Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-04-2023, 07:41 AM   #1

Factory Step Removal

We have a 2020 SLX8 284BHS and we have installed the Mor-Ride steps. I would like to remove the factory steps to make the outside alittle cleaner looking and remove the steps from hanging down. Has anyone remove theirs and what could be put in that area? I was thinking of trying to find a piece of the side skirting to replace the two pieces with one and make it cover the step opening.
ChrisLoftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:57 AM   #2

If you choose to remove the factory steps, they do make a storage box to go in their place. More outside storage is always a good thing.

https://www.morryde.com/products/step-storage-box/

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:10 AM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like a good idea, my question of anyone that has one is:

How do you get into it when the steps are down?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 01:09 PM   #4

You can’t get in it when steps are down, had one on my last trailer. I used it to carry my leveling blocks in.
2018 Jayflight 28 RLS (traded)
langewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:45 PM   #5

X2 as Langewi said. Works great
Old 01-05-2023, 07:05 PM   #6

I guess I am the odd man out when it comes to the new steps that travel inside the trailer. What is the attraction and how are they better than the style that has been around for decades? The main question is how to you keep beach sand, dirt, mud and slushy snow from getting dumped on your floor? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Looks a lot harder to use, plus the increased chance for injuries when storing and deploying them.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
... The main question is how to you keep beach sand, dirt, mud and slushy snow from getting dumped on your floor? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Looks a lot harder to use, plus the increased chance for injuries when storing and deploying them.
I agree with "Route 66 Traveler". A few months back, I had to replace my "old style" folding steps. The replacement step cost $99 on Amazon. It took 4 bolts to remove the broken steps and I used the same 4 bolts to attach the new steps. Removal and installation took less than a half hour.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:38 PM   #8

And there is not room on my storage locker lot to swing them down.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
I guess I am the odd man out when it comes to the new steps that travel inside the trailer. What is the attraction and how are they better than the style that has been around for decades? The main question is how to you keep beach sand, dirt, mud and slushy snow from getting dumped on your floor? Doesn’t make any sense to me. Looks a lot harder to use, plus the increased chance for injuries when storing and deploying them.
Oh no, you are not the odd man out! I totally agree. I have them and I am not a fan of them. I'll add more... Having to adjust at nearly every stop, foot length adjustment pins sticking out and catching on door frame, no room to deploy in tight spaces. Yes, there are pinch points for fingers, and they will also bend your door and / or screen if you're not paying attention. If your rv is leaning curbside the steps lean out and make it harder to close the door, they cause rub marks on the door frame when travelling folded, you can't just throw something in your rv when in storage, the darn steps are in the way, plus other annoyances. I would change out my morryde steps to the pull out exterior steps in a minute if it was easily done.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:12 PM   #10

They work great for me. They are on the ground and you don't get the trailer bouncing around when walking up and down the stairs than stairs that are suspended off the ground . If there's a issue to something too close to deploy them or as I'd say simply open them ,you shouldn't have parked the rv in that spot.A minute wiping or sweeping them off keep dirt or snow or sand or hopfully not dog poop someone forgot to clean up on your shoe.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:45 PM   #11

I think the comment was about storage facility and getting in. There usually isn't much space between units being stored.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Oh no, you are not the odd man out! I totally agree. I have them and I am not a fan of them. I'll add more... Having to adjust at nearly every stop, foot length adjustment pins sticking out and catching on door frame, no room to deploy in tight spaces. Yes, there are pinch points for fingers, and they will also bend your door and / or screen if you're not paying attention. If your rv is leaning curbside the steps lean out and make it harder to close the door, they cause rub marks on the door frame when travelling folded, you can't just throw something in your rv when in storage, the darn steps are in the way, plus other annoyances. I would change out my morryde steps to the pull out exterior steps in a minute if it was easily done.
All those reasons are why I'd never want solid steps if I only had one entry door. I have 2 entry doors on my TT. Zero issues at stops or tight egresses.
The BIG plus is when setup in camp. They're much nicer than the wiggly foldouts. Quieter as well.
If I were to go back to a 5th wheel I'd be in your situation sans the storage parking. I probably wouldn't enjoy them as much.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 03:44 PM   #13

The one good reason we may change is the difference in clearance it makes. We bought a Baja edition specifically for the extra clearance. But the Baja has an extra stair to compensate and the folding stair cassette actually hangs down lower so you end up with less clearance at that point. We're going to run it through this year and see if it is a problem before we change but it does bug me to look at that low hanging basket.

The other issues about being wobbly don't even register with us. Maybe some kind of accordion steps might be a solution.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
You don't get the trailer bouncing around when walking up and down the stairs than stairs that are suspended off the ground
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
The other issues about being wobbly don't even register with us. Maybe some kind of accordion steps might be a solution.
Our trailer has a 3 step entry. We use this step support to eliminate all movement when going in and out of our trailer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #15

I got one of those and we use it 1.0 times. It didn't seem worth the effort and with four stabilizers down, the wobble didn't bother us. Now we have a three stair set and it still doesn't seem to be a problem.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:44 PM   #16

Route 66 Traveller, I’m with you. I have no use for steps that fold up inside the RV bringing in sand, dirt, and rain water. I however better figure it out because I have ordered a new Pinnacle and that is standard.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 06:07 PM   #17

I bought fold up steps thinking I would have to replace my factory steps when a weld broke. But I could not fold them down with it parked on the pad next to my house. I ended up sending it back, and fixing the weld on the steps.
Old 01-14-2023, 06:29 PM   #18

I installed this on my foldup steps. Very easy to adjust and made the step very solid.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tem%20-%20High
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 09:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I installed this on my foldup steps. Very easy to adjust and made the step very solid.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...tem%20-%20High
Wow, that is a cool product. Darn, forums can be expensive...

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:21 PM   #20

I changed ours out because the DW has neuropathy in her feet from diabetes & she hated the wobbly 3 step fold up ones! The new solid fold- ups have a built in handrail, as well as a large aftermarket grab handle on the trailer. First time she tried them out, there were tears in her eyes. Happy wife, happy camping!!! Sure, there are differences in the two, but its not a pita.