Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento_R6 View Post
We already have our first trip booked for May and we are going with some friends who have a couple of seasons under their belts so I am leaning on them a lot for advice and help. And we are only about 45mins or so away.
We were where you are a little over a year ago. Our first outing was to an RV park 30 minutes away, not far from our dealer and close to Walmart. Got a pull-through space and stayed two nights. Learned a lot and only needed to go to Wmart once for things we needed. Even with friends, I’d suggest you do a short shakedown before May if possible. It’s worth it.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #22

Welcome to jof ! We have the same tt but a 2017 and we love it ! Lots of when it’s just the 2 of but big enough to sleep grown kids.

2017 Jay Flight 284 BHSW SLX
2014 F150 XLT 4x4 quad cab
2018 Ford F150 XLT Sport 4x4
2020 Ford F-150 Ltd Sport max tow
equalizer wd/sway
Redwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:17 PM   #23

You've probably had folks suggest you spend the first overnight in your driveway or close by, but that's my offering to you.

DW just suggested joining a RV camping group. Good Sam has a network of them. We got into one and made good friends and got a lot of education when we were newbies.

Ihope you enjoy your camper as much as we have ours.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:30 AM   #24

My quick hits:

- Put notebook on kitchen table with a pen to jot down your "list"...you will need it
- Buy the small in fridge fan from Amazon or Camp WOrld...best gadget yet for good fridge performance
- Hook on and go to a large parking lot and practice turning around light poles, backing between imaginary markers (cones work, boxes, anything really)
- Backing trick I learned 30 years ago. Put your hand on the bottom (6 o'clock) spot of your steering wheel. Move your hand in the direction you want the trailer to go!
- Get some large plastic tubs that fit in your storage spaces. Protects the floor
- Hitch compatibility- I think they all work, some just like to pinch the safety chains (ask me how I know) and you may need to simply add some length to the chains, but I think any proper hitch will work.

Greg
The old- 2001 Jayco Qwest
The new- 2018 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2018 F-150 Ecoboost
vwprostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:49 AM   #25

Welcome to the JOF from South Georgia and congrats on the new rig. A wealth of information resides here and a lot can be found on you tube videos. Enjoy and make many memories.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:36 PM   #26

Congratulations, welcome to the group, you will learn a lot here on this site.
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #27

Welcome to JOF and yes you will do fine I think all of us were a little nervous at first.
MNWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #28

When we bought our first trailer last year I spent a lot of time watching Youtube videos on setting up and breaking down an RV camp. There are also some videos on common newbie mistakes that are worth watching.

The trailer you are getting has a normal coupler with a 2 5/8" ball. It will fit the WDH you are looking at.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator View Post
When we bought our first trailer last year I spent a lot of time watching Youtube videos on setting up and breaking down an RV camp. There are also some videos on common newbie mistakes that are worth watching.

The trailer you are getting has a normal coupler with a 2 5/8" ball. It will fit the WDH you are looking at.

Yea I’ve been watching so many videos my wife is making fun.

Thank you I’ve been worried about that.
Vento_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #30

First timer

Welcome - like others have said there is a ton of good information on this site and others like it!

My only advise - don't be afraid of towing the trailer, it wont help! Believe in yourself.

I started towing Travel trailers at 16 - my dad said it would be good for me, Mom was not so sure. I made some mistakes but I learned a lot on that trip. I hit everything from flat land to mountain passes! If it was my turn to drive I drove - Dad never took me out of the drivers seat regardless of the conditions - he just talked me through them. I will be forever great full to him for that trip! Now 40 years later I am on my 6th travel trailer and loving every minute on the road.

Take your time and enjoy the trip!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 04:46 AM   #31

Congratulations!!

2 things I wished I learned before embarking on our maiden voyage.

1) how to backup the trailer while hitched. I actually LEARNED after three trips, and after pulling down a one way dead end and having to back out on a busy street where my wife had to stop traffic and I almost backed into a ditch. Now Im confident, after learning from a friend.

2) properly emptying the black tanks. Luckily the rving community is awesome and the guy behind me assisted. I reccomend getting gloves as part of your initial supply shopping trip.

I wouldnt trade the learning curve for anything, nothings better than getting the TT out, yet nothings worse than winterizing for the season.

Come on spring!!!
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:09 PM   #32

Have fun

Don't be nervous, take your time a day go explore
Rnightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM   #33
Joy

Vento...
Welcome! And congratulations on your new TT. BEFORE you purchase the WDH or sway hitch, figure out what type coupler you have on the TT. I was informed incorrectly by the dealer and Jayco and it costs many months of frustration, not to mention bloody and almost broken wrists! I was told I needed the “STANDARD” HITCH, when in fact I needed the “UNDERSLUNG” HITCH. I am finally satisfied and towing well after getting the right type hitch from Blue Ox Sway Pro.
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #34

Use an Equalizer brand hitch. Everything is included, does sway control, lots of them being sold.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #35

Quote:
My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a travel trailer for a few years now we finally pulled the thing this week. We bought a 2019 Jayco Jayflight SLX8 284bhs. Just trying to learn as much about the whole seen as I can. I’ve never towed a trailer before, I am a little nervous but a few friends tell me I’ll be fine. Plan on doing a mix of full hookup and dry. Just wanted to introduce myself and get as much info as I can. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum!

I have been hauling a 5th wheel trailer of all sorts
since the mid 1980’s and I’m always learning things
and refining other things that I have learned years ago.

Our last purchase was a 38’ 2018 Jayco North
Point 5th wheel and was having issues with the
40K BTU furnace blowing breakers and sending
much unwanted dust inside the trailer.
I installed some 3M purified cloth on the inside
area of the cold return looveref vent to catch dirt,
dust and pet hair before it reached the heater.
It WORKED - and I’m a happy camper.😏
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #36

Click image for larger version

Name:	-8894112461731160288_IMG_1466.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	47348

Finally picked it up can’t wait to use it now!
Vento_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #37

Congrats on the new Jayco.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #38

Quote:
My wife and I have been tossing around the idea of getting a travel trailer for a few years now we finally pulled the thing this week. We bought a 2019 Jayco Jayflight SLX8 284bhs. Just trying to learn as much about the whole seen as I can. I’ve never towed a trailer before, I am a little nervous but a few friends tell me I’ll be fine. Plan on doing a mix of full hookup and dry. Just wanted to introduce myself and get as much info as I can. Thanks
Welcome to the group, Vento! I have a 2017 Jayco 27 White Hawk 27 DSRL and pull with a 2016 Dodge Ram Rebel with 5.7 Hemi. The main thing for me was safety when pulling when I first got mine. So I purchased a Weight Distribution Hitch with Anti-Sway Bar and a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System). I also bought an RV Trailer Camper Electrical Management Hardwire System to protect my RV from surges to my electrical system. :-) I also carry an extra water pump, in case the installed one goes bad. There are so many other things to consider, but those are the main ones. Another necessity are levels for your RV, so when you setup once you have arrived, you can level it and put tire jacks before unhooking your tow vehicle. I put one level (stick on) front center and another one on the passenger side - middle so that my better half can tell me when it is level :-)
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #39
75H

Vento_R6,

The single best purchase I made back in the TT days was an electric tongue jack. No comparison to constantly having to crank up & down & on & off. Don't wait 5 years like I did!

2018 Greyhawk 29MVP
75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:29 PM   #40

When reversing your trailer the best advice I can offer is if not sure, remember
1: GOAL Get Out And Look.
2: take your time, you’re on vacation so no need to hurry!
3: when reversing (this worked for me at least) keep your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel, and whichever direction you want your trailer to go push that way on the steering wheel.
Good luck and enjoy!
Kiwimg is offline   Reply With Quote