Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #1

Feather 23B Grey Water Tank Questions

I'm a newbie and have tried searching the forums for the questions below and didn't find anything but if I missed something, I apologize in advance.

We have a Jayco 2004 Feather 23B that we have taken out once for four days, and will be taking out for our first week trip.

As seems to be the case with many holding tanks, our sensors seem to be stuck or incorrect on all of our tanks. Fresh water is no problem, I can peer under the trailer and see how that's doing. Black water I can open up the toilet and look in with a flashlight. I've also heard that you can 'clean' the black water sensor by pouring some ice down there before a trip and let it slosh around during the drive.

My question is how to you see and clean the grey tank levels when the sensors aren't working. We keep it pretty light when it comes to usage. We shower in the camp showers and when we wash dishes, we dump the rinse water outside, so I wouldn't think we'd fill up the tank, but I'd rather not have any surprises. On our four day trip we had to add a few gallons of water using a funnel and 5-gallon jug, so I'm guessing I'll have to do the same with a couple of extra days on top (though I may not have filled it all the way, oops)

Is there any access to the grey tank where I could do the 'dumping ice' trick and/or be able to visually see the level? Any other tricks to cleaning the grey sensors? If it does fill, what happens? I'm assuming it would back up into the shower first?

Thanks to all for the help!
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #2

There are no access points that I know of to look at gray water tank to see level. and you are right if it gets full it will back up into the tub/shower. been there done that. I believe there chemicals that you can get like at Camping World that will clean the sensors
2004 Dodge 2500 CTD
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Site Team

Inaccurate sensors, including grey, is just something I have learned to live with. There are some quality level sensors on the market but they are a bit pricey.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #4

I used a few scoops of calgon water softener, and powdered laundry detergent. All sensors working pretty accurate for now anyways. I put that in grey and black before traveling in may.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 11:15 AM   #5

Purchased new 2023 Jayco 40Loft. Black Tank sensors jump from empty to 1/3 full to 2/3 full within a few days. I suspect sensors aren’t reading right. I flush black tank and also use a wand each timer I dump the black tank. Is there a way to check black tank level. Any advise would be appreciated
Bodeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:28 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodeen View Post
Purchased new 2023 Jayco 40Loft. Black Tank sensors jump from empty to 1/3 full to 2/3 full within a few days. I suspect sensors aren’t reading right. I flush black tank and also use a wand each timer I dump the black tank. Is there a way to check black tank level. Any advise would be appreciated
The black tanks are flat and wide. Paper can hang up on the cheap sensors and always keep them iffy on accuracy.

You can turn off the water and look directly into the tank if there are no turns in it and get some idea of the tank depth with a old stick. Yuch!

If the other gauges are flaky too, there could be a loose ground somewhere on the tank or in the wiring for the gauges.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote