Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2014, 11:06 PM   #1

fiberglass sidewalls with frameless windows option???

looking at the jayflights they have a fiberglass sidewalls with frameless windows as an option what benefits does this option offer probably a stupid question but I am new to RV'ing. Is the option worth the cost its pretty pricey?
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:32 AM   #2

Never a stupid question and I can only speak for the fiberglass siding and I wouldn't have anything else. Mine is a 2010 and it looks brand new. I wax twice a year and I only cover the roof in the winter.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #3

I have the aluminum sided Jay Flight and have only owned aluminum sided trailers. I wax mine atleast twice a year and never cover it in the winter and it looks like new.Hmmm. Myself I will not buy a smooth sided trailer until they put a life time warranty against delamination.With that said I think we can all agree that that will never happen. However the smoothside does look nice. In the end it boils down to preference.

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #4

I recall reading a post or two relating the frameless jalousie windows were easily damaged. That said, I do like the way they look.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 10:52 AM   #5

The frameless windows can break pretty easy if you extend them too far. I had one break on me and had to drill the rivits out and reattach the crank with a couple nuts and bolts. Dealer fixed it once I took it in...dealer also called me about a month later and said a customer was out camping and same thing happened to him. Ask me how I fixed mine so he could tell the customer.

If they break, you can't pull them unless you fix or remove the lower window. I don't care for them but I like the fiberglass sided trailers better so part of it.

Not had any other issues with them though and they look nice.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #6

Having owned both aluminum and fiberglass, I really have no strong preference.
I would not spend the extra money for that option.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #7

thanks for all the responses and shared experiences!
jkochmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:18 PM   #8

I have owned both outside materials also, one thing that come to mind is the yearly hail storms we get up here in Alberta, the Aluminum will not stand up to the stones like the fibreglass wall will, we had to repair 4 cars this summer and the neighbour lost his aluminum sided RV due to this,...as for the windows, more and more units are coming standard with frameless ones....looks nice anyways....
68 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 AM   #9

Nice car!

Adk Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:03 AM   #10

If you have frameless dual pane windows be prepared for a big repair cost when they get moisture between the panes. All dual pane windows will "leak" at some point in their life and the company in Hudson, FL that repairs them charges double for frameless windows vs standard frame windows. I don't care enough for the frameless "look" to pay for it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #11

With frameless whether DP or not at least you don't have to deal with caulking. One big plus IMO. Especially on some of the units out there that have lots of windows. Less to deal with if you need to remove one. No butyl and caulking to clean up and replace.
Of course all this is dependent on how well the windows were installed. I really hate the regular style. Very clunky to work. They may offer more ventilation since you can open them more. But I'll take the trade off on my next purchase and get the frameless.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:05 PM   #12

Quite the contrary on frameless not requiring some of what you mentioned, or possibly requiring maintenance. They mount the same way as a typical RV window with clamp ring. Most are dry fit windows with a d-seal, and you can read several threads on that here and other forums. That's why you won't see the top and sides perimeter sealed with caulking / sealant. They will leak in time, and a majority of them aren't exactly centered in the hole during installation, which will create a major problem. Best thing, remove, replace with butyl or double sided eternabond tape. Haven't done it yet, but will be removing all 9 of our windows, ditching the dry fit d-seal, and reinstalling centered in the hole, the old way.

I hate laminated walls, but have owned them. I'm not 100% sure the Jayflight side walls are truly laminated like the white hawk is. Mine still has the wood studs and batten insulation in the walls, and batten insulation isn't common to a laminated wall. I know the front and rear are, but haven't researched how Jayco does the Jayflight fiberglass sidewalls specifically. My preference is hung fiberglass such as the older mobile scouts and all cedar creeks have, but Jayco doesn't use that method. Frameless windows, haven't had a problem with them. There are pros and cons to them.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote