Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-17-2016, 08:08 AM   #1

Extremely Disappointed...

After multiple calls to our dealer (messages left with no response received) to make sure our 2017 Eagle 338RETS was still scheduled to come off the line this week I finally received a call from our salesman. The completion date has been pushed back to the end of July.

I understand that delays happen, but how can a manufacturing company that has been in business as long as Jayco miss a production date by 6 weeks?

And why did I just learn about it on the day it was originally scheduled to come off the line. (just a rhetorical question, I know the answer).
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't understand your disappointment. Was some promise made. Not to make light of it but what difference does it really make over the long haul?

I had to wait 4 weeks for one because the supplier of ranges ran out of them. It wasn't the end of the world.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #3

The problem as I see it is that these manufacturers make way too many models with way too many options. We americans are spoiled by so many choices. If you turned the clock back 40 years Winnebago probably made about 4 or 5 models. Now we go to Lazy Days RV and it would take a week to walk through their inventory and we still wouldn't find the perfect RV. So we buy one and next year they are all new and we are chins drop with the latest features.
preceptjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #4

norty1

I'm disappointed because 1) I don't have a trailer at this time and most of the season will be over by the time it arrives and 2) I'm sure the build date didn't change yesterday. We were promised weekly updates and while I really didn't expect them, I did expect to be notified if the date was pushed back.

With no word that the build date had changed we made plans for a trip mid-July. Now we'll be staying in a hotel.

Like I said... disappointed. I never said it was the end of the world.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:39 AM   #5

I understand your disappointment. From the way I understand the process, Jayco builds units in batches. If they have 20 orders for a specific trailer, they build that model first. If only 2 people made orders for your trailer model, that gets pushed back until they have a larger demand. I imagine its more expensive and slower to constantly switch back and forth between models on the assembly line.

Frustrating is an understatement, but remember they are in the business of making money. If they can satisfy those 20 customers and get paid for those 20 units, that takes precedence over the 2 customers and being paid for 2 units.

All that being said, we ordered our trailer in FEBRUARY, because we know that busy season is in the summer. A 6 week delay wouldn't have affected us very much. When you buy in the busy season, delays get longer.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:49 AM   #6

Sounds like a dealer mess up to me.... JMO

If the dealer missed the order cut off date it will end up in the next production run. As spoon059 said they make X number of units in each model run.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I don't understand your disappointment. Was some promise made. Not to make light of it but what difference does it really make over the long haul?

I had to wait 4 weeks for one because the supplier of ranges ran out of them. It wasn't the end of the world.
I find this statement confusing. Would you not be disappointed if your brand new 20k + camper was going to be months later than planned? That is 6 weeks of Summertime camping that will be missed out on, especially if OP lives in an area with cold winters.
Jm9301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #8

I might also add Jayco shuts down for a week or so in the summer. My X23B was built right before their shut down.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:40 AM   #9

Extremely Disappointed...

How far out did the dealer tell you initially? My dealer said 10-12 weeks to be built and another 1-2 weeks to make it to the dealer. My sales lady made it clear each time I contacted her for updates, that no specific delivery date was guaranteed. If your dealer didn't make it clear that a specific build date can't be guaranteed, your issue is with the dealer and not Jayco.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon059 View Post
I understand your disappointment. From the way I understand the process, Jayco builds units in batches. If they have 20 orders for a specific trailer, they build that model first. If only 2 people made orders for your trailer model, that gets pushed back until they have a larger demand. I imagine its more expensive and slower to constantly switch back and forth between models on the assembly line.

Frustrating is an understatement, but remember they are in the business of making money. If they can satisfy those 20 customers and get paid for those 20 units, that takes precedence over the 2 customers and being paid for 2 units.

All that being said, we ordered our trailer in FEBRUARY, because we know that busy season is in the summer. A 6 week delay wouldn't have affected us very much. When you buy in the busy season, delays get longer.
I'm not sure that is true. When we toured two of the factories no two units were the same. We toured the Jay flight TT line and the 5er line. Different models, sizes etc were on the line next to each other.

I would suspect is has more to due with the Just In Time mfg that almost all mfg use. Most likely a key component was not available and the unit got pushed back. Could be something happened at a plant producing products for them and they had little warning. If a range is made today, it's shipped to a customer in the next few days. IF a fire or other emergency happened they may of only had a few days notice that materials due would not be able to be delivered. Upsetting but, just the way all mfg operate today. Unlike the auto industry with deep supply lines, much of the RV industry is shallow.

Upsetting for sure, but I doubt it's anything Jayco would want, and I doubt it was done to push someone ahead of you.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #11

Being a sales guy and having worked with manufacturers for most of my career, I suspect two possible reasons.

1. As spoon059 noted, they may have not have enough orders for that particular model to make it financially viable to start production.

2. Most manufacturers operate on what they call an on-time inventory. That means they don't warehouse a bunch of parts and components. Instead, they plan when they are going to need something and schedule it to arrive at that time. What often happens is the supplier of, let's say stoves for example, doesn't deliver on time for whatever reason. Then everything backs everything up. And it's not unusual to find out that sort of information at the last minute.

Though the dealer could have reached out to you to tell he doesn't have an update, my bet is he was trying diligently to get you an answer but he wasn't hearing anything either. Then when he did, he had to deliver bad news, which is never fun.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Sounds like a dealer mess up to me.... JMO

If the dealer missed the order cut off date it will end up in the next production run. As spoon059 said they make X number of units in each model run.
I wonder if the dealer "forgot" to place the order????
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #13

Should've ordered it earlier to avoid this kind of problem. Hate to say it, but sometime we have to look out for ourselves. Last person I want to believe is an RV sales person.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 04:13 PM   #14

I just checked with a contact and was told, which is also what I saw, Jayco does not batch orders. They have I believe 5 plants, one for each brand/type of unit. They run all models of that line, (Ie Jayflight) on the same line, one at a time. You can have a 17' model and 33' model next to each other. They do not produce 10 or 20 of a model and then move on to another. They make what is ordered. Are there issues getting materials, I'm told yes, with the number of units ALL rv mfg are making some products are running tight. When I was in the plant, I only saw 3 or 4 days worth of Frigs, stoves, etc in stock. it's how most all industries run today.

It's easy to say Jayco did it cause they didn't have enough orders and made more money where they could batch units. There is no savings in batching. If there were, then all Red cars would be made one day, blue ones the next etc, it's not how it happens. Within a line, most items are the same, Frig, AC, stove etc...and it's easy to produce a larger kitchen and the next kitchen is smaller. Components are not made on the line, they are made off line and fed in as needed.

I have no idea why this unit was push backed, but I doubt it is because they choose to do it. Dealer fault, JIT fault, who knows....

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

Maybe all of the reports of shotty workmanship has caused more oversite for the finished product. Lets hope so.
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I just checked with a contact and was told, which is also what I saw, Jayco does not batch orders. They have I believe 5 plants, one for each brand/type of unit.
I hate to say it but that is only partially correct. They batch by model. JAYFLIGHT, EAGLE, WHITEHAWK, JAYFLIGHT SLX, JAYFLIGHT BUNGALOW etc. The same for FW, they run PINNACLES then NORTHPOINTS then DESIGNER. You will not see those units being run side by side.

Yes they run various sizes together, but not various models.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #17

Hopefully the delay's caused by a much improved quality control .......

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
I just checked with a contact and was told, which is also what I saw, Jayco does not batch orders.
I know better than to argue with a Marine, just speaking from my experience. My in-laws ordered a Jayco this winter. They were originally told 8-10 weeks to expect delivery. They got a call about 4 weeks later that there camper was shipping. The dealer said that they had several orders for that specific model, so they ran that line earlier than they expected too. Because they made them earlier, my in-laws got their camper about a month earlier than they thought.

This is what I am basing my opinion on. Maybe their dealer misspoke, I don't know...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
I might also add Jayco shuts down for a week or so in the summer. My X23B was built right before their shut down.
Jayco shuts down the first 2 weeks of July. I know this for a fact. A friend of mine works there.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:25 PM   #20

Well I think they set certain times to run models based on when they get frames and other key components and make runs of at least a few of a model in s time frame but we saw them building a number of different models of eagles when we were at the plant for a tour so I know for fact they don't run 10 338rets then 22 fifth wheel eagle ht or so in order ... we ordered ours in late January and in april it came into dealer wrong with the wrong interior ... so they found one being built for dealer stock that was close to what we ordered and made a few pink slip changes to it to get it for us by the end of may and then it still came in wrong but with a couple of dealer changes acceptable to us .... you just never know why times change or options for that matter