Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-22-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Fair price? Dealer wants $249 for axle maintenance on dual axial camper

Fair price? Dealer wants $249 for axle maintenance on dual axial camper. Or should i shop around?
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #2

I dunno, that sounds a little steep to me, so I'd shop around. I'd probably shop around anyway just to be sure it was a fair price.

Also, what's your dealer's reputation? Most dealers I wouldn't trust to wash my RV, let alone actually work on it.

Any chance you can do it yourself? Parts and supplies probably less than $50. Depending on how you do it, it could take 2 hours or so? Maybe? Depending on your currently existing skills, abilities and tools...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #3

Ive never had any work done at this dealer. its just the place we bought it from and we are going to drop it off in November an get all the broke stuff fixed we can under warranty. and i have never inspected or replaced wheel barrings so i don't even know what to be looking for.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
Ive never had any work done at this dealer. its just the place we bought it from and we are going to drop it off in November an get all the broke stuff fixed we can under warranty. and i have never inspected or replaced wheel barrings so i don't even know what to be looking for.
The job is not overly difficult if you have some mechanical knowledge. The axle manufacturer (most likely Dexter) will have instructions available on their website, and likely in the packet that came with your unit as well. And there's no shortage of Youtube video tutorials out there.

But I understand if you're not comfortable doing it, no judgement here. Sometimes I wish I respected my limits a little more. But I'm generally a pretty aggressive DIYer, which often bites me in the behind...

Anyway, unless your dealership has a good track record of service, I would have it done somewhere else. Like a shop that specializes in this kind of work. I have one dealership near me that I would mostly trust; they're not great, but they're not overly bad. But there are literally dozens of shops I would trust more than even that RV dealership for bearing/axle maintenance.

Some tire shops will do it (my local shop does, and they do a good job based on my own personal interactions with them), some suspension shops will do it, some trailer dealers (not travel trailers, but utility trailers) have a maintenance department and will do it.

I would only use an RV dealership as a last resort for anything other than warranty work, and only then because Jayco has specific requirements for warranty work.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure prices will very depending on region......, but if the $249 includes: both axles, clean & repack bearings, new seals (dual-lip preferred), check brake/drum wear, brake adjustment, inspect self-adjusters, check electric brake magnet function......., IMO $249 would be a good price.

I just paid $299 at my RV dealer and seems to be the average price in my area. I spoke with the tech that performed the work and was satisfied with the work involved and feedback. I also had prior positive interaction with the same service tech.

One question to ask is how they intend to jack/support the TT off the ground when preforming the work......., if they say off the axle tubes walk away.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I'm sure prices will very depending on region......, but if the $249 includes: both axles, clean & repack bearings, new seals (dual-lip preferred), check brake/drum wear, brake adjustment, inspect self-adjusters, check electric brake magnet function......., IMO $249 would be a good price.

I just paid $299 at my RV dealer and seems to be the average price in my area. I spoke with the tech that performed the work and was satisfied with the work involved and feedback. I also had prior positive interaction with the same service tech.

One question to ask is how they intend to jack/support the TT off the ground when preforming the work......., if they say off the axle tubes walk away.

Bob
where do you jack a camper up at? if i could talk myself into trying it i would use this tire changing ramp thing i bought a while back you drive one wheel up on it and the other one comes off the ground.

this is what they are suppose to do.

https://www.summitrv.com/rv-service

Name:  wheelbearing.png
Views: 405
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 08-22-2019, 02:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Fair price?
I don't think that is unreasonable. In my area I pay $40 per hub to repack bearings. If you shop around, I would recommend shopping for a good referral on the quality of the work.

Like others said, it's not difficult work. If you are mechanical at all and can watch a youtube video, you can do the maintenance yourself for the cost of a tube of grease and couple grease seals.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

My distrust of dealers runs deep.

IF...I was going to have them do it, I'd want to know specifically what they were going to do. Remove the bearings and repack them or just blast new grease in. And, how do you know what they really did?

As others have said, it's not a real big job to do yourself. And, don't you really want to have the tools you need to change a tire with you at all times?

Here's what I carry:

Bottle jack...happens to be good for 16 tons. Inexpensive and reliable. Not hard to find the point on the frame where you should use it.

Torque wrench. You don't need an expensive one. Mine is just the "bar" type that I bought in 1972. Also serves as a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. Good luck without one. And, of course, it allows me to torque the lug nuts properly to complete the job.

Boards. I have a number of 6x6x1.5" pressure treated boards that I use for general leveling, etc. on the trailer. They provide a good, elevated base for the bottle jack.

Chocks. Of course.

Jack Stand. You ought to have a pair to slip under the frame once you have the trailer in the air. Never trust hydraulics, right?
NOTE: I don't carry the jack stand with us when we travel, but I use them at home when I work on the trailer. If I need to use the bottle jack when I'm on the road, I'll just make damn sure I don't put any body parts under the trailer in case the jack fails. Although in 30 years, it never has.

Air compressor. How could you travel without one? We use an AC compressor, and have our generator in the back of the truck. Or, you could use a 12v compressor. I'll confess that I don't maintain the spare at operating pressure, so part of getting the job done would be to add air.

That's it. It's almost all stuff you should have on your rig anyway. Being able to get your rig in the air is just one more thing you don't have to worry about on the road.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
where do you jack a camper up at?.......
Ideally the frame, both jack & safety jack stand. My RV dealer used the frame, and I did the same back-in-the-day.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:52 PM   #10

I took my trailer to a Truck/Trailer place for state inspection and they charged me $175.00 for both axles, clean & repack bearings (by hand using a bearing repacking can), new dual-lip rear seals , check brake/drum wear, brake adjustment, inspect self-adjusters, check electric brake magnet function. I didn't think that was too bad..

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

sheesh... I must be doing it all wrong.

I just looked at the invoice from August of 2017 where I paid $800 for all new drums, backing plates, bearings, seals, shoes, springs and the misc stuff that all works... on all four wheels.

I do this every 4 years, and a repack every other year with bearing buddy hubs.

The package that the dealer wants $249 is meant to get you in the door, and tear your stuff apart and then call you and say that you need another $500 in parts/labor to fix a broken spring... and you still have the same old bearings, brake shoes and drums...

Google this: Southwest Wheel 7,000 lbs. Trailer Axle Self Adjusting Electric Brake Kit. Amazon charges more than the dealers buy this stuff for... less than 200 / axle. And the shop makes 400 in labor for less work. They will love you for it!
Attached Thumbnails
Brake kit.JPG  
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
I agree Rustic Eagle.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #13

I think it's a fair price.

My selling dealer charges:

Single Axle - $182.00

Double Axle - $364.00

Triple Axle - $546.00

Bearing Packs Include:

Inspect brake shoes, bearings, and magnets Clean and repack wheel bearings Adjust brake linings as needed (additional fee) Verify the operation of the electric brake magnets and brake-away switch Grease seals are extra, prices vary by axle size.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:58 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
sheesh... I must be doing it all wrong.

I just looked at the invoice from August of 2017 where I paid $800 for all new drums, backing plates, bearings, seals, shoes, springs and the misc stuff that all works... on all four wheels.

I do this every 4 years, and a repack every other year with bearing buddy hubs.

The package that the dealer wants $249 is meant to get you in the door, and tear your stuff apart and then call you and say that you need another $500 in parts/labor to fix a broken spring... and you still have the same old bearings, brake shoes and drums...

Google this: Southwest Wheel 7,000 lbs. Trailer Axle Self Adjusting Electric Brake Kit. Amazon charges more than the dealers buy this stuff for... less than 200 / axle. And the shop makes 400 in labor for less work. They will love you for it!
Now I can post the link... https://www.amazon.com/Southwest-Whe.../dp/B014VEN214

Most of you don't have this heavy duty axle on your trailers... those with big 5-er's might. The lighter duty axles cost even less...
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
I think it's a fair price.
Agreed.

The place I use charges $40 per wheel which is about as inexpensive as I've seen - and they do good work. They are an old school brake and alignment shop that work on almost anything with wheels.

Just for grins I called a nearby RV repair shop and they wanted $98 per wheel plus seals and shop supplies. Yikes.
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:47 AM   #16

Jack up the trailer on the frame. Read the other posts. Do not forget to chock your wheels on the other side and watch to assure your tongue jack does not come off the blocks.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:01 PM   #17

My dealer charges $200 for a complete repack etc. I get this done every 2 years along with roof reasealing. The TT is stored inside when not in use and is towed about 4,000 miles a year.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 11:52 PM   #18

That price seems about right to me.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:33 PM   #19

What is axle maintenance? Are you referring to bearings and brakes?
rhodesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 01:37 PM   #20

Wow.....Now I see why I do my own work.....Packing bearings is a piece of cake.
rhodesd is offline   Reply With Quote