Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Talking Finally First Boondocking Trip Any Advice?

Alright, the Mrs. and I are doing our first boon docking trip to Tallulah River Campground in Rabun County Ga. I'll be using the Champion 3000 gen I got after reading many posts on that subject on JOF. I plan to pull it out Sunday and crank it up before we leave. I'm also plugging in the night before we leave to cool the fridge and charge the battery, for now I only have the single from the factory. We haven't used the water pump yet so I want to make sure it is working. I have one full lp tank and part of another, should that hold out for 5 days running the fridge?
I'd love any and all tips before we go. We have tent camped here for years and are really only using the tt as a bedroom and when it rains (area gets the most rainfall in the state) a dry cozy place to hide in, and for the fridge.
I don't want to be rude so ill more than likely use the generator mostly in mornings to re-charge battery. Please let the advice begin!
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

I'm still on the first 30# of propane after 8 nights of boondocking. So running the fridge on what you've got won't be a problem. Just watch running the water heater unnecessarily.

If you're not running the heater or TV, you'll probably have enough in the battery for 2 days at a time.

A 120VAC genset will have the battery back up within 3-4 hours.

But, if you absolutely need the A/C or microwave, only the genset will run 'em.

The other advantage to the TT: Evenings with no bugs! Light a small citronella candle inside and keep the other lights low. It is so nice to sit and talk, play games, read, etc. without the incessant swatting!

Definitely, throw 20+ gallons of water in the tank and run the pump. Charge the lines. Fill the water heater. Then turn off the pump and dump the tank.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #3

Thanks for the comments. No TV if it's up to me, hopefully we will get good weather for five days and it will be about relaxing and listening to the river flow by, a little hiking and some good trout fishing.
"Gonna buy a home on wheels see
how it feels going mobile"
mothernaturesson is offline   Reply With Quote