " On some very steep down grades I manually shift down before the descent. On the descent I will press fairly heavily on the brake pedal for short periods of time when needed (when RPMs race uncomfortably higher or speed is uncomfortably faster) and then let off the brake pedal as soon as I can and this keeps RMPs lower and my speed at a safe level."
I would NOT use cruise control in the mountains! It can not foresee what's coming up and therefore will cause more wear and tear on your truck. Bad idea. I've also never heard of an F150 applying brakes in cruise control setting.
Your truck will do fine and all you have to do is be attentive and travel at a speed you are comfortable with. Have fun!