Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #1

First time full hook ups

Hi there, I dry camped first 2 times. Had a fabulous time. I’m going to Smithers and have full hook ups at the site. Do I need to have water in my tank? It’s full cuz I had to do some trouble shooting. All fixed and I’m ready to leave this Friday. Should I drain the water tank? When I hook up to city water, do I still need to use water pump? Do I turn on my water heater after hooking up to city water?

Thanks

T
Gadget13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #2

When you use the city water connection you will want to connect that with a water pressure regulator sometimes the city water pressure is pretty high and could cause a leak or even worse burst a pipe, but when that is hooked up to your fresh water connection you do not need to use the water pump. It bypasses all of that as for the water tank I always leave at least a little water in it.
JSCinci2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 PM   #3

As for the water heater don’t turn it on until until it is full, if it is empty when you turn on the city water it will fill it on it’s own just run both cold and hot water faucets to let the air out.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #4

Thank you. I have a water filter and a regulator. Does it matter where you hook it up? Like in what order?
Old 07-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #5

I put my regulator on before the hose at the water faucet and my filter at the trailer connection.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #6

My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget13 View Post
snip... have full hook ups at the site. Do I need to have water in my tank? No
...snip...
Should I drain the water tank? No need for that
When I hook up to city water, do I still need to use water pump? No. As previously mentioned, a water pressure regulator is a good idea.
Do I turn on my water heater after hooking up to city water? Yes. As previously mentioned, you could turn on one of the hot faucets just to be sure the water heater is full of water.

Thanks

T
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

Thank you!!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #8

Yup, concur with the other posts with a comment.....As far as water tanks and running full, I don't really see any difference in gas mileage or towing characteristics with my TV, however I am adding almost 800 lbs to my trailer. I've run low water if I know I'm heading for sites with water, if not, the last one I fill my tanks..... as for running bone empty, a friend of mine did until one day he wife needed to use the restroom with none in sight except their trailer....with no water.... now he always keep some in the tank just for those emergencies or as he put it in case there is a problem with the radiator and after plugging it he has to refill to get him somewhere.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:57 AM   #9

I also always travel with enough water in the fresh water take for stops along the road. My one suggestion, espcially if this is your first time using a city water connection, open all your faucets before you connect. When you turn the water on have the DW turn off one at a time and look for leaks under the sink. We did this our first time out and discovered leaks in two fittings that didn't show up when using the water pump.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote