Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

Fabric Window Shade Repair

Our shades are loosening up and need tightened. Can anyone tell me how to remove valance and side pieces that enclose them. Also screws are coming loose and must have stripped out the holes where they're screwed into. We have a 2010 Jayflight 25RKS G2. Not happy with quality of the way they're wearing out.
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #2

Hello Brad et al.,

Not quite sure what you're referring to with your window shade problem, but if it has to do with the strings that get loose / frayed over time in a pleated window shade, there are a number of "how to" videos on You Tube on how to repair a window shade string.

Hope this helps. I just did it, and found it was quite easy...hardest part was finding good quality string!

Richard
DocRuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will check out YouTube.
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Depending on the size of the window where the blinds need to be restrung, there are 2 and up to 4 screws underneath to the valance. There are also L brackets that attach the valance to the wall. We purchased a repair kit from http://www.rvblindrepair.com/DBM_Rebuild_Kit.htm It was very easy to do and it was like new. Because it was the our first repair of this kind we took our time which is was about an hour. As far as the screws being stripped in the wall you can glue the plastic screw covers in the hole in the wall and put the screws back in.

Good luck with the repair.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #5

The valence over the dining table fell off on our last trip and I was disappointed to see how flimsy the attachment system was. Only one small screw in the ceiling which couldn't bear any weight, just a bit of stablilizing I guess. Tine screws in the two wall brackets, which pulled out of course. The kit mentioned above may help a lot. My fix isn't likely to hold much longer. If the fabric wasn't in the way, I would have glued it to the ceiling and wall.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #6

I'm not sure how to explain the guts of these blinds. But they contain a spring that keeps tension on the strings. I repaired one of ours last year. to tighten the spring you have to rotate the buttons screwed into the wall below the pleated blind. By doing this it puts more tension on the spring. You may also have to actually cutoff some of the string. The valance is a pain, I had to stand on my head to get it off, whenever I have hat a stripped screw, or install something in any of my campers out come the plastic anchors.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #7

I'm in Alaska with no close at hand RV repair facility, and the clear plastic spool broke between the 2 holes the string is threaded through. The repair was easy- drilled 2 very small holes on the opposite side of the spool and re-tied the string. And yes, the YouTube repair videos are great! Thanks to the authors/directors/producers!

But getting that dadgum black valance rehung was a PITA! What I really needed was a phillips screwdriver with an 18" shank to be able to reach the screw holes found underneath the valance. It took me 3 times longer to hang just that valance then it did to disassemble the blind (string had pulled through several of the pleats), make the repair, and put it all back together. And since the blind hangs from the valance, and I didn't see any easier way of screwing the valance up first and then reattaching the blind to underneath the valance...well, it looked and was a lose/lose proposition.

For as much as a Pinnacle costs, for a few $s more they could have made a more repair-friendly window blind/valance system.
The blinds are great. Give Jayco and A+.
The hanging system is terrible. Give Jayco an F.

I probably should add this to the forum thread on "what would you have Jayco change or do differently". (Sorry, can't remember the exact title.)

Whew...venting just lowered my blood pressure.

'06 2500 Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ Diesel, Firestone air bags
'08 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
'12 Pinnacle 31RLTS
taviking22 is offline   Reply With Quote