Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2024, 07:11 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

Hi,

I just purchased a new 2023 Jayflight 265RLS that comes with a 2-year warranty. The dealer is offering an extended 4-year warranty (so 6 years total) for $3158 (from People's Choice Warranty). I'm not sure I'm going to keep it that long *maybe 3 years, but I would love some advice. I know warranties are typically just peace-of-mind insurance.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
jakeandabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 07:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandabby View Post
Hi,

I just purchased a new 2023 Jayflight 265RLS that comes with a 2-year warranty. The dealer is offering an extended 4-year warranty (so 6 years total) for $3158 (from People's Choice Warranty). I'm not sure I'm going to keep it that long *maybe 3 years, but I would love some advice. I know warranties are typically just peace-of-mind insurance.

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Save your money for the two years. If you have many problems during that two years, you can purchase it before the end of the two years, or purchase one from outside your dealership which will be cheaper anyway.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 08:53 AM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeandabby View Post
Hi,

I just purchased a new 2023 Jayflight 265RLS that comes with a 2-year warranty. The dealer is offering an extended 4-year warranty (so 6 years total) for $3158 (from People's Choice Warranty). I'm not sure I'm going to keep it that long –*maybe 3 years, but I would love some advice. I know warranties are typically

Thanks in advance,
Jake
Try the search feature for many, many threads on this topic. Consider that almost every item in your unit carries its own warranty from that manufacturer and then there is the two year warranty you mention.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 09:05 AM   #4
Site Team

That's a lot of money for a warranty IMHO. We did buy one back in 1996 when we ordered our first trailer. Never used it at all, and it was half that amount back then, and for a seven-year term.

Some members have been glad they got one, and others have mentioned it was a waste of money. The dealers push warranties because they make a lot of money from the sale. It boosts their profit on the sale of the RV.

Like mentioned above, we would save the money, and use it later if there was any issue we couldn't fix ourselves. Just my opinion worth almost .03 cents.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:24 PM   #5

Do other dealers accept it? Does it have a refund clause if you sell or trade? What insurance company is the underwriter? Those are my key considerations when buying one.
Old 04-26-2024, 03:10 PM   #6

I wouldn't do it. Save your money, fix anything that breaks yourself. Maintain your camper, keep the roof from leaking and treat it gently and it'll last a LOT longer than 3 years.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 04:02 PM   #7

Warranties on rvs and automobiles are an entirely different animal. The expectation of a similar response to have a problem corrected as a well known common rule is not the same.

You will be lucky to get your unit problem corrected at your own dealer that you purchased it from in a timely manner, for starters. There are numerous threads both here and on the web addressing the warranty issues no matter the brand.

The two products do not carry the same enforcement from your state DMV. either. You can whine about getting a lawyer when issues continue to be experienced and all it will do is to give you ulcers.

But if you are financing , you are also paying interest on your cost of the warranty. If you wish to buy one pay for it outright, but do your research on who is actually servicing your purchase. Tell your local dealer or finance guy that you wish to talk to other local owners and see how they reply.
Old 04-26-2024, 04:25 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum!!

Not only no but he!! no IMO. Extended warranties on RVs is almost a bigger scam than the BBB. Sure they are a few people that find value but there are so many ways they can wiggle out of a warranty claim it’s ridiculous. Most people you’ll talk to who bought them wouldn’t do it again.

If you feel like you need an extended warranty buy a policy from a mobile RV dealer in your area. That way you avoid any dealers and at least have someone who is more willing to go to bat for you.

In the end it’s still a big scam imo.
Jerry713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:17 PM   #9

A lot of your satisfaction will depend on the dealer. For example, SOME camping world dealerships will claim that they as so busy that they cant get to it for a while, so they park it on the back 40 and let it languish. Meanwhile you are out of a camper. Keep in mind that they don't get much to fix things so they go where the money is. The items in the camper are warranted by the manufacturer. You can be better off by contracting a service technician (I have never done that).
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 05:57 PM   #10
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
A lot of your satisfaction will depend on the dealer. For example, SOME camping world dealerships will claim that they as so busy that they cant get to it for a while, so they park it on the back 40 and let it languish. Meanwhile you are out of a camper. Keep in mind that they don't get much to fix things so they go where the money is. The items in the camper are warranted by the manufacturer. You can be better off by contracting a service technician (I have never done that).

If Jayco will not authorize that technician you are SOL. My experience from listening and reading here and on Heartland's sight is DON'T buy from Camping World, no matter what they promise you.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty