Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
And I can assure you no one is getting rich by selling you a $6 bundle of wood.

While I agree with that, I heat my home primarily with wood I cut down and buck and split. After killing myself in the spring I can't seem to open my wallet to cough it up at the campground

Luckily the majority of the places we camp are within the 50 miles law in NY

2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #42

I usually take a bundle or two of store bought/wrapped in case the CG office closed when I get there, but generally will buy it at the site.

I did try to cross into California once, and had my firewood confiscated at the "duty station"

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Old 07-02-2015, 02:53 PM   #43

Due to time to cut and load and weight issues, most of the time we purchase locally. I always keep my eyes open on the way into a cg looking for someone who is selling. WE BURN A LOT! In this last trip (8 nights) we burned two "ric's" and a 3' square box full. The fire is going pretty much all day, and never left unattended.

In Michigan, the state parks encourage burning locally and you are not supposed to leave with any firewood, wether you purchsed it or not. Also, prior to crossing the Mackinac bridge (into the U.P), you must unload all campfire wood. If im not mistaken, I believe it is still agenst the law to transport Ash, period, in Michigan. I think its a pretty hefty fine if you are caught doing so.

A lot of private CGs, I understand, ban outside fire wood, they say because of the EAB, but I too believe its just one more way for them to get a few extra bucks. I rarely camp in private CGs, mostly be cause I havent found any i really like, but also because of that.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 07-02-2015, 03:02 PM   #44

I guess I am a bit opinionated having a wildlife biology degree. Having read about invasive species such as the purple loose strife, lamprey, Asian carp, zebra mussel, etc. I know how hard and costly they can be to control for states already dealing with a limited budget. The emerald ash borer is big in the eastern half of the US and could be costly to forest managers, wood suppliers and the on the sporting, woodworking and cabinet industry if it gets worse. I'll do my part to be a steward of nature and pay a few extra bucks for local firewood.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #45

Regarding unseasoned or wet wood, I found a trick some years back in my quest for better heat dispersion for cooking over the fire. I lay down a rectangular bed of charcoal down and lay 2 pieces of wood next the long sides, and crisscross 2 more over that. It makes a huge difference in cooking. Moreover, doing the charcoal with a piece or 2 of dry wood mixed with unseasoned/wet wood works great. The charcoal makes a nice hot center that forces the wet wood to burn. Once the fire is going, the wet stuff will burn just fine.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:18 PM   #46

I already posted my comment on the subject, but just remembered....as a side note. We stayed at TX State Park on Lake Tyler last year and they had all the firewood you could take. There was a box at the firewood location that asked for donations for the "free" firewood. Of course, I felt guilty, so I put a $20 in the box, as we used fire wood all week while we were there.

Dan
'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Old 07-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I already posted my comment on the subject, but just remembered....as a side note. We stayed at TX State Park on Lake Tyler last year and they had all the firewood you could take. There was a box at the firewood location that asked for donations for the "free" firewood. Of course, I felt guilty, so I put a $20 in the box, as we used fire wood all week while we were there.

Dan
Wish more state parks and NF CG's would do that. They have tons of firewood available from clearing park roads, right aways, and tail mgmt.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wish more state parks and NF CG's would do that. They have tons of firewood available from clearing park roads, right aways, and tail mgmt.
That is the most expensive wood you will ever purchase, but all of us paid for that wood to be cut and split. Rather than paying a few $ for the wood YOU use and supporting some individual that is willing to work (hard) and cut and split it by hand. Anything the government does will cost much more than private industry. I would rather pay for my own wood than ask all the taxpayers to pay more so I can save a few $.

Exactly what is wrong with the country today, we use to be individuals who would do for ourselves, now we want big brother to do everything for us, even tho your just screwing your neighbors.

Government should never do anything you can do for yourself, at any level.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I always wondered why so many folks think it's appropriate to burn their garbage in the camp fire. Don't they have garbage bags? Do they really need to stink up the whole campground with the smell of their burning trash?
I burn paper plates, napkins, bacon grease, and any other flammable waste so as not to let them go to a landfill and/or attract insects and pests to my campsite. And as taught when I was a Boy Scout - and teach Scouts still - I always burn out any canned food cans before disposing of them in the garbage - again, to prevent pests from being attracted to the garbage cans/dumpsters.

I suppose it does put a bit of non-wood smelling smoke in the air, but not much, and not for long. I don't let it smolder, but save it until I have a roaring fire going. If that offends someone, well, I am sorry. But I think my reasons are valid. I do not, however, burn the waste scraped from leftovers and plates, watermelon rinds, and some of the other stuff discussed earlier - and which I have found in fire pits at campgrounds. THAT would be offensive!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Old 07-03-2015, 02:18 PM   #50

Nothing worse than finding melted beer cans and bottles in the pit. As well as cigarette butts.

Equal-I-Zer™ WDH
Me, Momma and Charles (RIP buddy)
And introducing Sofie!! ;)
Closed Thread