Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2021, 03:55 PM   #1

First Blow Out

First I am very meticulous about covering my tires, checking lugnut torque, and tire pressure. Headed up a steep grade in West Virginia on Thursday and a guy pulls up beside me to let me know I had blown a tire. Thankfully no damage to the trailer other than some cosmetic marks on the metal panel above the tires. I just ordered Goodyear endurance radials to replace the now 5 year old tires. Thankfully I always check the spare and it was ready to go and I had all the tools. Still no fun changing the tire on the side of the highway. Thankfully it was on the passenger side. Don’t want to have to go through that again.
Attached Thumbnails
7C3F14A1-D05C-4F1B-BC57-86858AA2ED1B.jpg  
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #2

And what was the make of the tire that blew?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

They were Provider tires. Not a brand I am familiar with but made in China of course. They are in good shape. A little scuffed but look good with no cracking.
Centerline WDH
Old 05-29-2021, 04:59 PM   #4

Working on installing my tst 507 that has been in the garage for a couple of months. Had a blowout on a pop up several years ago and destroyed a cabinet and left black marks on the linoleum. Not on this trailer if I can help it.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:03 PM   #5

You should have probably already replaced those tires, five years old. And you should probably invest in a TPMS too.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:08 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
Working on installing my tst 507 that has been in the garage for a couple of months.
You will get a lot of peace of mind when that TST507 is monitoring your tires. It is a piece of cake to install.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:22 PM   #7

Honestly they should have been replaced but they looked to be in such good condition that I let them go. Actually had priced the new tires out but spent that money on some other repairs. TPS is now a must have as well.
Centerline WDH
Old 05-29-2021, 07:28 PM   #8
Site Team

You might have picked up something in that tire, and lost air quickly enough for it to overheat and shred. The one time a tire exploded on a car coming towards me, it sounded like a bomb going off. It was so loud, the dump truck in front of me pulled over to see if it was one of his.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
You should have probably already replaced those tires, five years old. And you should probably invest in a TPMS too.
Rule of thumb, or because they're cheap tires?
Finally Able is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #10

First Blow Out

Same thing happened to me in West Virginia. I lost the other tire on the same side on the trip home. I’d grab another spare now if that wasn’t the trip home for you.

And I second the TST507. It alerted instantly before any collateral damage could occur.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:51 PM   #11

That’s what I think happened. Was fortunate to have someone tell me right when it happened.
Centerline WDH
Old 05-29-2021, 08:05 PM   #12

Don't forget to replace the spare also, its 5 years old too
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally Able View Post
Rule of thumb, or because they're cheap tires?
I would say rule of thumb. Only you know how many miles are on your tires and how long they've sat not being used and in the hot summer sun each year. Add the fact that they're known to be cheap troublesome tires, yea. Needing to be replaced.
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:36 AM   #14

Have the same make on my 2017 Hummingbird," Provider " Just came back from Yellowstone we put 5400 miles on them, Plus 2 trips to Florida and a few weekend trips. Thinking I have near 10,000 miles on them. They still look great,Call me lucky I guess. I order Goodyear endurance week ago
hummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:00 AM   #15

I would consider adding a remote Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)...you'll be able to monitor tire pressure and temperature. Just a thought.
Senecabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 12:08 PM   #16

Lucky no injury or damage. I just replaced my Provider tires with those Good years a couple of months ago. Mine had 4 1/2 years on them & 30,000 miles without any problem. I just figured it was about time.
robert9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 02:11 PM   #17

I just (moments ago) ordered my GY Endurance set. This thread reminded me to do so.

My OEM China Bombs don't even have 1,000 miles on them... bought the camper, and drove it straight up to our seasonal campsite upon where they sat for 2.5 years, then I drug it home right after covid started. Aside from that, just 2 other trips - one late last season, and one early this season.

I'm (fingers crossed) doing a trip out west this fall (CT to Utah and back) and want tires to be the least of my worries. Already have a TPMS (TireMinder Smart TPMS).

Glad your blowout didn't cause any damage to the rig - and glad it was the passenger side vs. driver's. It amazes me how many people don't bother to move over and give you a lane of space...and the others that won't slow down either.
AUH #3220
White Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazman65 View Post
First I am very meticulous about covering my tires, checking lugnut torque, and tire pressure. Headed up a steep grade in West Virginia on Thursday and a guy pulls up beside me to let me know I had blown a tire. Thankfully no damage to the trailer other than some cosmetic marks on the metal panel above the tires. I just ordered Goodyear endurance radials to replace the now 5 year old tires. Thankfully I always check the spare and it was ready to go and I had all the tools. Still no fun changing the tire on the side of the highway. Thankfully it was on the passenger side. Don’t want to have to go through that again.

Since you didn't know till another driver warned Does that mean you do not have a TPMS? or it may not be programmed correctly.
The picture is too low quality for me to zoom in and get a good focus. I will PM my email. Please send original picture. Better yet get a lot closer shots (show 1/3 or tire in whole picture). Take the picture in full sunlight. I am mainly interested in seeing the cord ends.
Old 06-05-2021, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Since you didn't know till another driver warned Does that mean you do not have a TPMS? or it may not be programmed correctly.
The picture is too low quality for me to zoom in and get a good focus. I will PM my email. Please send original picture. Better yet get a lot closer shots (show 1/3 or tire in whole picture). Take the picture in full sunlight. I am mainly interested in seeing the cord ends.
You got my interest. What are you thinking? I sense a golden opportunity to learn something here.
Old 06-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
You got my interest. What are you thinking? I sense a golden opportunity to learn something here.

In my 40 years as a tire design engineer I ended up specializing in Forensic Tire Inspections. IMO to often people simply claim the country of origin is the reason for a tire to fail but I have yet to see anyone identify the exact reason or mistake or rubber compound that caused the tire to fail.
Simply buying another tire will get you back on the road but you may not be addressing the real Root Cause for the original failure.
An obvious example would be a damaged valve stem which resulted in air loss. Since there are no "Fail-Proof" tires in general use in the RV market any tire can and will fail if you don't keep sufficient air in it.
You have a failure because of the valve. You get a new tire but use the old valve. Have you "fixed" the original reason for the failure?
This is an obvious and extreme example but you get the point.

I am asking for better pictures (I do not expect anyone to ship me the carcass although that has happened) Many times good pictures can reveal evidence of the reason for the failure as different root causes leave different evidence. Think of the TV police dramas where there is a medical examiner that finds clues that help the detective "solve" the case.

That was basically the focus of the last 6 years of my carrier.