Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #1

First time EVER using a TT, so what did I need?

You all were very helpful letting me know about the battery disconnect. (This sight is going to be my best friend!) Bought one and it's on the way. I have purchased a white water hose, the blue toilet packets, 2 wheel chocks, RV toilet paper, a pair of leveler gauges. I need to buy/find some wooden blocks for under the 4 leveling jacks. My TT came with a black/grey water hose. What other basic essential equipment do I need before taking this out Friday? Our first trip will be to a state park here in Ohio. It's a pull-through, full hook-up sight at a park only an hour from my house, so we're trying to keep this from being stressful. (We have 4 kids, so everything is stressful.)
norwalkmom1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #2

Big Camping List

Load into Camper Prior to Trip

□ Cash (money)
□ Jayco manuals and folder
□ Eye glasses and contacts
□ Metal detectors and extra batteries
□ Clothes (pants, shirts, underwear, socks, coats, jackets, hats, etc.)
□ Iphones and Ipad (chargers for all)
□ Cannon camera and charger
□ Fishing equipment (if near a lake) and fishing license
□ Sun tan lotion
□ Rain coats
□ Ear plugs
□ Maps, GPS (power cords, miniature speaker and power cord) for long trips
□ Matches/lighter
□ Rubber gloves (heavy and light)
□ Measuring tape
□ Personal knife
□ BBQ pit, charcoal, electric pit lighter, cooking utensils - put in truck
□ Long and short extension cords
□ Orange safety cones
□ Folding table - put in truck
□ Lawn chairs - put in truck
□ Sewer and both water hoses
□ Step stool
□ Our medications and medical info
□ Deck of cards, Uno, Mexican Train, Puzzles
□ Cups and mugs
□ Plates and bowls
□ Utensils
□ Dinner knives
□ Mixing bowls and spoons
□ Pot and pans
□ Matches and lighter
□ Cleaning supplies, sponges
□ Napkins, paper towels and clean rags
□ Dish soap, bathing soap, hair shampoo and conditioner, etc.
□ Wash cloths (4), shower towels (4), and hand towels (4)
□ Tupperware, Ziplocks bags and/or aluminum foil
□ Can opener
□ Mosquito and chigger repellant
□ Tool box, bucket, rope
□ First aid kit
□ Flashlight (check batteries)
□ Toilet paper, paper towels, Kleenex
□ Fan for noise at some campgrounds
□ Mugs - cold and hot
□ Pillows, sheets, blanket

Basic Food Items
□ Cooking oil
□ Salt, pepper, spices
□ Bread
□ Milk
□ Sausage
□ Coffee
□ Orange juice
□ Espresso coffee<br />
□ Beans
□ Lettuce
□ Tomatoes
□ Mayonnaise
□ Luncheon meat
□ Soups
□ Jelly
□ Honey
□ Sugar (or substitute)
□ Diet Rite
□ Butter
□ Steak, hamburger meat
□ Cereal
□ Ketchup
□ Mustard
□ Syrup
□ Salsa
□ Jello or apple sauce
□ Bean dip
□ Fritos
□ Oats
□ Pickles
□ Peanuts
□ Bananas
□ Salad dressing
□ Cheese
□ Eggs
□ Hamburger meat, steak, chicken
□ Bottle water (medium and gallons)
□ Bag of ice

Mechanical Check List
□ Check tires, torque wheel lugs, outside running and backup lights, brake lights
□ Turn on refrigerator the day before trip to cool and load food day of trip
□ Check 12 v battery charge
□ Cover outside openings to keep rats and bugs out.
□ Check all fluids, tires, etc. on truck
□ Close all vents (oven) and windows if opened
□ Put away all loose items inside trailer
□ Turn off furnace while traveling
□ Turn off propane while traveling, unless being used by refrigerator
□ Sanitize clean water system
□ Latch drawers, cabinets, and doors
□ Turn off interior lights and appliances
□ Disconnect cable for TV and lower the TV antenna
□ Retract slide-out
□ Refrigerator - set to gas or turn off
□ Turn off water heater and two switches on panel
□ Empty black and grey holding tanks
□ Retract awning and secure for transport
□ Retract steps
□ Retract leveling jacks and blocks
□ Water hose and electric cord unhooked and stored
□ Lock both doors
□ Clean off slide out
□ Walk around ; is everything stored, compartments closed & LOCKED before traveling.
□ Test brakes during slow travel, turn on Ford truck Tow Haul and Sway Control
□ Return Home - unload all food, open refrigerator door (baking soda), remove all trash and clean sink, bathroom etc. Remove sheets and other items that need to be washed. Open all cabinets and drawers.
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Norwalkmom1975,

Welcome to JOF

I guess if I were to add anything to your list it might be a spare 25ft. shore power 30amp extension cord (unless your Eagle TT uses a 50amp power cable)....., not uncommon for the the location of the shore power post at the campsite to be a little further then the 30amp power cord that comes with the TT.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #4

Man, this list of stuff must weigh as much as the trailer... Pick and choose carefully

It's a great list though

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:47 PM   #5

Sorry, didn't mean to imply you NEEDED all that crap! It was just a list I used. It helps me think through all the possibilities of what we might be doing and make sure I'm not forgetting the obvious (ie: going swimming? Take extra towels!) I'd have to have a semi follow us if I took the whole list!!
Tpratt83687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #6

With each trip you will learn what you should have taken. All our must haves are different.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:44 AM   #7

Somewhere to write the things you wished you had packed it need to fix for next time. I cannot remember a trip there wasn't at least something. I have a spreadsheet I print off as my packing list. We bring that with us and leave it in the glove compartment. Your packing list is dynamic.
bbarba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

I would make sure I had a water pressure regulator. Somewhere a long the way, I would upgrade the sewer hose over the one the dealer gave you. The kids will have a blast.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Site Team

... And if you have any pets and/or children camping with you, you'll have a another, separate check list just for them. In my case, I have one for our cat.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #10

I find that I don't need a lot of the stuff I originally packed in my hybrid TT. So I have reorganized and removed things I haven't used in 6 trips. Makes it easier to find the things I really want to use and I like the additional empty space for other stuff I may want to put in there in the future.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:05 AM   #11

Everyone's response here is great.. Expect the first few times out to be a bit daunting if you have never camped or at least camped in a TT. After 1 year with a popup and 3 trips out with the new TT (bought in January), I can honestly say that we can be out the door within the hour. Only things we now have to actually place into the camper is clothing, food, drink and disposables. (paper plates, napkins, etc.).. Don't feel bad if you forget something, happens to seasoned campers as well. Very important this is to also have a setup and pre-travel list as well. There are a few posts on the site about that. Thinks like setting your wheel chocks first, don't forget to lower your antenna...

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #12

For the essentials with full-hookups, I've prepared a basic list in the order of need upon your arrival at the campground site:

(note: before departing, sanitize the water system and check all wheel lugs)

A. Parking the Trailer.

1. Wood blocks for placing under the tires to level the trailer side-to-side (if necessary);

2. Leveler gauge(s) for determining if trailer is level;

3. Wheel chocks for preventing the trailer from moving (put in place before disconnecting from tow vehicle);

4. Wood blocks for the trailer tongue jack (e.g., a couple of 2x8s);

5. Wood blocks for placing under the (4) four leveling jacks;

Comment: for nos. (1) and (5), go to a big box hardware store and have them cut a couple of 2x4s (10ft or 12ft in length) into one (1) ft blocks.

B. Water Hook-Up

6. Water Pressure Regulator for attaching directly to park/site water faucet (this protects the water lines in your trailer);

7. Two (2) white water hoses (plan on two hoses b/c sometimes the water faucet is "conveniently" placed some distance from your city water inlet connection);

8. A 90-degree angle water elbow for attaching to your trailer city water inlet connection (this provides a more stable connection and reduces stress on the inlet connection);

9. A water filter (a basic (blue) one can be found at most walmarts) for inserting in-line between the white water hose and the 90-degree angle water elbow;

10. A package of two (2) nylon hot water drain plugs as a preventive measure (see, for example, http://tweetys.com/drainplug918572ca...FckWMgodO1QADQ) -- never use a metal drain plug;

Comment: before turning on the water, open a cold and hot water faucet farthest from city water inlet connection to allow the air inside the water lines to escape)

C. Electrical Hook-Up

11. A 30amp-120V adapter (see pic at bottom) used in conjunction with circuit tester (see, for example, http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19483, post #4) to test the electrical circuit at the pedestal;

Comment: before making any connections to the electrical pedestal, turn OFF all circuit breakers on the pedestal. Then connect the 30amp-120V adapter to the 30amp connection on the pedestal; turn ON the 30 amp circuit breaker. Next, insert the circuit tester into the 30amp-120V adapter and ensure that there are no electrical errors. If all is good, turn OFF the 30-amp circuit breaker, remove the adapter and circuit tester, and then attach your 30amp electrical cord to pedestal; finally, turn ON the circuit breaker. In general, state parks (such as where you are going) are usually wired correctly so you shouldn't find any errors, but it is good practice to always check before plugging-in. If errors found, move to a different site. In the future, you might want to consider adding an electrical management system (EMS), but I consider the EMS beyond the basic essentials; same consideration for a digital voltmeter.

12. Spare automotive blade-type fuses (take a peek at your power panel and see what type of fuses you need -- e.g., 5, 10, 15, and 20amp fuses);

D. Trailer Usage

13. Two (2) small carpets for reducing dirt/wear-n-tear on trailer flooring. Place one carpet on ground underneath trailer steps; place the other on flooring adjacent to door opening;

14. RV toilet paper;

15. Spare light bulbs;

E. Departure

16. Torque wrench (eg. 120 ft-lbs) for ensuring that the lugs are properly tightened. I recommend this as an "essential," but many do not. It is good practice (if not highly recommended) to check all wheel lugs before departing.

17. A clear drain adapter for attaching to the drain tube (for the grey and black water tanks) on the trailer, where the sewer/drain hose is attached to the clear drain adapter (this will allow you to know whether the tanks are clean upon draining); see, for instance, http://www.dyersonline.com/rv-plumbi...-adapters.html

Comment: even though you'll have full hook-ups, do NOT leave the black tank drain valve pulled out (ie, open) while camping. Doing so will allow solid items to become affixed to the side/bottom of the black holding tank, and in turn, create problems. Keep the black tank valve closed during camping and only open when departing.

18. A drain/sewer hose;

19. Disposable gloves for use during the dump station drill or on-site sewer;

20. A garden hose for rinsing the drain/sewer hose and related components (also, depending upon your trailer, the hose is handy for attaching to an integrated black water tank flushing connection); and

21. Black water holding tank treatment (I've had good success with Oxy-Kem but there are others; see http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oxy-Kem-Ho...-12pk/16647988).

Enjoy your first camping trip! If you need help when at your site, don't be afraid to ask other campers for assistance.
Attached Images

Iota DLS-55, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C, Trimetric TM-2025

WIBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

I learned many years ago to keep calm and carry a credit card. There aren't many problems that can't be fixed with a Wally World and a Visa card. I used to panic and try to think of every little thing I might need; I'd keep myself up at night for days before a big trip thinking about everything I would forget. After many years and much practice, I learned to calm down; if I don't have what I need, I can probably buy it.

I also came up with a strategy: if I can't fix it with the basic tools I carry, I reevaluate whether it must be fixed RFN. Can I get by without it? Is there an alternate solution? If it must be fixed and there's no alternate solution, I find the closest store that might have what I need and make a "parts run" (assuming I can fix it at all, most problems that would require a parts run will also require professional assistance!). I also learned to carry some cash and keep a little notebook with me at all times to jot things down that I might forget.

