Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2019, 04:14 AM   #1

First time RVer

We are awaiting delivery of a 2020 Jayco JayFlight 28BHS. We are tent campers, this will be our first RV. We are needing advice on which dump hoses to purchase, (I have heard all sorts of horrible war stories at dump sites), which portable waste holding tank to purchase, (I want to be able to pull it with my pickup). Which anti sway kit to purchase. Please feel free to add anything you know, that will make our adjustment from tents to RVs easier.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:26 AM   #2

We will also have Kona, our Chocolate Lab with us. Any advice for making her "camping experience" pleasurable will be appreciated. We live in Delaware and want to on the water. Any info on good sites will be appreciated. We love Assateague Island state park, but the last few years, we haven't been able to get a space.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Jayco.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

A power surge protector at the power pole is now a very wise tool to use.

I have for ten years used Walmart stinky slinky, replace every other year and works for me. However the attachments are another story. Screw on type connectors for both end of the stinky slinky are a good thing and a transparent connector at the RV dump connection is a good thing (monitor for a clean flow).

The honeywagon size should equal or exceed the size of the black tank and hieght is important, it need to fit under the connection(s). Regardless of the type of honeywagon always dump prior to a full tank (don't ask me why).

A handle grab for the screen door is a good thing for $10.00 (Amazon).

A set of "Dog-bone" electrical connectors for the power pole. 50amp to 30amp is primary. 50amp pole power breakers are better (less used), I have all 50amp to 30amp, 50amp to 20amp, and 30amp to 50amp.

A good lubricant for all valve stems, door hinges/locks is a good thing

And don't forget to grease the axel bearings. I do mine twice a year and recommend to everyone to do it after taking delivery.

PS Keep those questions coming....
Attached Thumbnails
0429151124a.jpg   blackwater drain without rubber boot.jpg   Surge Guard.jpg  
Attached Images

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
Site Team

Welcome from Western NY!

There are a lot of very good weight distribution hitches that have antisway built in. Our WDH is an Equalizer brand.

We installed a screen door guard to keep our fur baby from trying to exit a closed door. Something he normally wouldn't do, unless he sees a squirrel outside!
https://www.overtons.com/screen-door...SABEgLgivD_BwE
This is what we installed.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #6

On the question of the dog. Start while at home. Whenever you go out to work, load, etc. in and around the RV have the lab along. Take a favorite blanket or bed and put it in the trailer somewhere. Lots of treats.

Consider driveway camping for a night or two. Great way to find out what you forgot or didn't think you would need.

When you get there try going for a walk as soon as you have backed in with lots of stops to sniff. Especially on the first few camp-outs consider treating the dog as number one in the sense of keeping it entertained. As it gets used to RV travel it should just accept your trailer as part of home.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #7

Welcome from Wisconsin and enjoy your 2020 Jayco JayFlight 28BHS. If you want a quality sewer hose take a look at Rhinoflex.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:11 PM   #8

Welcome to the forum and congratulations.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #9

My suggestion would be whatever the brand, make sure you have two sewer hoses and an extension cord for your trailer. Nothing worse than getting parked and halfway into your setup process when you realize your hose or power cord is an inch short. When I had a 27BHS, I used the Equalizer with 4 point sway control. It was great. My suggestion would be to get the one rated for a 1200lb tongue weight if you load heavy. We had ours loaded close to max, and the tongue weight was right around a 1000lb. The 1200 hitch allowed a lot less trailer movement than the 1000 hitch.
bearcat77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:18 AM   #10

Congrads on the new tt !

We had 2 labs they both liked camping as long as we were in the tt. Our black lab was fine when we left them. Our yellow not so much we ended having to get some meds so we could leave him alone.

We use the equalizer wd/sway and love it !we have had the same sewer hose for 3 years with no issues nothing special. We went with the camo rhino 21 gallon fits great in the bed of truck along with 2 bikes.

Safe travels we love it !

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 08:34 AM   #11

You got some good advice here.

Sewer hose: I've had the same Rhino Flex since 2011. I'm on my 3rd trailer in that same time.

Surge protector at a minimum. The EMS units are better protection (high/low voltage cutoffs, etc.). Campground electricity is notoriously bad. I use Progressive Industries EMS units. Good product with good warranty support.

Portable waste tank: I borrowed a Barker 4-wheel from a friend for a trip. I bought a Tote-n-Stor 2-wheel for myself for half the price of the Barker and it has performed flawlessly for about 5 years. Both are quality units and work as intended. However, I am about to buy a Barker 4-wheel for myself...the 32-gallons of wastewater must weigh somewhere between 8 and 9 tons and is not fun to move or hook to the truck when full. Regardless of which tank you go with, I would recommend limiting it to grey water, only.

Weight distribution and sway control are important. I've had great service from Equalizer brand hitches. Make sure you read the manual and know how to set it up. You can almost guarantee the dealer will not set it correctly and that alone can make or break your camping experience.

Have fun! There's a lot of good stuff on this forum.
2016 GMC 2500HD CrewCab SLT 4x4 Duramax
smithmdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote