Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
And I can assure you no one is getting rich by selling you a $6 bundle of wood.

While I agree with that, I heat my home primarily with wood I cut down and buck and split. After killing myself in the spring I can't seem to open my wallet to cough it up at the campground

Luckily the majority of the places we camp are within the 50 miles law in NY
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
Old 07-02-2015, 12:39 PM   #42

I usually take a bundle or two of store bought/wrapped in case the CG office closed when I get there, but generally will buy it at the site.

I did try to cross into California once, and had my firewood confiscated at the "duty station"

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Old 07-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #43

Due to time to cut and load and weight issues, most of the time we purchase locally. I always keep my eyes open on the way into a cg looking for someone who is selling. WE BURN A LOT! In this last trip (8 nights) we burned two "ric's" and a 3' square box full. The fire is going pretty much all day, and never left unattended.

In Michigan, the state parks encourage burning locally and you are not supposed to leave with any firewood, wether you purchsed it or not. Also, prior to crossing the Mackinac bridge (into the U.P), you must unload all campfire wood. If im not mistaken, I believe it is still agenst the law to transport Ash, period, in Michigan. I think its a pretty hefty fine if you are caught doing so.

A lot of private CGs, I understand, ban outside fire wood, they say because of the EAB, but I too believe its just one more way for them to get a few extra bucks. I rarely camp in private CGs, mostly be cause I havent found any i really like, but also because of that.

'03 Tahoe LT 5.3L
Old 07-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #44

I guess I am a bit opinionated having a wildlife biology degree. Having read about invasive species such as the purple loose strife, lamprey, Asian carp, zebra mussel, etc. I know how hard and costly they can be to control for states already dealing with a limited budget. The emerald ash borer is big in the eastern half of the US and could be costly to forest managers, wood suppliers and the on the sporting, woodworking and cabinet industry if it gets worse. I'll do my part to be a steward of nature and pay a few extra bucks for local firewood.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #45

Regarding unseasoned or wet wood, I found a trick some years back in my quest for better heat dispersion for cooking over the fire. I lay down a rectangular bed of charcoal down and lay 2 pieces of wood next the long sides, and crisscross 2 more over that. It makes a huge difference in cooking. Moreover, doing the charcoal with a piece or 2 of dry wood mixed with unseasoned/wet wood works great. The charcoal makes a nice hot center that forces the wet wood to burn. Once the fire is going, the wet stuff will burn just fine.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #46

I already posted my comment on the subject, but just remembered....as a side note. We stayed at TX State Park on Lake Tyler last year and they had all the firewood you could take. There was a box at the firewood location that asked for donations for the "free" firewood. Of course, I felt guilty, so I put a $20 in the box, as we used fire wood all week while we were there.

Dan
Old 07-03-2015, 08:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I already posted my comment on the subject, but just remembered....as a side note. We stayed at TX State Park on Lake Tyler last year and they had all the firewood you could take. There was a box at the firewood location that asked for donations for the "free" firewood. Of course, I felt guilty, so I put a $20 in the box, as we used fire wood all week while we were there.

Dan
Wish more state parks and NF CG's would do that. They have tons of firewood available from clearing park roads, right aways, and tail mgmt.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:51 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Wish more state parks and NF CG's would do that. They have tons of firewood available from clearing park roads, right aways, and tail mgmt.
That is the most expensive wood you will ever purchase, but all of us paid for that wood to be cut and split. Rather than paying a few $ for the wood YOU use and supporting some individual that is willing to work (hard) and cut and split it by hand. Anything the government does will cost much more than private industry. I would rather pay for my own wood than ask all the taxpayers to pay more so I can save a few $.

Exactly what is wrong with the country today, we use to be individuals who would do for ourselves, now we want big brother to do everything for us, even tho your just screwing your neighbors.

Government should never do anything you can do for yourself, at any level.

Old 07-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
I always wondered why so many folks think it's appropriate to burn their garbage in the camp fire. Don't they have garbage bags? Do they really need to stink up the whole campground with the smell of their burning trash?
I burn paper plates, napkins, bacon grease, and any other flammable waste so as not to let them go to a landfill and/or attract insects and pests to my campsite. And as taught when I was a Boy Scout - and teach Scouts still - I always burn out any canned food cans before disposing of them in the garbage - again, to prevent pests from being attracted to the garbage cans/dumpsters.

I suppose it does put a bit of non-wood smelling smoke in the air, but not much, and not for long. I don't let it smolder, but save it until I have a roaring fire going. If that offends someone, well, I am sorry. But I think my reasons are valid. I do not, however, burn the waste scraped from leftovers and plates, watermelon rinds, and some of the other stuff discussed earlier - and which I have found in fire pits at campgrounds. THAT would be offensive!

Scoutr2 (Mike)
2015 Jay Flight 32RLDS Elite
2012 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ (6.6L Duramax/Allison)
Equalizer Hitch (1200# bars)
Old 07-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #50

Nothing worse than finding melted beer cans and bottles in the pit. As well as cigarette butts.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
Old 07-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutr2 View Post
I burn paper plates, napkins, bacon grease, and any other flammable waste so as not to let them go to a landfill and/or attract insects and pests to my campsite. And as taught when I was a Boy Scout - and teach Scouts still - I always burn out any canned food cans before disposing of them in the garbage - again, to prevent pests from being attracted to the garbage cans/dumpsters.

I suppose it does put a bit of non-wood smelling smoke in the air, but not much, and not for long. I don't let it smolder, but save it until I have a roaring fire going. If that offends someone, well, I am sorry. But I think my reasons are valid. I do not, however, burn the waste scraped from leftovers and plates, watermelon rinds, and some of the other stuff discussed earlier - and which I have found in fire pits at campgrounds. THAT would be offensive!
Burning them is one thing, but many just toss them in on their way out, with food on the plates, broken beer bottles etc and never light them. Face it some people are just pigs..( sorry real pigs). The world revolves them and everyone is there to pick up after them. Guess they would be part of the "entitlement" crowd.

Perhaps we need to start a thread on Camping etiquette. So many seem to be clueless...walking through another occupied camp site etc.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Perhaps we need to start a thread on Camping etiquette. So many seem to be clueless...walking through another occupied camp site etc.
And this forum thread already exists! Camping etiquette, where did it go?

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #53

I hope that all of that "stuff" that all of you burn in the fire ring completely burns before you leave? Otherwise a camp host like me has to shovel it out and dispose of it.

Don't get me started on cigarette butts and the little clear plastic straw holders on CapriSun type drinks.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
Old 07-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #54

Quote:
That is the most expensive wood you will ever purchase, but all of us paid for that wood to be cut and split. Rather than paying a few $ for the wood YOU use and supporting some individual that is willing to work (hard) and cut and split it by hand. Anything the government does will cost much more than private industry. I would rather pay for my own wood than ask all the taxpayers to pay more so I can save a few $.

Exactly what is wrong with the country today, we use to be individuals who would do for ourselves, now we want big brother to do everything for us, even tho your just screwing your neighbors.

Government should never do anything you can do for yourself, at any level.
Well you would be wrong. Parks routinely clear trees etc as I mentioned. They already incur costs to handle the debris usually by either running it thru a shredder or by burning it [bad for the old planet I hear] so cutting and splitting it is a minimal cost at best. We Rvers are taxpayers too so we are already paying the cost of creating and maintaining our parks and CG's. Charging the typical rates for a few small pieces of green wood should be a crime.

Please feel free to do as you will, but others might feel differently. Since we have already paid for our parks, I don't see we are putting any hard working american out of work by getting a little payback for OUR hard earned and heavily taxed earnings.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 AM   #55

Why does our government so concerned about laws to limit "firewood" but will allow unbridled immigration across our lands and we can't even require the same health certifications as we do our own children before they can attend school? What puts more hardworking americans out of work, free firewood at a state park or non enforcement of our laws at our borders?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:31 AM   #56

Political Warning!! Yup this topic has taken a turn off topic. So before the Mods step in I will step back from this thread. Points and habits have been expressed already.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:51 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Well you would be wrong. Parks routinely clear trees etc as I mentioned. They already incur costs to handle the debris usually by either running it thru a shredder or by burning it [bad for the old planet I hear] so cutting and splitting it is a minimal cost at best. We Rvers are taxpayers too so we are already paying the cost of creating and maintaining our parks and CG's. Charging the typical rates for a few small pieces of green wood should be a crime.

Please feel free to do as you will, but others might feel differently. Since we have already paid for our parks, I don't see we are putting any hard working american out of work by getting a little payback for OUR hard earned and heavily taxed earnings.
Actually in many areas, the parks do nothing but mark a tree. Then a person (after a waiting period) comes in, cuts the tree, hauls it out and cuts and splits it into firewood. So cost to the forest service is minimal. Paying over priced government workers to do it is not only much more expensive it's a waste of their time. And it is something that everyone has to pay for. Having a private individual do it all, not only saves those of us not using the wood, but it also provides some income for those willing to work and not wanting or expecting the government to do everything for them. They also pay taxes on the money they make, the equipment they use and the supplies needed to provide their services.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:04 AM   #58
Site Team

In the six pages this thread has run, the discussion has drifted far away (and in a number of different directions) from Firefighter78's original question as to whether it would be more economical to bring along his own firewood or purchase it locally at or near the campground. With the political aspects being brought into the discussion it has become necessary to close this thread.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

Closed Thread