Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #1

Smile Fantastic Fan and Generator

Hi,

We just sold our 17' Casita and purchased a Jayco 19RD. We are excited and really like the floorplan - just finished our maiden "voyage" of 4 days. We would very much appreciate knowing if anyone out there with the same floor plan has been able to install a Fantastic Fan anywhere besides the existing opening in the bathroom? We have the windows that only open at the bottom and it gets pretty warm in there when cooking...also if it is just a hot day. We mostly dry camp so do not usually have a hookup to run the A/C. We had the dealer install the FF in the bathroom as Camping World said that was the only option. However, Jayco customer service just told me they think there is a spot over the bed area...but she didn't seem certain. We are several hours from a dealer, so wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this. We have also discovered that our new Yamaha 2000 doesn't work for the Jayco. Help anyone?

snowwillow51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #2

1) On what's overhead of the bed - The only way I can think to corroborate this is by knowing if there was an option for a vent, fan, or AC unit in that location. Otherwise, you confirm with Jayco... Personally I'd want specific instructions on the exact location before trying to open up the roof.

2) "We have also discovered that our new Yamaha 2000 doesn't work for the Jayco" - What does that mean exactly? The Yamaha 2000 is rated to 16.7 Amps, which is probably very very close to the peak amperage of starting your AC. Starting the AC in combination with anything else, such as the refrigerator or the battery charger will probably result in over-taxing the unit and set the circuit breaker. Is that what is happening? It should work just fine with everything except AC.. Or maybe not with the microwave and battery charger.

cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM   #3

1) Are there any other ceiling vents besides the one in the bathroom?
2) What sort of issue are you having with the Yamaha 2000?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #4

Fantastic Fan and Generator

Thanks for your reply - I was surprised that the customer service could tell me that inside the ceiling over the bed there was an area blocked for something, but she didn't know what and I should contact a dealer. I just did so, but found out that unless I bought the Jayco there no one will work on it. That means driving 4 hours to Denver...a fact we were unaware of when we bought the trailer at Camping World in Salt Lake City. They drop you like a hot potato once you drive off the lot. I don't think we will mess with the ceiling unless we find a dealer who can get permission from Jayco. In the meantime, we will just use a portable fan that hooks into the 12 Volt/DC outlet.
That is good info on the generator - thank you. My husband hooked up the generator and then tried the microwave and the A/C - I think it did throw something on the A/C as it quit working. From what you said, it seems that we can hook it up to at least plug in a computer, charge a phone or run a fan?

Thanks so much!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #5

I was really hoping the 2000 Yamaha would charge the batteries for dry camping!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwillow51 View Post
Wooooo there pardner. The Yam 2000 or the ever popular Honda 200i will both power anything in your camper expect the AC. Some people have been able to power up the AC with a 2000 but that is really not enough output. Don't underestimate what you can do with the Yam 2000. I'm a Honda owner, but by all account the Yam 2000 will get it done too. You can power up a battery charger, run the microwave, the TV/sat receiver and as many fans as you want. Make sure your water heater is on gas and not electric. The microwave is a power hog, so you may need to power down the charger and a few other things when it is running. Where are you guys getting your info about generators??

As for the roof vent and installing a fantastic fan; I would not mess with cutting another hole in the roof. That is almost never a good idea. Just replace the existing stink fan/vent with a FF. They come from the basic exhaust all the way to In/out, a tstat, and even a remote. I installed the basic exhaust fan in my new White Hawk [in the bathroom opening] as my experience with my previous TT was that I almost always [99% of the time] ran the fan pulling air out thru the roof vent and selectively opened windows where I wanted the inflow of fresh air. You can cool the main salon during the evening or while cooking and the bedroom at night.

You might want to direct your ??'s to this forum rather than where ever you have been getting advice up to this point. There are experts on just about everything camping related [or at least we think we are] and some of us [myself included] have already done pretty much all the dumb stuff and can help you avoid them.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:29 PM   #7

Just reread your original post and see that you already have a FF in the existing roof opening. So just put it in the exhaust setting [air out] and open and close windows based on the part of the TT you are using at the time. Don't open all the windows or just crack them a little in the bedroom until about an hour before going to bed. When you do that close or crack the front room windows. Think you'll be surprised how quickly you can cool things down once the sun sets. PSon't set up in the sun if you can avoid it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowwillow51 View Post
As indicated above, it will. It's just not going to do so while running the AC or microwave. And it may not run the AC at all, depending on a few variables.

That generator if it is the ES2000i - can also charge a 12v battery directly, without going through your converter (charger). Refer to the manual.

To run the AC and charger - or AC and microwave, you're probably needing at least 3500-4000 watts. To do the AC, I plan on a 3000 watt generator minimum...

Note, your fridge may switch to electric if you use the generator and is set to automatic, so you may be powering more than you think...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #9

Wink Fantastic Fan and Generator

Thanks everyone! I am very glad I found this blog as there are so many things we don't know about trailers. The Casita was easier, but we really like the room and features of our new 19 RD - I'm going out right now to finish packing for our trip tomorrow - yippee.

I think I get it about the generator now - we will be sure the refrigerator and the hot water heater are on gas and we will not turn on the A/C. At least we will be able to do the other things you all mentioned.

I'm sure I'll more questions when we get back from this trip - thanks so much for taking the time to answer!
Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Yamaha EF 2400iSCH and it runs my 13.5 A/C just fine in concert with the other standard devices, but not using the Micro at the same time.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote