Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-24-2019, 06:35 AM   #41

Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the forum!

After 50 years of tent camping and a year tryout with a "struggleup" we spent three years looking for the perfect trailer for us and we found it.

A shakedown camp with experienced friends was a great way to learn the basics. We learned three things that have made camping easy and enjoyable. Keep ice cream in the freezer. Remember you're towing a bathroom. Throw all toilet paper in a separate small garbage bag. We use orange newspaper bags and tie 'em off as needed. Watch for tree limbs coming, setting up, and leaving.

We wash dishes in a basin that fits perfectly in the sink. All greasy water or anything that might cause the grey tank to smell gets poured in the toilet - easy two steps away in our little rig. : ) And speaking of black tank - organic waste only and you can never have too much liquid in it.

Reading and watching videos is helpful, but use it to brainstorm and gather ideas. Set up the basics, but see what you actually need or would like to have as you gain experience. A refrig fan and electric post tester and surge guard are basic, big heavy black rubber gloves for the black tank are not. Get a few boxes of Harbor Freight blue nitrile gloves - they work for everything.

Make and follow lists. Establish a detailed routine where everyone knows each job but does their own every single time like clockwork. A few hand signals from a good spotter (that is also learned) work well for parking.

This is page four and I have not seen any red flags, only good advice, helpful hints and friendly like-minded campers. That is pretty much what camping is about.

Happy camping to you! : )
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Congratulations on your new trailer and welcome to the forum!

After 50 years of tent camping and a year tryout with a "struggleup" we spent three years looking for the perfect trailer for us and we found it.

A shakedown camp with experienced friends was a great way to learn the basics. We learned three things that have made camping easy and enjoyable. Keep ice cream in the freezer. Remember you're towing a bathroom. Throw all toilet paper in a separate small garbage bag. We use orange newspaper bags and tie 'em off as needed.

We wash dishes in a basin that fits perfectly in the sink. All greasy water or anything that might cause the grey tank to smell gets poured in the toilet - easy two steps away in our little rig. : ) And speaking of black tank - you can never have too much liquid in it.

Reading and watching videos is helpful, but use it to brainstorm and gather ideas. Set up the basics, but see what you actually need or would like to have as you gain experience. A refrig fan is a basic, big heavy black rubber gloves for the black tank are not. Get a few boxes of Harbor Freight blue nitrile gloves - they work for everything.

Make and follow lists. Establish a detailed routine where everyone knows each job but does their own every single time like clockwork. A few hand signals from a good spotter (that is also learned) work well for parking.

This is page four and I have not seen any red flags, only good advice, helpful hints and friendly like-minded campers. That is pretty much what camping is about.

Happy camping to you! : )

Wow lots of great info thank you
Vento_R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #43

I wish that I knew then before we bought the second pop up that we should have bought a TT instead. What a difference life makes when you have a TT. No more popping, setting up and sweating it out because something isn't right or you spend hours not seconds getting ready to relax under the awning. Welcome to TT. You will love it. We ended up going from a sleeps 3 to a 5 due to the fact we suddenly added a few more friends to the agenda. Going to Colorado in July. Can't wait. The only reason I did not want a TT is because I drive a school bus and did not want to deal with more tail swing. But TT are great things and glad I have the bus experience behind me. Backing is easy once you know how to handle the mirrors. Happy travels.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #44

Congratulations!!!
DO NOT do your Pre-Delivery walk through alone.
Use rvinspectionspecialits.com
Even if you've been RVing for over thirty years like myself.
Best money you will ever spend after the purchase.
Old 02-25-2019, 12:21 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Throw all toilet paper in a separate small garbage bag

Wait... you dont buy the septic/trailer safe single ply and flush??? Is this common? I couldn't bag my toilet paper unless I was doing it in the woods.

Not criticizing I'm just wondering how common this is and how beneficial it's been for others?
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Wait... you dont buy the septic/trailer safe single ply and flush??? Is this common? I couldn't bag my toilet paper unless I was doing it in the woods.

Not criticizing I'm just wondering how common this is and how beneficial it's been for others?

Also wondering about this one....
Trophyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyduck View Post
Lordy! X2
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophyduck View Post

I'm trying to imagine where that little orange newspaper bag is before it's "tied off as needed".
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote