Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 PM   #1

Extra 10lbs in tires for winter storage?

I thought I read in a previous thread some time ago that someone mentioned to put an extra 10lbs of air in the tires while storing thru the winter.
Anyone else heard of this? Good advice? Purpose?
Our winter's along the shores of Lake Erie are usually cold and snowy.
I have and use an RV cover and I also cover the tires.
Thoughts on the additional 10lbs?
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:22 PM   #2

Before I purchased some Goodyear Endurance tires this summer I talked with a Goodyear engineer. He told me the best way to store tires is to remove them or have them off the ground for long term storage and reduce PSI to 10# which is not doable for most. Since I store my TT inside for winter I pulled the wheels and did my bearing repack/brake insp and just stacked the tires with 10psi till spring arrives. I am not sure about adding an extra 10psi for storage with weight on them
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #3

I wouldn't go past sidewall pressure, but I would pump up to the max sidewall pressure, which may be higher than you prefer to run them through the summer, I guess.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:06 PM   #4

Like previously mentioned, I store my trailer inside and I lift the trailer weight off the tires. I then deflate them to 25PSI for the winter. My thought is, why have the rubber expanded to its limit for 4 months?

When we head down to Florida for March break I air them back up to 62PSI (65 is max on mine) and leave them there at that pressure for the season.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
I thought I read in a previous thread some time ago that someone mentioned to put an extra 10lbs of air in the tires while storing thru the winter.
Now I think I have heard everything?? This has got to be someone pulling your leg. Its sort of like being told to replace the summer air with winter air before putting the RV in winter storage. Over inflating anything can't be a good thing.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #6
Site Team

The tire pressure will drop one degree, for every 10 degrees of temperature drop. Maybe that's what someone thought about. By the way, we can't buy winter tire air here in NY until after December 21st

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
The tire pressure will drop one degree, for every 10 degrees of temperature drop. Maybe that's what someone thought about. By the way, we can't buy winter tire air here in NY until after December 21st
They will ship it by the lb on Amazon. Guaranteed to be authentic winter air from Alaska. Has a bit of a bear scat smell if any of it leaks out which is good because it gives you a heads up if you have a leak.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
wwt

My guess the thought is the pressure will drop when the temperature drops. I've also heard 1 pound for every 10 degrees drop.
Back when I stored two muscle cars for winter, I would inflate to max psi and let them sit for 6 months. Did this for 14 years and never had an issue. I do the same for the trailer.
I would say no need to add 10 psi over max rated pressure.
wwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
They will ship it by the lb on Amazon. Guaranteed to be authentic winter air from Alaska. Has a bit of a bear scat smell if any of it leaks out which is good because it gives you a heads up if you have a leak.
Thanks, I keep forgetting about Amazon! Gonna make sure the shipping isn't too much!!!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Thanks, I keep forgetting about Amazon! Gonna make sure the shipping isn't too much!!!
Get Amazon Prime. Shipping is free. Air smells only of Polar Bear scat - much nicer smell than Black Bear scat. New Amazon Extra Prime gets the ultra rare Spirit Bear scented air.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
Site Team

Darn it! My free Prime trial expired two weeks ago!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 11-08-2017, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Get Amazon Prime. Shipping is free. Air smells only of Polar Bear scat - much nicer smell than Black Bear scat. New Amazon Extra Prime gets the ultra rare Spirit Bear scented air.
In case you don't know how to catch a Polar Bear:

Cut a hole in the ice and surround it with green peas. When the bear comes up to take a pea you kick him in the ice hole.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 09:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegill1 View Post
From the Goodyear recreational vehicle tire guide, Page 13

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...eeMPDAbrAbvKqq

Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim
manufacturer’s inflation capacity.

• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have
accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting,
but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks,
make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

'13 Jayco Premier 351RLTS

'17 F350 King Ranch Ultimate FX4 6.7L TD SRW LB BackFlip F1
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
. Its sort of like being told to replace the summer air with winter air before putting the RV in winter storage. .
I always did that when we lived in the Rockies, but now here in southern California I just use the all-season stuff.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
In case you don't know how to catch a Polar Bear:

Cut a hole in the ice and surround it with green peas. When the bear comes up to take a pea you kick him in the ice hole.
So, being a curious and adventurous type guy, I just had to try this method of catching a Polar Bear. Thinking a bear may prefer FRESH peas over the canned ones, I had to re-up my Amazon subscription to find the fresh ones. While I was at it, free shipping over $100, so threw in an order for a 55 gallon drum of winter air for all our tires. Figured that would cover the truck, car, motorcycle, snow blower, wheelbarrow, and both bicycles. So, I drill the ice hole, place the peas around it, as instructed, and wait.....and wait....and wait. The nice policeman who saw me standing by this hole in the ice, with peas around it, asked what I was doing. So I told him. Sometimes it's unwise to be truthful. He REALLY wanted to have me committed somewhere. Then, he explained there were NO polar bears in western New York State. I didn't think about that possibility. So, more money spent on plane tickets to a state that has polar bears, another ice hole, MORE fresh peas. VOILA, a polar bear comes over to take a pea, and I kick him in the ice hole. Sometimes it's unwise to try things without thinking them through. The doctor says the 2000 stitches can come out in a couple weeks. I ask about plastic surgery, and he reminds me that they don't make that much plastic, and Frankenstein costumes are coming BACK in fashion next Halloween. Just thought I'd update y'all.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD