Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Fan in frig

What is anyone else opinion on installing a Frig fan? I thought it might help on wear and tear on my frig, also keep it cooler and I should be able to turn the temp down. Or am I waisting my time.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #2

If you get a good one, they are awesome! I have a dual fan setup that blows quite a bit of air and made a huge difference. I was really struggling when it was in the 90s to keep mine cold....put this baby in and I can now keep popsicles in the freezer. The upper fridge was in the mid 30s and the lower in the mod 40s.

I will paste the link below to where I got mine, but be warned - it does take some install work on the newer Norcolds. Not bad, but I had to snake a very thin wire down the drain tube, around the fridge wiring and down to the fuse load center. Anyone who likes to tinker should have no trouble installing it.

Not sure it would save much on wear and tear, but as a side benefit it gets rids of most of the frost on the rear cooling fins.

Ebay Fan

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:40 AM   #3

A fridge fan is a great mod and worth the time. Like above my previous trailer had trouble keeping up in the hot weather. I too was worried about the food keeping. The fan brought the temp down 8 degrees to where it was suppose to be.

Another time I notice that the thermister came loose from the holding unit and the fridge temperature started going haywire. I was just lucky I noticed it. I understand how the fridge works but my troubleshooting skills were limited when it comes to fixing them. Once the unit was back in place everything worked.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
What is anyone else opinion on installing a Frig fan? I thought it might help on wear and tear on my frig, also keep it cooler and I should be able to turn the temp down. Or am I waisting my time.
Its funny you mention about the fan in fridge.I just used my 330rlts for a first good run over the forth of July holiday and my fan in fridge started making a hell of a racket.I was able to look up behind refridge to see problem but nothing I could do while on vacation.I have to take unit back to dealer this Thursday.I did notice it does get quite hot behind refridge and maybe another fan would cool it down the temperature so the food in the side pantry closet doesn`t feel warm also.
novaplum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:24 AM   #5

they sell the lil cheapy ones at rv parts stores,..i do think it helps.
jwb023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #6

I have a dual fan inside and it makes all the difference in the world
it also helps keep ice build up off the cooling fins which increases cooling
i also put a fan inside the service door(outside) when it reaches 100F
it comes on this moves the heat up and outside which helps on hot days
all thes mods are worth the effort and cost
i can get the fridge to freeze bottle watter over night
hmoore01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #7

For you guys that have also installed and outside fridge fan - did you find it helped that significantly? I have always heard that the inside one is the big help and the outside one didnt do all that much - have you found this to be true or did the outside one really help?

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 AM   #8

I also have the dual frig fan, it works great inside the frig. The trailer (330rlts) came from the factory with a coil fan to cool the outside coils on the backside of the frig. It works off of a trermostat.
Reese straight line dual cam
17k wd hitch
2005 GMC diesel
Crew cab long bed
:Flag:
bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't incorporated a frig fan mod yet (interior or exterior), but friends that have swear by them. IMO if you have a frig that is part of a slide (no outside roof vent) then I think an interior frig fan would be advantageous.

Also, if your frig "exterior wall" isn't protected from the sun by your awning, then I would recommend an exterior vent fan.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #10

what exterior fridge fan have you found to be the best one to purchase i have looked at some solar ones
2012 f250 diesel

mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
Site Team

I just installed this one:http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2.../dp/B002N5YDG2
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #12

Hey Norty - does that Valterra have a thermal cut on/off so it does not run 24x7? Also - where did you install it, at the bottom or from the top?

Old 07-18-2011, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
If you get a good one, they are awesome! I have a dual fan setup that blows quite a bit of air and made a huge difference. I was really struggling when it was in the 90s to keep mine cold....put this baby in and I can now keep popsicles in the freezer. The upper fridge was in the mid 30s and the lower in the mod 40s.

I will paste the link below to where I got mine, but be warned - it does take some install work on the newer Norcolds. Not bad, but I had to snake a very thin wire down the drain tube, around the fridge wiring and down to the fuse load center. Anyone who likes to tinker should have no trouble installing it.

Not sure it would save much on wear and tear, but as a side benefit it gets rids of most of the frost on the rear cooling fins.

Ebay Fan
Yep thats the one I ordered this weekend and by all the recommendations it sounds like it can do nothing but help my frig. My Frig does have a built in exterior cooling fan but this interior cooling fan does look like a good investment.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #14

We have a very small battery operated fan which we bought at an RV store and it works great. The fridge is nice and cold and the temperature is even throughout. I think it cost us about $15 Canadian.
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDiane View Post
We have a very small battery operated fan which we bought at an RV store and it works great. The fridge is nice and cold and the temperature is even throughout. I think it cost us about $15 Canadian.
Before we got this battery operated fan, we tried to order the ebay fan recommended by tafisch. We found this ebay vendor would not sell outside USA, so we were disappointed. The one we got seems to work just fine though.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
Hey Norty - does that Valterra have a thermal cut on/off so it does not run 24x7? Also - where did you install it, at the bottom or from the top?
Yes, its supposed to come on when the ambient air is 80 and the thermal switch on the heat tube reaches 100 deg. I installed it blowing upward.

Here is a shot of the completed installation: I powered it from the same 12v source as the fridge, so it does not have voltage when the fridge is off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0493.jpg  
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Yes, its supposed to come on when the ambient air is 80 and the thermal switch on the heat tube reaches 100 deg. I installed it blowing upward.

Here is a shot of the completed installation: I powered it from the same 12v source as the fridge, so it does not have voltage when the fridge is off.
I like that - I have been looking for one that fits in that small space and that look promising. I had a computer fan I was trying to rig up, but it was just too big. For the money I think I might try it. Thanks for the link!

Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
snip.......Here is a shot of the completed installation: I powered it from the same 12v source as the fridge, so it does not have voltage when the fridge is off.
Norty1,

That's a slick installation, compact as well . If you get a chance you may want to post your fan mod with some pics/details, etc., over in the "Jayco Mods" forum so it can be easily found by members.

I might just consider the fan as a future mod as well, especially considering that extended desert camping is on my bucket list.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #19

Were do you hook up the wire to 12v in the back of the frig?
habu33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yddad45 View Post
Yep thats the one I ordered this weekend and by all the recommendations it sounds like it can do nothing but help my frig. My Frig does have a built in exterior cooling fan but this interior cooling fan does look like a good investment.
Ok Guys, I just installed the inside dual frig cooling fans I got of Ebay. Tell me am I expecting to much, when I put my hand in front of the cooling fans I can't feel alot of air flow. Tell me am I expecting to much out of these little frig fans? Oh by the way the install was very easy it might have taken maybe 10 min to get power to them.