Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
Curious, have you got a accurate scale weight on your Sequoia rear axle with the TT hooked up, family and supplies loaded for travel?

In life there are people who do and there are Monday quarterback. Sequoia axles rating is4,000# front and 4,250# rear. So far we towed 3,000+ miles thru mountains in NY, PA, OH, VA and MD. Keeping speed lower than 70mph and staying away from bridge when there is high wind advisory. No swaying, stopping or going issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMBATFAMILY View Post

In life there are people who do and there are Monday quarterback. Sequoia axles rating is4,000# front and 4,250# rear. So far we towed 3,000+ miles thru mountains in NY, PA, OH, VA and MD. Keeping speed lower than 70mph and staying away from bridge when there is high wind advisory. No swaying, stopping or going issues.

Glad to see you have done your homework. A lot of RVer's get fixated with the TV towing capacity and forget about the RAWR which is just as important.

I have also weighed my rig and I'm within 60lbs. of the RAWR.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #23

to SOMBATFAMILY: Even though you have weighed your rig and are under on the individual axle ratings, what is the Sequoia's GVW? I am betting you are over weight by several hundred pounds. My Tundra was rated for 7100 GVW, 16,000 GCWR, 4150 rear axle and front axle 4000. I was way over on GVW and a couple hundred over on rear axle. Truck pulled great but was well over 1000# overloaded.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 11:22 AM   #24

Quote:

No, I would say there are those who do things they maybe shouldn't and then there are those that do things safely. You are towing a heavy ~34' travel trailer with a short wheelbase SUV and you are over maximum payload. I'm not sure if the numbers you posted with the above weights was with your family and cargo in the vehicle or not.

The 28BHBE is a serious trailer and I think most people would feel more comfortable with a 3/4 truck or above. If you encounter an emergency situation with your current set up, I wish you the best.

I think most people here on the board would agree your trailer is simply just too much for your Sequoia. As great as the Sequoia is.

We are only looking out for the safety of your family and the people who occupy the space around your family on the highways.

Just because it pulls and stop fine, doesn't necessarily mean it's safe.

We changed from a Tundra to a 3/4 ton because we were way too close to maximum payload and rear axle ratings with the 287BHSW, which is lighter than the 28BHBE.

We didn't want to risk it, but that's us.

Again, good luck out there.

GMC Sierra 2500HD
287BHSW (original)
X213 (current)
Equal-i-zer 90-00-1200
Saturn V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:40 PM   #25

I've had four Expeditions and am a fan. But it's not right for you and your load. You might look for an Excursion. Or, as suggested, a 2500 Suburban if you don't want a van or pickup.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:18 PM   #26

2017 Suburban 3500HD payloads is around 4000# but tow rating is 3000#. FAWR is 4800# RAWR is 6200#. Not built for towing.

mod: Dimming awning
Dimming Floor light
Shocks
Custom bike/kayak rack
SOMBATFAMILY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #27

Quote:
2017 Suburban 3500HD payloads is around 4000# but tow rating is 3000#. FAWR is 4800# RAWR is 6200#. Not built for towing.

You're joking!
Is there a 3500?
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
You're joking!
Is there a 3500?

I believe it’s only available to fleet sales. Mostly used for as an armored car for diplomats.

For that price, I’d get an f350 (pre 2017) converted into an excursion. Look up Custom Autos by Tim

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #29

Tom would be correct...3500 is the Armored version. The 2500 version is only available as a Fleet. See below.
https://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/su...-duty-suv.html
Old 12-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #30

Makes sense. Thanks.
'14 Denali XL
Old 12-21-2017, 10:08 AM   #31

As said your math is correct. My GMC Sierra has a payload of 1610#, I use about 1300# of that and it's just my wife and I, and a much smaller trailer than yours.

If you have not finalized the purchase of the trailer you might need to consider something smaller. Smaller is not bad. You didn't say how old the kids are. If you go to a smaller trailer, consider a tent for the kids. Kids love tents. They get to be away from mom and dad. Mom and dad get a bit more quiet time at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjcox View Post

Full Tank of Gas 167lbs
Driver and Passenger - 900lbs
Cargo - 200lbs
Tongue Weight - 700lbs
Total Vehicle Payload - 1967lbs

Something seems off if the Toyota which can pull 7100lbs wont be able to tow our new trailer and family.
Double check your owners manual, and if need be contact Toyota on how they calculate payload. Usually manufactures already count a full tank of gas and the driver. That might give you a little more wiggle room, at least a couple of hundred lbs.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #32

I bought a Jay Feather 25BH last fall and have towed it a few times with my Durango RT which on paper has slightly more towing capacity. This is my first trailer of this size, previously I had a pop up. The Durango brakes and accelerates fine (5.7 V8 RT model) but I'm also probably right at the payload limit when fully loaded.

I plan to buy the sway control kit/load equalizer in spring, but I can tell you that without it, it's not comfortable to drive greater than about 55mph, especially when windy.

As others have said, this probably is not enough truck for the camper if you plan to go far from home. Myself I am looking to get a bigger pickup for a long term solution.

Whatever you buy also look for a model with built in trailer brake control or pre wired for it. The Durango is pre-wired so it was just a matter of finding the wire harness under the dash and plugging it in.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisjcox View Post
Hi everyone;

My family and I are new to trailer camping and are purchasing a Jay Feather 25BH. Now we need a vehicle to pull it but I want to make sure I get the appropraite safe vehicle for towing. Ive done research but Im not sure my math is correct and Im hoping the experts can partake some wisdom.

Trailer info
Vehicle Weight 5305lbs
Dry Hitch Weight 645lbs
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating 6750lbs
Cargo Capacity 1445lbs

Now our need for a vehicle puts us in a full size SUV class. Truck isnt in the cards with the amount of kids and kids friends we have. After doing some research were interested in a 2016 Toyota Sequoia SR5

Toyota info
Towing Capacity 7100lbs
Max Tongue Weight 710lbs
GCWR 13600lbs
Payload 1315lbs

So where my math gets messy is when I start trying to figure out payload needs.

When I add up what will be in the car I get
Full Tank of Gas 167lbs
Driver and Passenger - 900lbs
Cargo - 200lbs
Tongue Weight - 700lbs
Total Vehicle Payload - 1967lbs

So if my math is correct and the Sequioa payload also has to incorporate the tongue weight of about 700lbs that puts me 652lbs over the max payload.

Something seems off if the Toyota which can pull 7100lbs wont be able to tow our new trailer and family.

Please let me know if my math is wrong. I dont want to buy a vehicle that wont allow us to safely enjoy our new hobby.

Thanks for you time and advice
Travis
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote