Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Finding Correct Hitch Rise. Need some help.

Hello, Just ordered a 2017 Jay Flgiht SLX 14RB Baja Edition and it will be here in about a month! I'm trying to order the correct ball mount for my trailer for when I have to go pick it up, but I have a few questions. I've watched the standard videos and read the instructions on sites that say to measure to the inner top of my truck receiver (done 19") Then to measure to the bottom of the coupler of the leveled trailer. But obviously since I don't have the trailer I can't measure that. Sooo... The Jayco spec sheet I got from the dealer says the "Hitch Ball Height" is 25 1/2".

Question 1) What exactly is the "Hitch Ball Height" measured from? Is it the measurement from the ground to the bottom of the coupler or something else? By the nature of the name it makes me feel like its something else, but what exactly?

Question 2) I measured a unit they had in the showroom and that came to 24" to the bottom of the coupler. Assuming that that particular trailer was truly level, should i use that measurement?

Question 3) If and when i do find the correct measurements to calculate the amount of rise i need. Do I need to add any extra amount to account for squat of the TV when loaded with the trailer?

Thanks for any help, this is my first travel trailer so I don't know what I don't know unfortunately.
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:02 AM   #2

#1 - Measure from ground to top of ball "pocket".

#2 - No.

#3 - No.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Read the attached link post #17 contains links to some useful information.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...tml#post456724

I agree with the response by Hohenwald although I feel #2 and #3 deserve some explanation rather than just a no answer.

FOR #2 Never assume what another TT's coupler height is and that yours will be the same although they may be close.
Make sure that the TV and the TV are both level. Then measure from the ground to the top of the coupler (or to the top if the inside of the coupler) The difference will only be the thickness of the metal. NEXT measure the height of the ball on the TV and adjust the height so it is the same or as close to the same as the measurement of the TT. You will want to use a adjustable ball mount on the TV.

IF the JAYCO spec sheet shows a coupler height of 25,5 inches then preset you TV's ball height to the same.

#3 Once the TT and TV are hooked up you will get some squat You will now adjust your spring bars/equalizer bars to remove this squat and to get the TV and TT back to being level. That is if you are using a WD hitch setup.

However in looking at the specs on the TT you are getting I doubt that you will be using a WD hitch or that you will have very much squat on a truck
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #4

You know, just reading thru these posts I thought of something. I replaced all my 2200# leaf springs with new 2500# springs. I bet I raised my height a little when I did that. Next time I'm on a level site I'll have something to do to kill a little time.
Hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #5

I would make the dealer set it up. They have the tools and knowledge to do it right in a short time. The hitch ball for example requires a lot of torque to be installed correctly. The angle of the ball is also important if you have a weight distributing hitch. Again, have the dealer set it up.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
I would make the dealer set it up. They have the tools and knowledge to do it right in a short time. The hitch ball for example requires a lot of torque to be installed correctly. The angle of the ball is also important if you have a weight distributing hitch. Again, have the dealer set it up.
For the hitch to be properly set up the trailer needs to be loaded as it would be ready to go camping then taken to a set of scales with the tow vehicle loaded as it would be ready to go camping, weighed properly and then debated here requiring at least a twenty page thread that drifts into why my hitch is better than yours, why you need better tires, why you need a different tow rig; ad nauseum.

Then, and only then, will the hitch be properly set up.

I do agree... get the dealer to install the hitch as part of you purchase price and tow it home... if it tows fine leave it alone... if not fine tune it.

edit: from the tone of the OP's post it sounds like he may not have wanted to negotiate the hitch into the purchase of the rig and is trying to buy one online.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:31 AM   #7

Just to add a bit… The different hitch manufacturers may require a different starting hitch height. Consult the manual of the hitch you plan to use to determine the starting hitch height. For example, Blue Ox states to start with the top of the ball 1"-2" higher than the top of the coupler.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM   #8

Thanks for the replys everyone. I already bought the trailer, just waiting until it comes in. Yes I was wanting to buy something online and do it myself to save some $$, but alas it seems there are more things to consider. Thanks again.
Mudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Or don't. Many here tell of how poorly dealers set these up. That was my experience as well. Maybe let them take a first crack at it to get the heavy wrenching done, but the majority here say it will be wrong. That was my experience too.

Ours was installed by the dealer and was completely wrong according to the manufacturer install instructions, and the first CAT scale confirmed that it was basically doing nothing. They "adjusted" it, still nothing. I redid the install following the directions, works great now! My dealer also installed the anti-sway mount backwards; something I learned on my first hard left turn. This was one of the two largest dealers in our region.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball mount, rise, sqaut