Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #1

Fireplace insert?

Considering putting a fireplace insert under the TV in my 2018 Whitehawk MRB23. This is an option at the time of purchase but the TT we bought at the time didnt have it, Let me specify before panicking, its really just a heater with a thermostat and logs that glow. It does not get hot to touch anywhere on it and pulls 12.5 amps. I believe each outlet runs on a 15 amp fuse. Is there anything I'm not considering or perhaps overlooking?
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I believe each outlet runs on a 15 amp fuse. Is there anything I'm not considering or perhaps overlooking?
Thanks
The factory option comes with a dedicated circut just for the fireplace.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The factory option comes with a dedicated circut just for the fireplace.
Thank you, would you care to expand. So are you saying an insert pulling 12.5 amps wont work on a 15amp fuse
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #4

I installed an insert in our 2012 that we bought from Costco online, it was part of a glass desk structure that was marked way down. Price started around $300.00 was marked down to $150.00. If you search this site you should find a picture. I had to remove the 2 centre doors in front of the tv lift, leaving the 1/4” Luan divider in place. There was an existing electrical outlet in the bottom right cupboard I assume was for a fireplace as it was an option for that year in 2 different forms. It’s been in place since and works well. The heat generated exits at the top and there is no chance of heat getting out anywhere else to cause problems.
4" Magnaflow, Banks Air Intake
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs
DMRGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

I have a friend who did this, modified the TV cabinet, used an aftermarket insert as others are describing. They did tap into the existing circuit, it does work but they do blow it occasionally if they use too much in the kitchen with the fireplace on (coffee maker, mixer, etc). I would definitely second the dedicated circuit. Do you have capacity in the inverter/circuit box and can just run new 120v wiring under the trailer in weather proofed conduit perhaps?

ProPride 3P

jsallman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
Thank you, would you care to expand. So are you saying an insert pulling 12.5 amps wont work on a 15amp fuse
No, what I'm saying is the factory runs a dedicated 15 amp line just for the fireplace since it draws 12+ amps. That way you don't keep tripping the breaker.

Look in the cabinet you may already have one as DMRGMC said.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

We run a couple of the oil-filled electric low profile heaters in our setup. It is really nice to have them on their own circuit and not worry about tripping a breaker killing other things we are using at the time.

Most of the time I have them set to their lowest heat zone and never adjust the thermostat higher than a #3 setting. One usually sets in the door way of our OFF-ROAD POPUP and the second one usually sets on a board in the unused tent bed area.

Whenever possible we most often have the two oil-filled heaters running off of a HD extension cord plugged into the camp ground unused 20AMP PEDESTAL connection. This connection is isolated from the camp ground 30AMP PEDESTAL connection on the same pole.

My sister and her hubby ran what you have in their trailer and it was really nice to run in the mornings first thing to get the floor warmed up good around their setting chairs drinking their first cup of morning coffee.. Most of time they just ran the flame display by itself to make one think it was was a nice warm fireplace. Worked pretty well actually doing that haha...

I had a portable version of one of those in my house and the cord was always running too hot. Finally burned up my house 120VAC receptacle so moved it to the garage storage after that...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #8

Our 2014 W Hawk 30dsre came with the fireplace option and we use it often to keep the main room warm. There is a switch on the wall near the fireplace and is used to switch between the fireplace and the electric side of the water heater. You can only use one at a time so both are on the same circuit. No problem as you can just switch the water heater over to gas and you are good to run both.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Just an FYI. We ordered the fireplace option in our 2018 Eagle HT 324BHTS, but it was mandatory to get the 50 amp option as well with the fireplace. Just sayin .......
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Nardu View Post
Just an FYI. We ordered the fireplace option in our 2018 Eagle HT 324BHTS, but it was mandatory to get the 50 amp option as well with the fireplace. Just sayin .......
The fireplace is basically just an electric heater. It will pull somewhere between 1k and 1500 watts so there are some compromises when you only have 30amps. I only have 30A so I have also ran a 2nd input port and run a 20A cord from the post and use the extra amps to run a 2nd heater or what ever.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote