Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2018, 02:52 PM   #1

Firman Generator at Costco

Costco has a pretty good price on the Firman open-frame generator right now. Its dual-fuel, with a 50amp plug built-in and puts out 7500 watts running, 9400 peak. THD, according to Firman, is 5% at full load.

Its not an inverter model, so its going to be noisy and the THD won't be as good (though 5% should be OK, right?). I would consider building a baffle box with marine engine sound insulation – however the intended use would be for unplanned camping events. Traveling with two kids under 5 means plans may be diverted and I'd want to be prepared in case we had to camp out unexpectedly.

I'm also considering Harbor Freight's Predator 3500 and the Champion 4000 Hybrid. All are about the same price, give or take.

I like the Costco one for the high output and dual fuel, I could use it at the house or the RV. Any thoughts or suggestions? My only comparable generator experience is on a 46 foot trawler with a 12kw Lugger onboard.

Gone but not forgotten:
Harvey – *SOLD* 2018 Eagle HT TT 314BHDS
Big D - 2002 F250 XLT CCSB 7.3L Power Stroke (semi-retired)
NorCal Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #2

No experience beyond Kohler.

But like any machine, warranty, will they stand behind it or even be there?
Service, who will work on it locally?
Parts, will there be parts in a few years, even something as simple as a spark plug.

Champion and predator have been around for awhile but I a not sure who can work on them. Honda and Yamaha, they are pretty much everywhere.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #3

You do not want to run NON-INVERTER Generators on your RV.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:41 PM   #4

There are a number of issues you'll want to consider (price, power output, inverter vs. non-inverter, warranty support, etc.). If you're planning on doing any camping in public areas, sound level should definitely be a high priority consideration. 7kw-9kw, open frame generators, like the Firman, are loud. Not sure an enclosure is going to quiet it down enough to keep folks from knocking on your trailer door asking for relief.

Good luck!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
(snip) Not sure an enclosure is going to quiet it down enough to keep folks from knocking on your trailer door asking for relief.

Good luck!
You will be disappoint with the blaring noise of the big generator. It might be good in a power outage at the home, but not for camping, even if you are boondocking away from other campers...
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
No experience beyond Kohler.

But like any machine, warranty, will they stand behind it or even be there?
Service, who will work on it locally?
Parts, will there be parts in a few years, even something as simple as a spark plug.

Champion and predator have been around for awhile but I a not sure who can work on them. Honda and Yamaha, they are pretty much everywhere.
Warranty is a good point. Costco has a good return policy but as far as having it serviced, I would just assume its on me. I have no idea where you take a Firman or Predator or Champion for service and repair.

Pretty much anything I buy at Harbor Freight I buy with the assumption it is one-time or limited use. That's whats bothering me the most about the Predator.

I don't know much about the Champion other than I see quite a few folks here have them (and Amazon reviews).

I'd love to get a Honda but they are just too expensive. I understand you get what you pay for but I think their price points are on the side of unreasonable. I might be able to justify the cost if I was planning to dry camp 100% of the time and use it that much but that isn't the case.

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 06-25-2018, 04:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Warranty is a good point . . . I don't know much about the Champion other than I see quite a few folks here have them (and Amazon reviews) . . .
Champion, arguably, has some of the best warranty support in the consumer generator space. They have very knowledgeable, US-based technicians on-call. They are also known for prompt shipment of parts (usually within 24-48 hours). If you're unable to replace defective parts DIY, they will typically try to contract with a local generator shop in your area to do the repair for you.

FWIW, it's next to impossible to get technical assistance directly from Honda or Yamaha. They always refer you to one of their authorized service centers. In my experience, technicians at these service centers rarely speak to customers---you must deal with service "representatives" (with no technical background) who ask you to drop off or ship your Honda or Yamaha generator to their facility---regardless how minor the problem is. Turn-around times for warranty repairs vary widely.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #8

Does anyone have a Champion 4000 Hybrid and can speak to the noise level it produces? I’m sure its not as quiet as a Honda, but is it actually quieter than a standard open-frame?

Gone but not forgotten:
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

FWIW, it's next to impossible to get technical assistance directly from Honda or Yamaha. They always refer you to one of their authorized service centers. In my experience, technicians at these service centers rarely speak to customers---you must deal with service "representatives" (with no technical background) who ask you to drop off or ship your Honda or Yamaha generator to their facility---regardless how minor the problem is. Turn-around times for warranty repairs vary widely.
Were your Hondas purchased from a Honda Power Equipment dealer or from some other source? We have a Honda dealer 5 miles from our house and we have had an excellent experience from their service department for our equipment. Same thing can be said for my Stihl equipment purchased from our local dealer.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #10

If you buy quality like Honda or Yamaha chances are you wont need any service. I have a 26 year old Honda 6500 watt liquid cooled generator for home use. In all those years all I have ever needed to replace was the battery. While getting some Deere parts at the dealer last week I asked the guy if parts were still available for my generator, he pulled it up on the computer and all parts are still available in a day or two.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Were your Hondas purchased from a Honda Power Equipment dealer or from some other source? We have a Honda dealer 5 miles from our house and we have had an excellent experience from their service department for our equipment. Same thing can be said for my Stihl equipment purchased from our local dealer.
You're fortunate. Most folks do not live 5 miles away from a well-run Honda authorized service center (i.e., Power Equipment Dealer).

I've dealt with numerous Honda ASC's throughout the country. Some are responsive, some not so much. Honda does not provide technical support directly to their retail customers. They refer their customers to their 3rd party authorized service centers, whose technical support and expertise vary widely from center to center. What I like about Champion is their willingness to sometimes allow their best technicians (and on rare occasions an engineer) to talk directly to their retail customers when situations warrant.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
You're fortunate. Most folks do not live 5 miles away from a well-run Honda authorized service center (i.e., Power Equipment Dealer).
I guess I take it for granted that everyone would have quality Honda dealer close by. Well, if you are ever in PA, I highly recommend Brown Supply for Honda Service.

www.rbrownsupply.com
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Eagle View Post
Does anyone have a Champion 4000 Hybrid and can speak to the noise level it produces? I’m sure its not as quiet as a Honda, but is it actually quieter than a standard open-frame?
Personally heard a few of these run last week. When it's running under maximum load, it has similar loudness as many 3500-4000 watt open-frame generators.

However, where the Champion Hybrid inverter generator shines (vs. a "standard", open-frame generator of the same rating) is when it's running at minimum to moderate loads. Under less than maximum load, the engine speed/RPM is reduced, which in-turn, lowers the sound level. Most open-frame (non-inverter) generators are mechanically governed to run at the same engine speed under all load conditions.

When the Champion Hybrid is under minimum to moderate loads it's not as quiet as a similar-rated, enclosed, sound insulated, inverter generator, but definitely quieter than a similar-rated, open-frame (non-inverter) generator under the same load.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Personally heard a few of these run last week. When it's running under maximum load, it has similar loudness as many 3500-4000 watt open-frame generators.

However, where the Champion Hybrid inverter generator shines (vs. a "standard", open-frame generator of the same rating) is when it's running at minimum to moderate loads. Under less than maximum load, the engine speed/RPM is reduced, which in-turn, lowers the sound level. Most open-frame (non-inverter) generators are mechanically governed to run at the same engine speed under all load conditions.

When the Champion Hybrid is under minimum to moderate loads it's not as quiet as a similar-rated, enclosed, sound insulated, inverter generator, but definitely quieter than a similar-rated, open-frame (non-inverter) generator under the same load.
Perfect, this is great info! Thanks!

Gone but not forgotten: