Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Our first TT was the little X23B which we bought through RV Direct and picked up in Orlando (a 1000 mi trip). We turned it into a short vacation (empty nesters, just the bride and I) which we thoroughly enjoyed.
I fretted over the local/price decision before pulling the trigger but decided to go with the price. Part of that was the local dealer didn't seem to have much Jayco inventory and I didn't come away with a "warm-fuzzy" after visiting them.
We were lucky in that in the 2 yrs we owned it I only had one warranty issue. I called Jayco and after a little discussion (me wanting to avoid a trip to the local dealer) they shipped the replacement part directly to me which I installed. It was almost trivial, replacing the stereo. They had it on my front porch in 2 days and paid to ship the old one back to them. After that nothing went wrong that would justify a warranty claim.
Upgrading to the 5th caused me to re-think and we bought from an almost local dealer. The 5th is a more complicated beast and I felt better knowing I would take it to my "purchased from" dealer if needed.
It's in their shop right now for a few items, the most serious is the front cap which needs a re-paint. A few more weeks will tell if my expectations are met.
I think I stand with the rest of the opinions here in that I'd buy from your local guy since he has a good rep and is pretty close in price.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

I would go local since the dealership has good reviews
You can try to get some more extras...if they wont (cant) lower the price

Keep us posted
GL

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #13

Just saw your profile...where in Florida are you?
What dealership are you looking at?
Got mine at RV One in Tampa--awesome dealership

GL

Tom
2014 Jay Flight Swift 294 BHS
2012 Silverado 2500HD 6.0L
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

jconner, I have a quote for a 2015 QBS with the upgraded AC, elite, aluminum wheels, thermal and cargo receiver for $21,600 (plus tax and tags) from my local dealer. I received a slightly lower quote from RVdirect... but I would have to drive 6 hours there and 6 hours back so save a couple hundred dollars. I think I am somewhere around 65% of MSRP with my quote from the local dealer. Even at 35% off MSRP he is still making a profit. That price involved very minimal negotiation through email... not even in person.

I would encourage you to get a quote from Rvdirect to figure out what a reasonable price for your rig would be, then I would try to negotiate with your local dealer.

RV dealers aren't required to do warranty work if you don't buy from them. Most dealers will do warranty work, but you will wait until they have helped their customers first. That being said, I've heard that Jayco will authorize repair work to independent shops as well as dealers. I wouldn't worry too much about the warranty aspect. The $2000 in price is nothing to ignore, but as others have said you have to weigh the cost and hassle of driving 1000 miles there and back.

I would encourage you to negotiate. A smart dealer will take a smaller profit from a sale then NO PROFIT from NO SALE. There have to be other dealers between you and the 1000 mile away guy that isn't giving you an amazing deal either.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse 823 View Post
Just saw your profile...where in Florida are you?
What dealership are you looking at?
Got mine at RV One in Tampa--awesome dealership

GL

I am in Gainesville. Thanks for the tip! I have talked to a few dealers but enjoyed my experience with Tradewinds the best so far.
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 PM   #16

I would like to thank everyone for their amazing information and advice. I will indeed see if they can move more on the price. Prior to my first posts here, I read through many many threads on this forum and am blown away by the support network you all provide. This was a MAJOR reason for my decision to go with Jayco . Thanks again!
jconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyadamn View Post
if I buy used does that mean I am at the back of the line?
Quite the opposite. If you bought used, there is no warranty and you would be paying cash for any service therefore you would be at the front of the line.

OP -- this is a very easy decision for me. There is no way I would travel that distance for very marginal savings. My time is worth is worth a lot.
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #18

Like they say: Might be best to buy from the local dealer.
I would give it one more shot at trying the get the local do a little better on his price.
You are going to need some service somewhere along the line, a good dealer means good service.
Good Luck!
linkbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

Look at BATESRV in Tampa. They have some very competitive pricing and are not that far from you. Looks like you have about made up your mind and received a lot of info. I have always used the RV Direct approach for a good baseline price and taken that to my dealer. He has always come close to or matched their price. I am on my third purchase from a dealer about an hour away. I have only had to leave my unit there for one warranty repair job. The other times, I have pulled in and they have done the repair work right then, and on the spot. One time even included cutting a hole in the front basement storage to remove the furnace to replace a control board that was bad from the factory. Put me ahead of everyone else and did it right then while I waited in the showroom. Each of us has our own opinion and for good reasons. I just love my local dealer.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:25 AM   #20

We bought a thousand miles from home and saved a couple thousand dollars, but being retired the travel time was unimportant. In fact, it put us a thousand miles closer to DW's family back east, so we integrated the pickup into a visit back there.

All that being said, we were lucky that no warranty work was required. Near the end of the 2-year warranty we had two minor issues to fix. Only one dealer in our entire metro area was willing to do that work. And they had us wait two months.

In the future I'd work very hard on price and make every effort to buy "locally," which for us is still a 300 mile round trip for Jayco products.

If I read your post right, OP, you haven't made a counter offer. Don't expect a dealer to give you his best price, no matter how much he may claim they have given up. I operate on the idea that if I reach a price at which a car/RV dealer agrees, I'm probably paying too much.

cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote