Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2019, 06:03 PM   #1

Extending propane

Hi guys I bought the camco kit to extend my propane on my 2019 330RSTS but I started thinking... If I install it on the hose I will be before the factory regulator/splitter.. can anyone tell me the best way to do this? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
7F567828-3650-4C3F-940E-770FA1B29432.jpg  
cm2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you mean you want high pressure propane? The rv should already have a low pressure qc connector somewhere.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Do you mean you want high pressure propane? The rv should already have a low pressure qc connector somewhere.
I bought the Camco Extend a stay thing so I can add an external propane tank but I thought that splitter in the picture is a splitter and regulator so if I run this kit below it I won’t be going through the regulator right?
Old 02-18-2019, 08:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm2785 View Post
I bought the Camco Extend a stay thing so I can add an external propane tank but I thought that splitter in the picture is a splitter and regulator so if I run this kit below it I won’t be going through the regulator right?
I'm not up on the benefits of the extend-a-stay but that center hose is on the regulated side (low pressure) of the propane system. so it would not help you there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I'm not up on the benefits of the extend-a-stay but that center hose is on the regulated side (low pressure) of the propane system. so it would not help you there.
How do you figure it’s on the low side? If I introduce propane into that line below the splitter won’t I be bypassing the regulator? Isn’t that splitter also the regulator? Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Hi guys I bought the camco kit to extend my propane on my 2019 330RSTS but I started thinking... If I install it on the hose I will be before the factory regulator/splitter.. can anyone tell me the best way to do this? Thanks!
cm2785,
From the reading that I have done online, I see where this is a 3 or 4 way high pressure fitting and hose assembly which allows you to tie in an external propane tank to the normal RV tanks, thus extending the length of stay without running out of propane.

Since this is a high pressure connection, you would need to connect the T into one of the HP lines coming from your tank going to the regulator. Turn off all propane at the tanks, then using proper wrenches, unscrew the brass coupling from one of the tanks going into the switch-over/ regulator assembly. Attach the "T" to the regulator assembly and re-attach the tank hose to an available fitting on the "T"(Be sure to minimize any hose kinking). Using another fitting on the "T", attach the new hose that will go to the external tank. If it is a 4 tap "T", you will need to cap the unused port. Now pressurize the system and check for leaks. If all is well, you are good to go.

Best wishes on your project .......... Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
cm2785,
From the reading that I have done online, I see where this is a 3 or 4 way high pressure fitting and hose assembly which allows you to tie in an external propane tank to the normal RV tanks, thus extending the length of stay without running out of propane.

Since this is a high pressure connection, you would need to connect the T into one of the HP lines coming from your tank going to the regulator. Turn off all propane at the tanks, then using proper wrenches, unscrew the brass coupling from one of the tanks going into the switch-over/ regulator assembly. Attach the "T" to the regulator assembly and re-attach the tank hose to an available fitting on the "T"(Be sure to minimize any hose kinking). Using another fitting on the "T", attach the new hose that will go to the external tank. If it is a 4 tap "T", you will need to cap the unused port. Now pressurize the system and check for leaks. If all is well, you are good to go.

Best wishes on your project .......... Swampy
Thanks I figured that’s what I will have to do but I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007HG7N3C?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

I was wondering what else I would need or if they made a kit for this setup that’s better. Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Thanks I figured that’s what I will have to do but I bought this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007H...b_b_asin_image

I was wondering what else I would need or if they made a kit for this setup that’s better. Thanks!
I checked out the link on Amazon, read the Q&A and decided to review Youtube for videos. From all appearances, you will have to modify one of the ports on the "T" to accept a second hose, and you will probably have to modify the end port in order to connect it to the regulator assembly. In essence, you will end up with a male connection from the "T" to the regulator, and 2 female adapters to fit the 2 hoses on the "T".

I did not find any other kits that allowed you to join 3 tanks. Sorry.

As an alternate, you could visit a hardware store and purchase a brass single "T" that would fit between the regulator and both old and new hose with an additional straight nipple to tie the "T" to the regulator switch assembly. HD has a 1/4" FID T for $7.87 and a 1/4" straight hex nipple for $2.72. The same "T" in 3/8" is $9.58, I could not find a listing for a 3/8" nipple. If you have a harbor Freight nearby, check out their brass fittings, you may find even better pricing than HD.

I hope that helps you, at least it is a different aqpproach to the same thing.

............ Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 Jay Raven; Predator 3500i - We call Home Pearl River, Louisiana - edge of the Honey Island Swamp
IMG]https://www.jaycoowners.com/attachments/customavatars/avatar39547_3.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #9

you should have these guys that are smarter than me have not suggested this so I'm probably off track. But would it not be simpler to buy an extra 20 lb tank or buy a taller securing rod and install 30 lb tanks?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
you should have these guys that are smarter than me have not suggested this so I'm probably off track. But would it not be simpler to buy an extra 20 lb tank or buy a taller securing rod and install 30 lb tanks?
I think that the general idea is to have an external propane supply so that you don't use up the house supply. He may be planning to set up the rv in one place and want to attach a 100 gallon or larger tank. Not feasible to mount something like that on the tongue or tote it around in the back of a pickup truck. Those need a lifting device to handle.

If it were a matter of continuing to use the 20# bottles, all he would have to do is replace one hose with one long enough to reach an external tank. Then he could simply swap the hose from tank to tank as the need arises.

..... Swampy