IMHO, the lists and items mentioned here are absolutely fantastic. But the most important items you can bring on any RV trip are not available in stores:

1) A level head (don't panic, rationally evaluate the problem and formulate a solution, the "blame game" will get you nowhere)
2) A can-do attitude (we can fix this, and I will not let it ruin our trip)
3) A willingness and propensity to create unconventional solutions (duct tape?)
4) A good sense of humor (try to see the humor in your misery, you'll likely laugh about it later anyway)
5) A credit card with a high limit

Don't get me wrong, I still pack a lot of stuff! And I have an assortment of laminated checklists. I just don't let the potential of forgetting something weigh too heavy on my mind...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 02:59 PM   #14

You might find that the drain hose that came with the camper stinks... er, is not very good.

DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #15

So many good things here.....I missed many when I went the first time and the last time. I have only went 3 times....once with the dog, did not bring his food, he enjoyed a treat that he never gets, can food! I forgot my pillows on my last trip....bought pillows to leave there now!

I did buy a regulator and a good 30amp surge protector along with an up graded sewer hose. I also bought roof vents to install on my vents so that I can let the hot air escape this summer. I'm going to buy spare fuses and hot water tank plugs. I got a camp mat for cheap until I build the patio. I got a fold up table to set up my out door kitchen on come summer time.....many more things to buy and change I'm sure.

I have used this site as a resource and will keep doing so as I'm a newbie when it comes to a TT as I never had one....and last camped in a tent 20 plus years ago!

Dollar stores have became my favorite places to shop for all the things you need.

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #16

My list must include ice cold adult beverages.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkeMark View Post
My list must include ice cold adult beverages.

That was at the top of the first list

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:38 AM   #18

Thank you for all of these tips - we pick up our trailer on Friday and are headed to a close by state park for it's first trip. We are both VERY nervous as neither of us has experience with anything other than a tent!
MtnPlayVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
IMHO, the lists and items mentioned here are absolutely fantastic. But the most important items you can bring on any RV trip are not available in stores:
1) A level head (don't panic, rationally evaluate the problem and formulate a solution, the "blame game" will get you nowhere)
2) A can-do attitude (we can fix this, and I will not let it ruin our trip)
3) A willingness and propensity to create unconventional solutions (duct tape?)
4) A good sense of humor (try to see the humor in your misery, you'll likely laugh about it later anyway)
5) A credit card with a high limit
Absolutely perfect! Think back to your tent-camping or back-packing days ... you got along with very little! Like others have noted, don't obsess ~ strive to get out of the house in less than an hour so your get-away is exactly that, fun and not drudge.

We lived in Europe so did a fair amount of tent-camping; we camped once by the side of the Danube with a gaggle of fun-loving gypsies, and another time in Vienna - camping very rustically next to us was a family from some eastern-bloc country. With rudimentary German as the only way to communicate for both sides, we learned their little put-put car (for which there are no repair parts) was broken-down and he was asking if we had some wire BUT we had something better ~ duct tape! Wow, he used the whole roll patching this-and-that and was thrilled when we sent him on his way with a couple more rolls. So ... don't get your knickers-in-knots worrying over the trip, use those 5 hints above, laugh at your misses, and build great memories (like the ones I shared here)!

BTW, right now our hot-water heater is down as we wait for Jayco warranty repair approval, but that won't change our upcoming plans for Yosemite. So long as there are public restrooms/showers and a spigot for water, we'll do fine. Just like when you tent-camped, those sleeping bags will keep you warm at night and do all your cooking and washing outside of the rig.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:14 AM   #20

ME TOO - The information, advice and lists on this thread are really great for me too.

TOTAL NEWBIE here. Just purchased a 2016 Jay Feather X17Z and looking forward to our first trip this fall in October to one of the beautiful National Parks in southern Utah about 200 miles away. Hoping to take an overnight test run before then closer by in the mountains. Took a bit to get ready to go and get a brake controller installed between the car and trailer dealer. Finally got that done this past week so we should be ready. (Teknonsha Prodigy P2 unit).

The information here is great for me too. Lots of camping back in the day (but not recently) and never with a TT. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as well.