Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #1

First time TT owners

Hello all-

We are trading in our jayco popup Tuesday for a jayco 264bhw Any tips or suggestions for us when we go through our PDI? Thank you!
Brutusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome! Run a search for a PDI checklist as there is a great one on the forum somewhere. My recommendation, take your time and make sure you understand how everything works, including your hitch, before you leave the dealership.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

That's a lot more trailer than your popup. Be sure your weight distribution hitch and anti-sway function is setup correctly. Get the manual and check it over when you get home to be sure the dealer got it right... sometimes they don't.

If you read through posts on this site, you'll find that new owners are very disappointed when they find something doesn't work when they go camping or get home. Make them demonstrate that things work.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:41 PM   #4

I would recommend doing a video recording of the PDI. That way you can review it later if you have questions. Have the dealer tell you how to do it and then do it yourself.

Spend at least one day and night in your driveway to figure out what else you need. Then take a tablet with you on your first road trip to write down other things that you determine are needed.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #5

We also went from a pop up to a 284bhsw SLX and love it ! If I could go back in time and pick up the trailer again I would of asked for the tt to be hooked up to electric and water. Make sue even the little things work for example the radio. Look at every detail including the decals. I am lucky and have a good dealer who has dealt with every issue and never kept the tt more then a week. I have been told the dealership will make the difference in the owners being happy or frustrated with the purchase. I could not agree more.

Congratds and good luck were on pace for 30 nights in the tt !

Ps costco has a queen topper for the bed for $139 it's a good investment

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:56 PM   #6

If you find anything wrong, don't take the trailer home 'till they fix it. Once they have your money...
Old 07-31-2017, 01:25 AM   #7

Congrats and welcome.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:04 AM   #8

We have the 264 BHW and love it. In fact, I'm writing this reply while sitting in ours right now!

A few notes: First, keep in mind this TT is a recreational RV--sounds redundant, I know, but it's not meant for full-timing but for truly recreational use, as the lit points out. Second, speaking of lit, be sure to take time soon before you hit the road to read through all the literature that comes with the trailer--even though experience is a great teacher for "muscle memory" on how to do things, the head knowledge helps so that you have a mental grasp of all the TT's systems and features. Third, plan a short shakedown cruise before your first big trip so you can get set up routine down and iron out any kinks. Fourth, I'm sure you've done ample research, but just be as sure as you can before you sign on the line that this TT is "the one for you all."

As for the dealer demo...
* Ditto on insisting to have the trailer plugged in--at least to electric. Water is a simpler matter to test at home with a hose. But so much depends on the electric. At the same time, be sure the battery is on full charge, too, while you're there. Turn on every button and check every appliance (even the heater even though it's summer!) Be sure the fridge is working on gas and on electric. So that means asking for full propane tanks (most TTs come with that, but ask to be sure). Our only issue was the fridge not working, and it took working with a tech over the phone unsuccessfully then just luck on my own to find a wire disconnected in service panel on outside of rig. I'm sure if we had tested at the dealer we would have found the wire sooner.
* Open every door and drawer to check fit and closures. Poke your head into every nook and cranny--we do that with cars, so it should be with RVs. If you see excess saw dust, something is too loose, or there are loose or missing screws, point those out and ask about them being fixed prior to taking delivery. We didn't have any of those issues, but others have, so be proactive.
* Test the mattresses for comfort. We found our kids were quite comfy on their bunks, but we less so on the queen. It took a padded mattress cover and a foam topper to put it right. Just be aware of things that dealer can't control but you'll perhaps need to address to make the TT "yours."
* Check tire inflation. Should be full capacity (usually 50 PSI). Dealers are notorious for underinflation which is hard on tires. Also, be aware that tires from factory are usually of low quality. Expect no more than 5-10K on them before replacing.

That's probably more than you wanted, but there it is.

TK
tdk2765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:34 PM   #9

Hi,
We purchased our Jayco 23MRB last November. Total Neebees! I used this checklist from Changing Gears; they encourage owners to copy it. RV Inspection Checklist. I researched my purchase for 6 months and found this list to be the most complete I'd seen. Good luck!
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 03:43 PM   #10

Congrats on your new Jayco and welcome to the forum. TDK2765 gave you some great areas to look. Also check out the shower to make sure the plastic shower wall is not separating. This, in turn, breaks the caulking seal between the shower tub and the plastic shower wall. Also, check out the shower floor, there is a tendency to be soft spots (no support underneath) around the shower drain. Take a good hard look at all of the upholstery. I am sure others will have additional ideas.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM   #11

good info on here.

i'll second the PDI checklist on this forum. I will also suggest a short close to home trip as your first to shake out all the ghosts!
Old 08-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #12

Congrats and welcome!