Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #31
Site Team

Ok guys and gals, calm down.

We are talking about firewood here not the world problems. Every one is informed that there are many different laws and opinions about the use and transport of firewood.

Lets not let this subject get out of hand.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 07-02-2015, 07:05 AM   #32
Site Team

Lets try to stay on topic and polite please. Thank you....

TV 2005 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins POWER
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS Prodigy P3 brake controller.Reese dual cam 1400/14000
Old 07-02-2015, 08:31 AM   #33

I never even had a second thought about transporting fire wood until I started reading this thread. A few weekends ago I bought 2 bundles of "mixed hardwood" from the local grocery store where we were camping (it's mostly oak, but I didn't look close enough to determine species). I had one left over after the trip. The wood came from another town 70 miles away from that store. Next weekend I'm going to a US Forest Service Park about 130 miles away from the original source of the wood. The park's website doesn't mention anything about fire wood.

So if transporting firewood in Texas is restricted in any way, they're not being loud about it. Shortly after finding this thread though, I did notice that Corps of Engineers parks have a notice not to transport firewood, but again, it's not loud.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Old 07-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #34

I just buy the firewood when I get where I'm going. Sometimes I have some left over and I haul it home and then to the next camping excursion. If I have any left over, it's usually just 3 or 4 pieces...enough for 1 camp fire...inevitably, I always end up buying more. I just figure it helps the local economy where I'm camping at!

Dan
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #35

According to this website: Don't Move Firewood | Trees and forests are threatened by invasive foreign insects and diseases Texas doesn't have restrictions within the state on transport of firewood, but "encourages" buying "local".

But Texas is HUGE, so what is "local"?

Anyway, I've seen the damage these things can do, so if preventing that damage means I have to spend a few bucks on some firewood at the CG, I'm really okay with that. Yeah, these things may spread naturally, but we don't need to help them along in their journey.

Worst case; I use my Camco Little Red Campfire. It's great for summers here in TX where you don't want the heat from the fire (it doesn't throw hardly any heat), but you still want the "feel" of a campfire.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 07-02-2015, 08:54 AM   #36

I think someone earlier said they remember when Dutch Elm disease killed all the elms. I remember that too. More recently they cut down a street of infected ash trees in my subdivision. Those trees were huge and created a canopy over the street. Very sad to see the bare street now.

It's for those reasons that I have no problem with buying my firewood locally when I get to the CG.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:58 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Snip... More recently they cut down a street of infected ash trees in my subdivision. Those trees were huge and created a canopy over the street. Very sad to see the bare street now.

It's for those reasons that I have no problem with buying my firewood locally when I get to the CG.
They did this to my grandmother's street years ago. It was VERY sad to see them go, they created such a nice feel and cast such nice shade. It'll take decades to get trees there that were anywhere close to what those trees were.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE

Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I didn't ask.

Correct. Sorry.

I don't love the gov'mint all the time either. In this case though I do believe that trying to stop moving pests to new areas is worthwhile.

Anyone can do what they wish. It is true that enforcement is unlikely to catch up with an individual here and there.

I can tell you that you don't want to cross to Canada with firewood. They do check there and will turn you back to the USA. vic
Old 07-02-2015, 10:43 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
I didn't ask.

I don't live in an area the prevents moving firewood, as I mentioned previously and as you link supported.

I never agreed to give our government(s) more authority than the constitution provided for them.

I believe the government has way overstepped the bounds on many issues, including this one.

I believe the government knows these pests were introduced in shipping crates and pallets, on which there is still no restriction on moving including through our national forests.
Are you kidding me, Bdog and ClubH on the same page and in agreement? Who would have thought. In this case I agree with you on all counts. We don't elect our government officials to save us from our campfires and leave the real local, state, and federal challenges to be kicked down the road for decades.

I also pack firewood unless traveling a long distance. I pretty much always have enough for that first night and then will scrounge for a supply. I have used the dumpster diving trick for several years and have always received the OK from the contractor as long as I stay out of their way. I have also been known to find someone advertising firewood [for home use] on the bulletin board at a local gas station or convinence store and then have them deliver a rick usually for around $50. In most State Parks the firewood consession is handled by the host but in any regard it for sure is free $$ regardless where the packets come from. They always get a cut above and over the vendor costs. Like others have said, $6-8 for a small bundle of bark and green slab wood is a slap in the face to campers. In addition that is why you can always fine partially burned junk that previous campers have purchased at the C store or the host site. It doesn't burn unless you get a hot fire with your own supply.

Love the CG/State rules that say it is illegal to transport firewood, but then go on to say if you do [Ha Ha] then burn it up before you leave. Why do they think we brought it????

Just pile it in your truck bed, keep it out of sight, and don't unload it at your site until after the sun sets.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #40

It's always the few that screw it up for the rest. FYI out west most of the wood is pine, killed by the pine beetle. It has to stand for a year, before it can be cut and used for firewood. I have not seen green slab wood or a pile of bark. And I can assure you no one is getting rich by selling you a $6 bundle of wood. It is done as a convenience to the camper, not the host or CG store.

I don't like over reaching laws, but, sometimes they just make sense.

Closed Thread