Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #1

First Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS Trip

Finally got our new trailer out this passed weekend for 6 days. Love the trailer and it fits our needs perfectly. The shower is HUGE! We did find a couple of issues unfortunately.

1. Fridge door doesn't latch because it isn't aligned properly. Found that out the hard way when we got to camp and found our fridge was off and our items were lying on the floor.

2. Water heater stopped working after about 5 days. It was getting gas to the tank, it just wouldn't ignite. The water level did show empty on the monitor panel, but empty is anywhere from 0 to 26 gallons. And I know we had plenty of fresh water in the tank still.

3. Not all the AC vents blow out air the same. Some had a lot of air coming out of them and others barely had air at all.

4. The awning struggles when rolling out. It's like it gets wrapped up in itself until I push on it. Then it rolls out fine.

5. We installed the oxygenics showerhead before we left and noticed everything we closed the shutoff valve on the showerhead the water pump would sputter. Any one else notice that?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan View Post
Finally got our new trailer out this passed weekend for 6 days. Love the trailer and it fits our needs perfectly. The shower is HUGE!

We did find a couple of issues unfortunately.

1. Fridge door doesn't latch because it isn't aligned properly. Found that out the hard way when we got to camp and found our fridge was off and our items were lying on the floor. (The standard 8cu ft fridge, correct? On ours, there is a 'click' when the door is pressed closed. It doesn't 'click' until the door is pressed fairly hard. If heavy items slide against the door, it's possible to force the door open.)

2a. Water heater stopped working after about 5 days. It was getting gas to the tank, it just wouldn't ignite. (6gallon? There have been a rash of circuit board failures reported on this site. Sounds like your water heater has the same problem.)

2b. The water level did show empty on the monitor panel, but empty is anywhere from 0 to 26 gallons. And I know we had plenty of fresh water in the tank still. (Fresh water tank gauges don't have the contamination problems the grey and black tanks do. Our fresh water gauge still reads 'correctly' after 3+years.)

3. Not all the AC vents blow out air the same. Some had a lot of air coming out of them and others barely had air at all. (There are a couple of issues that have been topics here: A baffle in the unit is out of position and/or the individual ceiling ducts are obstructed.)

4. The awning struggles when rolling out. It's like it gets wrapped up in itself until I push on it. Then it rolls out fine.

5. We installed the oxygenics showerhead before we left and noticed everything we closed the shutoff valve on the showerhead the water pump would sputter. Any one else notice that? (I'm guessing this is due to the rapid pressure changes the water pump is seeing and it is stopping/restarting trying to adjust. Does that fit the 'sputter' you experience?)
My comments in BOLD. Hope some of this helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #3
BJR

Quote:
Finally got our new trailer out this passed weekend for 6 days. Love the trailer and it fits our needs perfectly. The shower is HUGE! We did find a couple of issues unfortunately.

1. Fridge door doesn't latch because it isn't aligned properly. Found that out the hard way when we got to camp and found our fridge was off and our items were lying on the floor.

What ^ said or warranty.

2. Water heater stopped working after about 5 days. It was getting gas to the tank, it just wouldn't ignite. The water level did show empty on the monitor panel, but empty is anywhere from 0 to 26 gallons. And I know we had plenty of fresh water in the tank still.

The circuit boards on these are suspect but this could get a thread of its own. Did it ignite at all? Was the ignitor close enough to the ground? Did you hear it click? Lots of possibilities.

3. Not all the AC vents blow out air the same. Some had a lot of air coming out of them and others barely had air at all.

I had a thread on this which may help:
Coleman Mach 3 A/C Fix You have to drop the screen then the metal plate to inspect the ductwork.

No help here.

5. We installed the oxygenics showerhead before we left and noticed everything we closed the shutoff valve on the showerhead the water pump would sputter. Any one else notice that?

By design it should leak somewhat so it maintains the temp when you kick it back on again. Our non-Oxygenics will be scalding for 2 seconds after you turn it back on because it doesn't have this feature.
My responses inline in bold.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #4

Thanks for both your replies.

As far as the fridge goes, the door is misaligned and sits too low in order for the mechanism to sit in the latch.

Water heater is 6 gallons. It worked for 4 days and then stopped working. I can hear the gas coming on, but no clicking from the ignitor. Then I get a fault light on the control panel where the water heater gets turned on.

As far as the water pump goes. It sounds fine when the showerhead is full blast. It just starts sputtering when you close it to a drip. Just didn't know if that was normal or not.

The AC information is great, thanks again for that. Gives me information I can talk to them about when I take it in.

Everything will get covered under warranty of course, just takes forever to get them fixed.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:43 PM   #5

I had an awning issue similar to this turned out the fabric was not centered. I loosened the two set screws on the roll side and slid the fabric left 1/4” (trial and error which direction) and voila unrolled perfect. Could be your issue. This was a Carefree awning.

Same issue with the AC and the solution BJR gave was the exact cure...very easy fix.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #6

First Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS Trip

Congrats on your new 28BHS! We also love ours! The shower is great for sure!!!! I’ve added my comments below.

Quote:

>> I’ve noticed that ours doesn’t latch completely when the door is loaded up either. Haven’t had the experience that you did yet, but we have (5) of the Camco 44073 refrigerator bars that we install before heading out “just in case”. I haven’t had a chance to try and figure out how to adjust the door yet... When the door is empty, it clicks when it shuts. Below is a picture for reference if you haven’t seen them.

>> Haven’t had this issue with our unit. On our last 26BH we had a spider web in the burner tube that prevented it from igniting. I did notice on our last couple of camping trips that it did not seem to be burning quite right. Starting to see some discoloration on the vent screen. I was going to check for spider webs in the burner tube again but have not had a chance to yet.

>> I noticed this a little bit on ours too but not to the extent you have. I believe these units now have a Dometic AC, not Coleman Mach. One thing I have noticed is condensation building up on the ceiling right in front of the freezer door on humid days, almost to the point where it drips on the floor.

>> Ours goes without being prodded, however it is painfully slow going in and out. Much slower than the one we had on our 26BH.

>> We put the Oxygenics head on our 26BH. I don’t recall having this issue.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4018.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	44242
Hope this helps! Good Luck and Happy Trails!!
2015 RAM 3500HD Cummins Turbo Diesel, Tradesman Crew Cab 4WD
Duke_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
BJR

Here is the thing about the Oxygenics:
Oxygenics RV Body Spa Shower Head ~ Breakdown & Test Vs Stock Shower Head
Old 09-19-2018, 06:50 PM   #8

Quote:

As far as the fridge goes, the door is misaligned and sits too low in order for the mechanism to sit in the latch.

...snip
It might be that hinge is broken. I'm sure the dealer will check for that when they check the alignment, but I did want to mention it just in case they don't.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:

Water heater is 6 gallons. It worked for 4 days and then stopped working. I can hear the gas coming on, but no clicking from the ignitor. Then I get a fault light on the control panel where the water heater gets turned on.

As far as the water pump goes. It sounds fine when the showerhead is full blast. It just starts sputtering when you close it to a drip. Just didn't know if that was normal or not.

The AC information is great, thanks again for that. Gives me information I can talk to them about when I take it in.

Everything will get covered under warranty of course, just takes forever to get them fixed.
Congrats on the purchase!!! We just got the same last month and are going on our second trip this weekend. I had the same fridge issue, but never though about the door being overloaded. I couldn't figure it out. Now all of a sudden everything seems to be lined up again, so maybe it was just too much weight on the door. I did end up to the campground with our door open and semi cold food. We put some bungies across on the way home just in case. I looked at trying to adjust the hinges and there is no adjustment. I'll let you know how this weekend goes, but I am leaning toward the too much weight in the door.
justlb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #10

Never thought about the weight in the door causing it to sit lower. Ill have to look at it again now that its empty. That shouldn't happen though. Unfortunately the dealership can't get me in until Oct 6th, hope they have everything done by the 10th for my sons elk hunt.