Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #1

First Post! Newbie looking at 195RB

Hello!

We are new to camping (thanks to our first dog!) and are currently somewhat limited on our TV as I just bought a new VW Atlas a month before this became a thought.

At any rate, we also have a 2017 Nissan Pathfinder that we could tow with until we could upgrade the TV later. If we wanted to get started now, seems like we are limited in what we could pull, so I thought y'all could give some opinions.

2017 Pathfinder numbers:

GVWR: 5986#
GCVR: 11000#
Payload (from door jamb sticker): 1149#
Max Hitch Wt: 600#

So, after watching lots of YouTube and reading through these forums, we were trying to keep our TT weight under 4000#. Looked at Rpods, FR Surveyor Legend 19RBLE, Apex Nano 213RBS, and Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S.

However, we like Jayco's (ideally, if I had a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, we'd get an Eagle 5th wheel), and I have looked at the Jay Feather Micro 166FBS, which we love, but the Full Size bed I think is a deal breaker. I think that the 212QB is too much TT for the Pathfinder, so that leaves us looking at the Jay Flight SLX 195RB, which has a GVWR of 3750# and a dry hitch (I know...) of 270#.

Thoughts are appreciated!
tidefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 11:59 AM   #2

Welcome to JOF from SW Michigan! There's a few chaps here that know the numbers really good and maybe someone will chime in. I'm glad you are looking into it! So many people don't.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #3

I speak from experience as to buying a tt to fit your tow vehicle. We had a Jayco h19x (hybrid) towing with a Honda pilot. Although the numbers were good the towing experience was not. Also the trailer size for us (2 plus 2 dogs) was cramped at best. The next year we upgraded to a 1 ton diesel and a kz 323rk. Going from a 19 foot box to a 32 foot box has made camping a pleasure. The towing experience has changed dramatically.

Guess the moral of my story is don't settle for a camper you think will work because of your tv. In the long run you'll be better off to bite the bullet and upgrade your tv to fit the tt you want.
gpd2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #4

I know my tongue weight runs between 400 and 450 which my Grand Cherokee which has a similar load limit. No problem with our 195RB for well over 10K of towing. Including several trips over the mountains in Colorado and Utah. Love the walk around bed, bath and just wish there was more storage for food and dishes. We eat, sleep and then go hiking.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpd2111 View Post
I speak from experience as to buying a tt to fit your tow vehicle. We had a Jayco h19x (hybrid) towing with a Honda pilot. Although the numbers were good the towing experience was not. Also the trailer size for us (2 plus 2 dogs) was cramped at best. The next year we upgraded to a 1 ton diesel and a kz 323rk. Going from a 19 foot box to a 32 foot box has made camping a pleasure. The towing experience has changed dramatically.

Guess the moral of my story is don't settle for a camper you think will work because of your tv. In the long run you'll be better off to bite the bullet and upgrade your tv to fit the tt you want.
We are definitely considering going this route as well. Don't really want 2 car payments at the same time, but may be worth it in the long run...
Old 07-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #6

You know your numbers and that can be half of the battle.

The 195RB's GVWR is 3750 pounds. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of the campers total weight. Ideally you would be around 13-14% for the best handling. But for calculation I like to use the 15%, as it is the worse case scenario. That gives you an estimated tongue weight of 563 pounds (3750*0.15= 562.5#)

Now add up all the weight that will be on or in your Pathfinder. Many vehicles pre calculate an average size driver (150#) and a full tank of full into their payload calculations. Anything above that is part of your payload. So how much does your DW , kids, pets, toys, WDH, etc weight. Don't forget kids grow, and bring a lot of stuff with them.

Max;
Payload = 1149#
Estimated tongue weight = 562#
Remaining available additional payload = 586#
It is very common for people to want to keep their actual payload under the 80% listed on the door (919#).
Reduced 80%
Payload = 1149*.80= 919#
Estimated tongue weight = 562#
Remaining available payload = 357#
It is doable, just have to decide how close to max payload you want to be at.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
[...] Many vehicles pre calculate an average size driver (150#) and a full tank of full into their payload calculations. [...]
Generally not correct. Most manufacturers will make a 150 lb allotment to a lineup's maximum available payload. That's a marketing number based on the lowest trim with zero options. It's a way to make an outrageous "look how much I can tow" number.

150 lb allotments are also sometimes given in GCWR and Tow Capacities, but generally not for payload.

The actual vehicle payload will be given on a sticker that reads something like "occupants and cargo should not exceed ________ lbs." Drivers are occupants. Fluids (fuel, oil, etc.) are included ... so you do get that.

I'd scrap any 75%, 80%, 90%, and other rules of thumb. The vehicle's GVWR already has plenty of safety built into the number (and payload is just a proxy for GVWR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefan View Post
[...] we were trying to keep our TT weight under 4000#. [...] so that leaves us looking at the Jay Flight SLX 195RB, which has a GVWR of 3750# [...]
I just wanted to say that that's smart. If a person is trying to stay under a given weight, then that person needs to shop for trailers that have GVWRs under than given weight. Particularly on the smaller trailers, there won't be much CCC and trailers will be pretty much at their GVWRs when rolling down the road.

As I'm fond of saying, looking at dry weights is like asking a 45 year old man how much he weighs and having him reply, "Well, I weighed 150 lbs back in high school."
Fomer RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:42 AM   #8

I pull a 195RB with a 4Runner. A bit heavier vehicle, but similar cargo capacity, probably a bit more torque. It pulls pretty well, although I wouldn't do it without a WDH (I use an Andersen). Can definitely be slow going up long, steep hills, but just be patient.

As to buying a trailer to fit the tow vehicle or the other way, I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I really want my 4Runner when camping to get me places I wouldn't go with any stock truck (don't want to start a debate on that particular topic), nor do I want to buy a larger vehicle for the other 80% of my driving.

We selected the 195RB because it was the ONLY trailer that was reasonably towable by the 4Runner and had the key features we wanted, most importantly the walk around (squeeze around) bed. The clearance of the Baja version has also been valuable for many places we camp. We've been very happy with our decision, now 3 years later and many, many miles.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
I pull a 195RB with a 4Runner. A bit heavier vehicle, but similar cargo capacity, probably a bit more torque. It pulls pretty well, although I wouldn't do it without a WDH (I use an Andersen). Can definitely be slow going up long, steep hills, but just be patient.

As to buying a trailer to fit the tow vehicle or the other way, I think it's really a matter of personal preference. I really want my 4Runner when camping to get me places I wouldn't go with any stock truck (don't want to start a debate on that particular topic), nor do I want to buy a larger vehicle for the other 80% of my driving.

We selected the 195RB because it was the ONLY trailer that was reasonably towable by the 4Runner and had the key features we wanted, most importantly the walk around (squeeze around) bed. The clearance of the Baja version has also been valuable for many places we camp. We've been very happy with our decision, now 3 years later and many, many miles.
Agreed with the above post. I really like the maneuverability of the 4Runner.
Another thing I like about the Jay Flight XLS7 series is that I can see around the camper with the stock mirrors on our 4Runner. No need for mirror extensions.
Fastway E2 Trunnion WDH
deepsea5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:32 PM   #10

So, I think that we may wait just a bit and look for a Truck. I think that if we do that, even with a half ton with a reasonable tow package we could get into something like a JayFeather 25RB.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #11

Towing with Highlander Hybrid

I have 195RB Baja edition. I use 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (Towing capacity = 3500 lb) Payload = 1330 lb.
Recently did a short trip with three adults. It towed fine. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails
20210714_170556.jpg   20210714_170619.jpg   20210724_161438.jpg  
hvp1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvp1962 View Post
I have 195RB Baja edition. I use 2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid (Towing capacity = 3500 lb) Payload = 1330 lb.
Recently did a short trip with three adults. It towed fine. No issues.
I would imagine a short trip, on level terrain, with no emergency braking, you wouldn't have issues. Each of us makes our own decisions, but I would be very cautious about this setup.
Old 08-04-2021, 12:51 PM   #13

Someone on this forum once wrote you can never have too big of a tow vehicle. This is pretty much true. After perhaps 6,000 miles of towing our 3,500" 16XRB our I6 Trailblazer gave up pretty much in the middle of nowhere. A week later we were back on the road again but with a 5.3 Tahoe. Really nice and it pulls through the Rockies and against headwinds in Nebraska and sidewinds in New Mexico. Tow capacity is some mystic formula that defies the math of stated TV and TT weights.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidefan View Post
So, I think that we may wait just a bit and look for a Truck. I think that if we do that, even with a half ton with a reasonable tow package we could get into something like a JayFeather 25RB.
We have the Jayco 185 series (same trailer just cross queen bed and 1/2 foot shorter) We originally towed with 2002 ford v6 and upgraded to a chev with small block V8 ....What a difference !!! No problems on hills and 70 all day on flats Not sure you would enjoy with short wheelbase and small engine ...... By the way WE LOVE OUR 185 RB ....... This trailer was discontinued by Jayco and replaced with same with a slide .. We didnt want a slide so we searched high and low and found this one
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #15

I have a Jayco SLX7 195RB and towed it with a 2007 Chevy Equinox LT with towing capacity of 3500lbs. Once I added WDS it was good on open roads. Hills were slow, but ok.

I've subsequently changed my tow vehicle to a Chevy Colorado 4x4 WT and now its easy to tow the 195RB.
AllysonG-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 07:48 PM   #16

We started with a Hummingbird 16MRB and a 2014 Xterra Pro4x. Simlar to what you are looking at . We always traveled a bit heavy and did lots of camping in Wyoming and mainly offroad in the parks. The Xterra was great with the 4 liter v6 going slow on the dirt roads and 2 tracks , got to camp in some crazy places that way. The interstate was another thing , needed to keep speeds slow (to us around 65 MPH) and it drank lots of gas doing it. We did have WDH and sway control . We eventually bought a 19 Powerwagon and then a 212qbw. Bigger campers are cool, but it depends alot on where you want to camp. Smaller campers and offroad / dispersed camping go hand in hand . Larger 5th wheel and KOA's go hand in hand. Just depends on what you like.
WYO-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote