Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Extended warranty experience?

Buying a new tt and I am considering an extended warranty.

I am interested to know...if you bought a warranty did it pay off financially? I realize some people say it is worth for the piece of mind but I want to know if you made you money back in repairs or not.

If you did buy one what company was it with and were they easy to deal with?

I have a Route 66 warranty on my current tt; I havn't owned the tt long enough for it to go into effect so my own experience here isn't very helpful. I really didn't do much research before buying that warranty or the tt for that matter.

I am not looking for opinions on whether or not to get a warranty...everyone has their own opinion about extended warranties. I am interested in actual experience.
Collinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #2

First, if you trade you old unit in at the same dealer you may get a refund on the ext warranty since Route 66 used to be pro-rated. Secondly I personally only buy extended on motorhomes not towables. JMHO
Old 10-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #3

I have purchased exactly one extended warranty in my life, on my purchased new 2004 Chevy Tahoe. It was 5yr/100k warranty. In year 4 I eclipsed 100k miles with out ever having a claim. To my complete surprise, there was an incentive when I bought it that if I never made a claim against the warranty for the entire "in effect" period the dealership would refund in full the purchase price. About 2 weeks after the 5th year I received a check in my mailbox -- didn't even have to ask for it. When I called and asked about it they reminded me of the "none use" clause -- in fact had I called when I hit 100k miles they would have sent the check sooner.

As for my TT, I have had 2 and to date neither had an issue where an extended warranty would have helped. Each had a couple very minor warranty issues, but both were caught in the first few months.

As a rule I have decided never to purchase an extended warranty again. They are basically a gamble, the purchaser gambling there will be issues and the selling company gambling that there won't. I would rather take the position that I am purchasing decent quality products that will work and last as expected. Sure there might be the occasional time were you purchase a lemon, but I will still take my chances.

If a warranty covered water intrusion and/or leaks it would be a differnt story -- but they don't and that is where the majority of TT/5er issues occur.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #4

I did purchase an extended warranty on my 2012 Jayco. The 2 year warranty expired in July of this year. I did have a couple of minor issues resolved with that warranty. They were easy fixes and involved me picking up a part and fixing it my self. The last thing I had it in for was to look at the fridge. It doesn't keep real cold in the 95 plus degree days at the beach in the summer(sound familar to anyone). They brought it in under the 2 year warranty, but stated it was working as it should. My dealer(who sold me the extended warranty)explained that it was better to get it in under the Jayco warranty than the extended, due to a deductible on the extended, and what he referred to as possible hassles with claims. I do still have 5 years on the extended, and this being my second tt stored where it is, I do expect that at some point I will use it. To the tune of what I paid for it, perhaps not, but you never know.
No TV since Tundra can't do it

krackeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #5

When we got our new 5er in June, I was going to get the extended warranty. I read the fine print that night and called them first thing the next morning to cancel that option.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #6

Depends on the details of our extended warranty. Mine was $1700 for 5 years and if I don't use it I get 100% of my cost returned. If I use it even once I don't get anything returned.

As someone who isn't exactly handy when it comes to doing my own repairs, for me it was well worth the peace of mind
res2cue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #7

Over the years I've probably saved enough money by NOT buying these things to pay for a new camper. Exception is vacuum cleaners. However, some company kept calling to sell me extended coverage for DW's still nearly new SUV. So after several requests for them to stop calling, I engaged one guy and got the price. Five years, 100k, + $100 per use for covered items was about $3300. Just for S & giggles I called my credit union. They issue the same coverage with no deductibles and would charge me about $1200. On top of that it can be purchased after the factory warranty has expired. The other company wanted it to begin now. Moral? Shop around.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 06:31 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Extended warranty is for those who have plenty to spare are not DIY inclined and need a dealer to do their repair. Then buy warranty! Don't forget insurance companies got it all figured out.........they want to make a profit and take my word for it....they do. Shop around for the best deal.
I always learn about my equipment in details which makes me independent from Dealers. Also all the info you need is on the web to assist anyone. I am a self thinker with already a life time experience and enjoy doing the repairs.........that's why I am never board.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:22 AM   #9

In my opinion,(for what ever it is worth) is most extended warranties are just another dealer profit. Not worth the cost. Of coarse if I have a problem, i get on here to get help with the fix.
Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

I extended the warranty on my first Jayco through STAR Interstate. Transferred to the current owner for $50.00 and they used it for a $1000.00 repair without any issue. It helped in the end with the private sale as they felt that should something go wrong it would be covered, which it did and they were.

I had no claims with the RV but did with my car under their policy. I canceled for a refund when I sold the car, even with a claim.

PITA part is the pre auth, but they covered the work.

Make sure you read the fine print as it is always evolving and what once may have been is no longer!! Somebody is always looking at the bottom line and effecting coverages on new policies.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

My buddy was an adjuster for private extended warranty plans.. he was fired for approving too many JUSTIFIED claims. I know the man and he wont cheat his employer or his customers.. so I would say SAVE YOUR MONEY. Put the cash you would spend on the warranty in a separate bank account and use that to pay for repairs
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #12

The best warranty is a personal savings account.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote