Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #1

Factory quality observation

As I posted on another thread I have factory ordered a 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW. 8-10 week delivery. The DW and I decided to go to the dealer and take some measurements and take a look at the floor plan again.

We looked at a in stock unit that wasn't sold. I don't know if this unit was delivered using the Santa Fe trail or what. In the bedroom the left side cabinet next to the bed was separating from the front wall and ceiling by at least 1/2" or more.

Not a good sign on build quality. I'm sure all manufacturers use the build them and get them out now philosophy. Glad there is a 2 year Jayco warranty for any future issues.

Other little issues such as not plumb trim, gauges, etc. I guess it's just typical how we build them now. Maybe I'm to picking on things I spend a lot of money on. It seems the quality control before leaving the factory is at the very minimum.
It seems it would be more cost effective to fix issues before leaving the factory than pay a dealer to do the work.

I'm talking about visible things I can see and should be fixed then. Just curious on how many issues you had upon taking delivery of your new Jayco TT. Wireman

Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to Rob Church
My experience, while limited to two previous trailers and suggestion...

Yes the quality is not that of mass produced cars/trucks due to the nature of the RVs being made mostly by hand. Add that we bounce these units down the road and should expect some fit issues in addition to noticing more finishing as we spend more time staring at the walls.

I owned two Keystone / Dutchman products before purchasing my Eagle and can attest that the two year warranty is a blessing.

IMHO, it is best to take an active role working with both the dealer and manufacturer.

My experience in dealing with warranty long after its expiration is in;
- showing the problem and (very importantly) a recurring problem by creating detailed documentation with pictures, showing the issue and detailing what you think is wrong and the expected resolution
- time sensitivity sharing documentation with the dealer and manufacturer
- being professional in ALL forms of communication; written, verbal, in person...

Rob Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post

We looked at a in stock unit that wasn't sold. I don't know if this unit was delivered using the Santa Fe trail or what. In the bedroom the left side cabinet next to the bed was separating from the front wall and ceiling by at least 1/2" or more.
I mentioned this once before. One day we saw two units (non JAYCO) that were being delivered and the drivers were flying, hit a bump on the X-way and all four tires on both units came off the ground.

With that said, the dealer you went to should have gone over and fixed that unit before ever putting it on display.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #4

Grumpy, I was shocked to see it on display also. With such a visual problem the dealer sure isn't projecting an image of being proactive. I know this unit has been on the lot for at least a month.

My walk through will be very detailed when that time comes. Has anyone had any serious issues structurely on their TT in the first 6 months or so. Wireman
Old 01-03-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

This past fall prior to ordering our Jayco, the wife and I made an appointment to look at a Keystone Springdale 38FL at a dealership in RI. I couldn't believe the condition of this thing. Doors hanging crooked, screen door literally being held to the rv by one screw (all the rest were missing). Power outlet covers on the floor, warped trim throughout. Huh? And I'm going to do business with this place? I don't think so. I gave them a 4 day notice of coming to see the trailer and they made no effort to check it to be sure it was presentable. I can only imagine the quality of service they provide.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 PM   #6

My 2016 23mbh took me a total of two weeks worth of working evenings to correct all the problems and I still have a few more to fix. I wouldn't let the dealer touch it as I saw some of the "punchlist" work they did on our trailer and it was very poor.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:40 AM   #7

This was our first trailer purchase and first walk through on purchase. Looking back I sure would have taken more time on it but have to say our trailer was in pretty good shape. Had a few minor issues but looked after them myself as I need to get to know it. The dealership where we bought it has a fantastic parts/service department which is not far from our home.
Harreec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #8

I don't really expect it to be perfect upon delivery, but what annoys me is things that could be corrected using a level instead of the "eyeball" method when built. A little extra time to position them.

On another 23RLSW on a dealers lot, the bathroom door was sticking out at the bottom almost 1/2" and flush with the jamb at the top when closed. I guess I notice more things when looking at a unit, not the bling but quality of build.

I've noticed this stuff on $200K motorhomes as well so it's not just a Jayco issue.

I don't know if the workers are paid by piece work, but it may be a industry wide process that causes a lot of quality issues.

Like I said before, I'm baffled by some of the things I see on these new TT when delivered.

Off my soapbox on quality. I'll deal with my unit when delivered and will enjoy hitting the road again after a 8 month period of non camping. Wireman
Old 01-04-2016, 09:07 AM   #9

Ugh.. not to reassuring. My new unit is scheduled to roll of the line this Friday.
I hope they take a bit of time and do things right.
jloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I don't agree with either of these comments as they don't get to the heart of the problem:
"I guess it's just typical how we build them now."
"the quality is not that of mass produced cars/trucks due to the nature of the RVs being made mostly by hand."
------------------------
My thoughts are that from day one the RV industry has been able to avoid coming under the Lemon Laws. Until that changes, the industry will not take the big step of implementing a real quality control system and the dealers will get away with having long repair lines and long fixit times.

(As one owner told me about his trips to mfg, the mfg lines just keep moving, regardless)

So, yes, the owners are the quality control system and the owners are only as good as their motivation to upskill themselves if they are to do their own warranty work and inspections.

Unfortunately, many owners have the mentality of car owners where their cars are subject to the lemon laws and they are use to getting a quick response from car dealer, with some exception. So, understandably, they buy new with warranties thinking that is the way to go to have minimal problems. Well, some get lucky and some suffer severe headaches, with no recourse.

Of course, the better the mfg and dealer, the more they are willing, by their choice, to be better within limits that they set knowing the history and environment they live in full well.

RV means repair vehicle daily. A dream is not reality.

Actually, the more savvy owners have a special edge - it is called preventative maintenance. Like once a year checking all their electrical connections, like grounds for an example, to make sure they are all clean, dry, and tight after all the bouncing around and various conditions. Taking the time to learn about their batteries and how to keep them charged. Understanding they need to own power protection devices to ward off the sins of bad pedestals. Etc. Etc. Making good use of training materials, including internet videos, and mfg information.

I did not mention the forums only because for as much good information one gets, one also gets the opposite, and the less you know the harder it is to sort out..being both a problem of the original posters questions and the responders answers, with a lot of assumptions and misperceptions getting in the way.

RodgerS is offline   Reply With Quote